About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=da2e458401de1a077b221c07f0bc28bcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blending Hair By Hand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthMel (Melissa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Blending Hair By Hand? Reply with quote

I ordered one package each of several different colors that I thought might work with Merumeru's hair and want to try blending to see what I get. I want to get this done this weekend before the sale ends on Texas Beauty Supplies' site, so I can buy more hair. I don't have a hackle, so I will need to blend by hand.

I cannot find instructions on here or online that show me how to do this. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.
ZeroCooL (Nick)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

essentially a hackle is just a big brush/comb. Can you not just whip it back and forth through the biggest brush you can find?

Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blended my entire suit by hand-the wig and makeup students at my school advised against using a hackle because you lose hair. And the head of that department actually remarked on how natural the blending looked.

Basically, I straightened all my hair at once, then cut it into its proper length (usually I cut the braids into three sections each, between 8-10 inches when folded in half). I kept the three sections separate from each other because I found it was the perfect amount to work with (I bound them in regular sized hair ties). For Chewie my colour ratio was about 5 braids of #27 to 1 braid #6, so after each #6 braid was cut into 3 lengths, I divided it into 5 portions and added them to the #27 bundles. From there, I took each bundle and just carefully pulled the strands apart and laid them back into each other until the colours looked reasonably blended.

The best advice I can give is to always keep your ratio in mind. It doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, natural hair isn't. I hope this helps. I can probably post a couple photos if need be. Good luck!
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacca9 wrote:
makeup students at my school advised against using a hackle because you lose hair.
At first you will, be once you get the hang of hackling you won't lose much at all. Anyone who is losing lots of hair when they hackle is probably making one of the following mistakes.
  1. Trying to mix too much hair at once. When mixing Chewie's brown hair, I use half a bag of #27 and 1/4 of a bag #6, plus a small amount of grey.
  2. Trying to hackle tangled hair. Most of the time the ends are a bit tangled, so I gently and slowly run each color through the hackle and work out the knots, without pulling the hair so hard that the tangles get stuck on the nails/teeth and get pulled out of my hand. Once the tangles are out you can whip it back and forth really quickly without losing much.

You can also avoid losing hair by using hair drawing cards/mats. Lay the hair down into the card towards one end of the hank of hair (rather than in the middle) and when you grab hair to tie in, grab it from the long end, not the short end.

Bacca9 wrote:
Basically, I straightened all my hair at once, then cut it into its proper length (usually I cut the braids into three sections each, between 8-10 inches when folded in half). I kept the three sections separate from each other because I found it was the perfect amount to work with (I bound them in regular sized hair ties). For Chewie my colour ratio was about 5 braids of #27 to 1 braid #6, so after each #6 braid was cut into 3 lengths, I divided it into 5 portions and added them to the #27 bundles. From there, I took each bundle and just carefully pulled the strands apart and laid them back into each other until the colours looked reasonably blended.

The best advice I can give is to always keep your ratio in mind. It doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, natural hair isn't. I hope this helps. I can probably post a couple photos if need be. Good luck!

This is great advice. I will be sure to add this to my new Chewie page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: