About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e4e2664a508df840fb3dcf24c01c5038Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

September Walk a Thon for St. Judes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Central Base -> Northern Sector Events (MN, ND, SD)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commander RK (Rob Keisacker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: September Walk a Thon for St. Judes Reply with quote

Hey all,
I was contacted by St. Judes today wondering if I could put together a walk a thon in our area to help raise funds for St. Judes. As many of you know, Our son Ian had a brain tumor, and the protocol that was used over at the Mayo Clinic came from St. Judes. This protocol has saved his life, as we have seen several children in our area not make it from the same tumor, but different treatment.
I set it up for Sept. 8th, but see that is the day of the Buddy Walk, and I obviously am not going to put it on that weekend. September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, so it will be that month, just not sure what day. I need suggestions. I would like to make this a monstrously huge event if at all possible, and as many troopers that could make it would be great!!!!!
I have some ideas for PR and for themes, but let me know some dates that would work for people. This same post is over on the CG boards, but I am starting to get dates and interests right now.
Thanks all!!
Rob

Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on scheduling I would be very interested in this, great cause. I will watch for updates.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I know for me the 8th and 15th are out for sure. I would love to join you guys for this but I don't know if I could swing another road trip this year. The 15th is a weekend a bunch of us Star Wars fans up here go camping so, others in my area may also be out for that weekend.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the lady I was talking to on the phone, and we discussed it a little bit about Labor Day Weekend, September 1st. Positive is that it is a long holiday weekend, and we might get a good turn out with groups of families. Negative is that it is a long holiday weekend, and people might be out of town with big groups of families. Smile What are some thoughts??????

Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah, it being a holiday weekend is why I wasn't going to suggest it, because it could really go either way. I would say, it could be possible...but you'd want to get the word out sooner rather than later to try to get people before they make plans.
Hmm...nothing is currently on my calendar but that weekend is kicking me for some reason, like as if I had planned something and didn't put it in my calendar, uh-oh...Are you planning on this being an every year kind of thing?
If so, having it on or right around a holiday weekend is good, makes it easy to tell people, it's always the weekend before Labor Day, or something like that (shrug) I know...not very helpful.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
hah, it being a holiday weekend is why I wasn't going to suggest it, because it could really go either way. I would say, it could be possible...but you'd want to get the word out sooner rather than later to try to get people before they make plans.
Hmm...nothing is currently on my calendar but that weekend is kicking me for some reason, like as if I had planned something and didn't put it in my calendar, uh-oh...Are you planning on this being an every year kind of thing?
If so, having it on or right around a holiday weekend is good, makes it easy to tell people, it's always the weekend before Labor Day, or something like that (shrug) I know...not very helpful.

This is exactly the kind of things I need to hear. I wasn't even thinking beyond this year, but I am sure it would be possible. I am also struggling with the idea of "do we keep it a walk, or do we have a carnival type of atmosphere?" I already spoke with one of the managers at our Chili's restaurant, as they are a HUGE supporter of St. Jude's, and they have already said they would donate chips and salsa for the thing.
Thanks!

Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander RK wrote:

This is exactly the kind of things I need to hear. I wasn't even thinking beyond this year, but I am sure it would be possible. I am also struggling with the idea of "do we keep it a walk, or do we have a carnival type of atmosphere?" I already spoke with one of the managers at our Chili's restaurant, as they are a HUGE supporter of St. Jude's, and they have already said they would donate chips and salsa for the thing.
Thanks!

I know one of the walks we do for the March of Dimes every year has some things going on at the end of the event. Though, most people just get their hot dog and leave. But they have a DJ promoting all the sponsors and interviewing the crowd, playing music, etc. Then each sponsor gets a chance to setup a booth and do whatever. I think it's for sure a good thing to have something at the end. Maybe if there was more of a festival/carnival type feel people would hang around more at the end?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Central Base -> Northern Sector Events (MN, ND, SD) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: