About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=115bffd547de5673385b3bbb51e3e332Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Proposed Tutorial: Modifying a Hasbro CT Helmet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Movie clones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaiden ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Proposed Tutorial: Modifying a Hasbro CT Helmet Reply with quote

Click here for my blog showing my conversion of a Hasbro Clone Trooper helmet into a replica of the Obi-Wan helmet from the new Clone Wars movie.

Enjoy!

David.
darthig88 (Ed Bartlebaugh)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAAAAAAAWEeeeeeet
Thx for the post now I have to jump on that!!!!!
Silverback (Richard Berry)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaiden, I know you were probably in it to see or prove that it can be done (and you did a great job, really. It looks awesome) but what would you say the bottom line as far as cost goes for this conversion? Would you suggest this method of getting a clone helmet over getting a kit from elsewhere?...as far as skill required in making it and money invested in it. How big is it compared to a average clone helmet kit?

I think this is a great walk through and if it'll fit both my head and my wallet then I plan on useing it - if this would be something that would work for poeple with smaller builds (and heads) then I will pass it along to them. Again, well done!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually worn one of thee and it's very nice. Very comfortable and, for the price tag, pretty decent.

It's similar in size to the Rubies AOTC helmet. I had an event locally with a member wearing his custom ARC. He had some problems with the Rubies bucket he was wearing and used one of these. He was much more satisfied with the hasbro helmet. Smile
jaiden ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, folks! I appreciate it.

As far as cost, I'd have to say for someone who already has the extras lying around from other projects, the only real cost would be the helmet ($30) But for those who don't have the stuff already on hand, it might run near $100 or more for all the necessary pieces (including the helmet) so, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't already familiar to costuming or doesn't already have the tools handy. That said, it's really a toss up between doing a conversion versus buying a kit. I know some kits can run close to $200 before tools, so it's up to each person to decide what they want to do.

It's a great base to work on. I loved doing it, and with the tools it only took me about a week (working a little each night).

Also, I'm going to be upgrading my blog with more pictures and diagrams in the future to have it be more of a step-by-step process.

And, now having seen the CW movie where Obi-Wan never wears the helmet Evil or Very Mad , I may be turning it into a Phase 1 Cody or Fox.

David.
Felgercarb (David Hayes)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work my friend, well done.
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I want to do that too! Too bad they cost three times as much over here... Confused
jaiden ()

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blog has been edited to add patterns for the visor.

David.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blog updated again.

http://whitenoisecreations.blogspot.com/

This time, I'm changing the never-seen-on-screen Obi-Wan into a Phase I Commander Cody.

I'm also working on a Commander visor specifically to fit the Hasbro helmet.

David.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive i may look at doing one of those my self sometime in the near future..

Again well done...
clone

A Jedi whose lightsaber is guided by the Force need not fear the outcome of any battle."
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Your thread got me inspired to start on a Clone Trooper costume!

The "Plastic welder" that you used, is that a electric tool of some kind, or an adhesive such as "Devcon Plastic Welder" ?

Thanks.
jaiden ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several different types of adhesives you can use. Plastic Welder is what most armorers use to put their sets together. What I used is just called "Welder." It's actually a contact adhesive I found at Wal-Mart. It works very well if you follow the directions exactly. I used it to hold the bolts on my Mando armor plates and have not had any problems with it.

David.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that lid conversion is awesome well done Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Movie clones All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: