About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9110bd398fa31975e325764b6c79044cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Pilot in the making
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Pilot in the making Reply with quote

I have been bitten by the bug and have two costumes going at the same time. The first one is my Jedi costume, which is close to being finished and ready for approval. http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39554

I have always loved the Rebel Pilot costume, and decided to create a Pilot character also. I have everything coming together, so far have the boots and aluminum flares and arm tools in hand. The com pad should be with me with in the week and the flight suit, leg flare holder, vest, harness and gloves mid next month. The helmet is commissioned and should be done by mid August. That just leaves the chest box which I am hoping for next month. I am really excited to see it all come together. here is a little back story to the character.

Name :- Lieutenant Nathaniel Blaine (son of Obi-Diah Blaine)

Pilots a T-65 X-wing Starfighter.

Home World :- Alderaan.

Current location:- Deployed to Yavin to fly re-con. missions.

Carries a DL-44 side arm.

I will add pictures as the costume comes together. Am I missing anything?

Last edited by Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn) on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the outfit!

Just an FYI, you can't have a lightsaber on your pilot unless you're portraying a face character that carries a lightsaber with their X-wing pilot outfit (i.e. Luke). Just don't include it in your pictures when you submit the costume for approval. After that, you can take it with you if you wish, though sometimes you may be asked to not have your lightsaber for some formal "official" events.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Just an FYI, you can't have a lightsaber on your pilot unless you're portraying a face character that carries a lightsaber with their X-wing pilot outfit (i.e. Luke). Just don't include it in your pictures when you submit the costume for approval. After that, you can take it with you if you wish, though sometimes you may be asked to not have your lightsaber for some formal "official" events.

Thanks for the info on that, I didn't know. I don't want to seem silly but I do have to ask why? just curious.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings something to mind of a similar note.... Can Jedi "markings" be on our helmets? New Republic crest on one side, Jedi crest on the other, for instance?
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenwood wrote:
Blue Banshee Leader wrote:

Thanks for the info on that, I didn't know. I don't want to seem silly but I do have to ask why? just curious.

It's about being "Canon" or at least looking like you could have been one of the pilots in the movies. There were no Jedi during that time except for a single farm boy/Jedi in training. Of course there are the EU characters that were Jedi but that takes place in a timeline after Ep VI.

David L.
Farlander ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:

It's about being "Canon" or at least looking like you could have been one of the pilots in the movies. There were no Jedi during that time except for a single farm boy/Jedi in training. Of course there are the EU characters that were Jedi but that takes place in a timeline after Ep VI.

David L.

You bring up a good point... Most pilots we have fall within the domain of the movies. In fact the category under the costuming standards master list is "Rebel Pilot Costume Standards" as opposed to "New Republic Pilot Costume Standards". That said, though I can't find it at the moment, I seem to recall (most likely in the forums) mention of E-Wing pilots. If such were approved, then though it may be just a technicality, the category might have to be changed from Rebel to New Republic, as no E-wings existed in the movies. Perhaps the point is moot, and I'm day dreaming up nonexistent posts. However, it bares asking the question - why do we not have a section for Expanded Universe pilots? Not enough source pictures? Too big a can of worms to open?

Constructive feedback requested. :-)
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an authority here, or even very knowldgeable on the EU stuff, but the lack of good source pictures is probably one reason of a few. The only thing you have to go by are illustrations and drawings that aren't usually very consistant. Add that to the rule for three separate sources to get a costume approved, and you often don't find all of the matching details needed to actually complete a costume.
The artists are often not too concerned about making every little detail look like it's supposed to. Even action figures often have details on them that do not exactly match up with the established costumes that we have come to know. Then a decision needs to be made of which available details should be chosen to make the standard from. That's where things may become difficult because you will have various opinions on the subject.

David L.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty much as DroidWelder said: there aren't enough decent and consistent references for EU pilots. While some pilots in the EU were Jedi (and thus carried lightsabers), consistent references for such characters are few and far between. Each reference will have something different. Some characters don't have any visual references at all.
So it's easier to just set it so pilots can't have official RL acceptance with lightsabers unless they're portraying an acceptable face character that has a lightsaber.
But like I said, once you have a formal pilot accepted, you can always carry the lightsaber with you thereafter. Just keep in mind that you may (rarely) be asked to remove your lightsaber for formal troops.

As for E-wing pilots... there are no references for them. What do they look like? What do they wear? What color flightsuits do they have? What type of chestbox and helmet? The same goes for Z-95 pilots, K-wing pilots, and so on. There are no visual references for them so there's really no way to tell what the pilots really look like.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Farlander ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent comments, all. Very similar to what I was thinking, just wanted to pick others' brains to see what we came up with. Thank you!
Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex, I will follow your lead on this. I didn't see anything in the costume standards so just figured it would be OK.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standards are sort of like real life military uniform regulations in that they are restrictive, not permissive ie. If it is not authorized, it's generally not allowed.

We're not as strict as the Real Militaries Laughing But the idea is that since we don't say "No stormtrooper armor" you still can't wear it as part of a pilot costume, otherwise we would be forced to list every possible thing that you couldn't wear. It's much easier and practical to list only what you can wear.

If you have found something in a film, book, comic, etc. or are just curious, by all means ask! We're always looking to make our costumes more accurate and to explore the SW universe.

From the RL charter: "Our goal will always be the accurate presentation and portrayal of these costumes."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input, I didn't mean to open a can of worms sorry Sad I have removed the saber from my Formal character. I should have everything together by mid month.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you put on your helmet is up to you as long as it looks like it belongs in the Star Wars universe... Just remember no real world unit markings or symbols.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking questions is never a problem! Not asking questions and spending money on things that may not be acceptable, then you might be sorry Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically.... Let's say a "character" that one of us makes up and costumes as has something in his lineage, be it Jedi, Mandalorian, something his character would take pride in and want to represent... Could the logos, crests, etc. of that faction be represented on a helmet? Presuming it's not Imperial, of course, hah!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: