Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=51e1eacb63e43db06f3f89a37ac737aeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Feezle's WIP (Wookiee in progress) - Sculpt feedback needed!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Feezle's WIP (Wookiee in progress) - Sculpt feedback needed! Reply with quote

I made a trip to Home Depot today. Bought a bunch of 4" foam core pvc and a sheet of the pink foam. Oh and a mess of duct tape.

Still finalizing my plans for the lifts. I'm thinking about 13" should do.

What type of glue do you guys use on the foam?

Last edited by Feezle () on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make foamboard adhesive that comes in a tube like for a caulk gun. I would highly recommend that. I used it to glue the foam and wood together inside my feet and it hasn't come apart yet in over 18 months of heavy trooping!!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Will pick some up.
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to ditch the homemade lift plan and just go with stilts. After seeing the difference it made with Lumpy's, I figured it was the way to go since I'm even shorter.

I went with these:http://www.stilts.com/

Mine are the 15" ones though. Anyone try these? I was reading on a drywall forum and people were saying they are basically old man stilts. Stilts for people with bad knees and bad backs. Since they have the stabilizer on both sides, they are supposed to be a lot easier on your body.

Last edited by Feezle () on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me. I'm not really sure what they mean by "old man" stilts. The hinges and stabilizers are standard on all stilts I have ever seen. The various hinges allow the ankle to move back and forth and the springs and stabilizer ensure they remain parallel and upright.

The end result is the same as the spring and hinge on the Skywalker stilts, it's just a different mechanism.
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of them complained that with the stabilizer on only one side, they would have to strap it on very tight and when they walked for a while, the strap would tend to pull their leg towards the stabilizer and hurt their knees. Since this one secures your leg. Between two stabilizers, there isn't a constant tug of war with your leg. They also said that you don't have to tight the strap very much.

I've never worn any stilts so I can't verify this but it sounded reasonable to me. The price was the attractive part.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no idea what they are talking about. But give them a shot. Hopefully we'll all get together at C6 and compare all of our various stilts, lifts, and platforms.
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was of the threads: http://www.drywalltalk.com/f9/s2-stilts-2474/&ved=0CBgQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNHLMTmqQqLu_texdMScMtJm_-OVjQ

Like I said, I don't know. I wanted the Skywalkers but if I would have bought them I wouldn't have had as much for the rest of the costume. Hoping to go to CVI so it would be cool to compare. I wish there was somewhere I could have gone to check out different options.
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dive mesh at this link is the same stuff right?

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/mesh.html
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucked out and found the black mesh at JoAnns. Bought all they had. About 10 yards. I'm sure it is way too much but I figured I would pick it up since I'm sure there will be someone looking for black since it never seems to be in stock.

Waiting for the stilts to come in so I can figure out how I'm going to put things together. I've heard this stuff is a pain to sew but I'll be giving it a shot anyway.
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dismount was a little tricky but so far, I like!
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feezle wrote:
I've heard this stuff is a pain to sew but I'll be giving it a shot anyway.

My wife did the sewing for me on my suit. The sewing was a pain but she found she got better results when she folded a 1" piece of solid material over the seam and then sewed through that. its a little hard to explain but before you sew you should have a piece of solid material, the two layers of mesh material and then the other half of the solid material.

If that doesn't explain it well enough let me know and I will try to draw up a picture of what I mean.

Has anyone else used this method?
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually saw this tip when I was researching mesh online. I was planning on using it as well. Smile
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the big debate is whether I attach the lower legs mesh to the stilts or just make the pants full length. Any tips on attaching the mesh to the stilts?
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried attaching them to the stilts. With all of the buckles and stuff it was just too hard to get them on. I am now attaching them to the legs so my pants are all on piece. It can be hard to hike everything up and drop it over the stilt but for me it seemed like the better option. Now I will be able to attach the stilts properly, tap down the buckles so they don't poke out and then stand deal with the costume a second step.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: