About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=898019d0b66a09c39b7efe0716cac45dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Are my Wookiee Shoes too big? (length and wdth)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Are my Wookiee Shoes too big? (length and wdth) Reply with quote

Hi guys (and girls) I've been bouncing the idea of stilts vs platforms. They both have their pros and cons. I figured because of the low cost to fashion some wookiee platforms, I'd go that route, but if it failed, it wouldn't be a big waste. In that case I'd go with some Skywalker stilts.

So I'm 5'11" and my goal (with wookiee forehead and hair is to be about 7'3")

These platforms are 10" high to the ball of the foot, then I slope up high heel style another 2 to 3 inches. Even though I used two 1/4" plywood panels in each shoe, they weigh only 4 pounds each. I wasn't lucky enough to find 3" foam, so I went with 2", and as you can tell from the pics, I went with 4 sheets wide (8 inches). My main weight is on the the three 2" sections, but that extra 2" sheet is to help my ankle from "rolling". Also you see a 3/4" piece of foam on the bottom on the outside to keep them angled in slightly:

I eyballed the length to be 18" WITHOUT wookiee toes (for reference, that is a size 12 shoe attached):

When wearing the wookiee shoe, feels stable and strong, however it make me look like I have Optimus Prime sized feet.

What are your suggestions? IS this about right or too big? I was thinking I could angular-ly cut down the extra 2" piece of foam on the side to narrow it at my real foot. As for the length, I could drastically cut the angle down in front shortening it a bit, I of course still need to attach the toes.

Any help or criticism is welcome!

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to see from the pictures without something to show the scale of the feet. Please be sure to keep them a little block like as possible. Also when you make your hair legs be sure to flair the net legs way out at the bottom so you can not see the lifts protruding out and give you that walking on blocks look. Its ok to have some what bigger than normal feet as long as it fits the over size of your overall wookiee.

Chewy Layers snow to print
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: