About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e0c2007dcfd6cb5eba35e51ff27104baMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Stilts and Weight Capacity Limits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Stilts and Weight Capacity Limits Reply with quote

Being at the 5'11" mark, I'm right at the point of stilts vs platforms. I decided that the fixed 14" stilts by dura-stilts would be the best. That was until I saw that they have a limit of 225lbs. I'm about 50lbs more than that, not including wearing the wookiee gear. I've searched for more stilts, but the only ones that seem to handle the weight are the 18"-24" adjustables by Buffalo. Unfortunately they are heavier and higher, but it may be the best choice.

Long story short, are any of you "heavier" wookies using the Skywalkers or Dura-stilts? They are rated at 225lbs, but maybe you guys haven't had issues. Just wondering what your experiences are like.

Thanks in advance.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ... much heavier than the recommended amount for Skywalker stilts. I still use them... and have been using them since 2008.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 14"dura stilts. Although I'm 185lbs now, before I got in shape I weighed 260lbs plus however much the wookiee weighs. I got my stilts in december of 2006 and lost the weight in mid 2009. I've done parades, gone up and down stairs, etc.

Remember to use silicone based lubricant on the stilts, not wd40, which will eat into the metal. I use liquid wrench.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
I have the 14"dura stilts.

These were the exact ones I was looking at. After I saw the limit warning, I noticed the design has 4 metal "posts" that are on the edges of the stilts. For some reason I envision them buckling outward under my massive 285lbs.:

The Skywalkers and the adjustable Dura-Stilts seem to have posts directly under the foot which seems more sturdy to me:

Like most people I don't like risking $$$, but it may be worth the investment for the fixed 14". My biggest concern isn't if they fail, I just don't want a failure with an injury!!
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skywalker stilts are the best most natural movement in the stilt family. you can not go wrong with them. They will hold you.....

Chewy Layers snow to print
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I float between 265-275 lbs... the squeek a bit, but have never broken.

The weights I am sure are set they way they are to prevent lawyers from having a field day.

They may not be designed for having a large amount of weight on them, but I imagine they were not designed to be used like they are.

The thought of the owners business model including Wookiee costumers seems a bit far fetched.

Laughing
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
I float between 265-275 lbs... the squeek a bit, but have never broken.

Bob, is it true for heavier folks you should "tighten down" the adjustment on the shock on the Skywalker?

SoloYT1300 wrote:

The weights I am sure are set they way they are to prevent lawyers from having a field day.

I called both companies yesterday, and the Dura-stilt person said when they were invented 50 years ago people were lighter, I laughed and agreed, but she did say slightly heavier people use them though. As for Skywalker, they gave me the lawyer answer of "it's rated for 225 per pair".

I have a bunch of extra insulation foam in the garage, so for giggles I'm going to try and make a pair of platforms. I figure besides wasted time, I wont be out much. I'm 5'11", so a if I can squeeze a 10" platform with a 3" heal, plus Chewies higher forehead, I should be just over 7'. Not a canon height, but taller than your average Joe. If the shoes dont work in testing, then I'll go the stilts option and build the pant's around them.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shocks should be adjust either way... no matter what your weight is. When your standing if you list forward, you need more spring tightening. If you try to list forward and nothing happens, you need to back off the spring.

I would suggest if you go down this paath... ytou also create leather washers for the spring area as well... to help dampen the noise of the recoil.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with the Skywalker stilts, have any of you mod-ed (cut them) down to reduce the height? Or at least does it look like you can?

I haven't seen them in person, but from the pictures, it looks like most of the mechanics are in the foot and where you buckle in. For the rest of it, it looks like an aluminum shaft. If you were to do a good cut job, you could probably lower it by 4" inches or so.

18-30" when you are about 6', this puts you at 7'6" not including 4 or 5 inches of wookiee forehead hand hair. My thought is a lot of indoor buildings have 8' ceilings . I'd hate to get my wookiee hair get caught in the fire sprinklers!

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a plan for mine with taking them down a few inches... with the idea I can always raise them back to the height I am at now if I am not happy with the change. With the right tools the skywalkers can be reduced in size. Remember when you do this modification due to physics will recuire modification to the springs as well.

Out of all the stilts out there I am betting the Skywalkers are the easiest to modify.

My 2 cents...
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Remember when you do this modification due to physics will recuire modification to the springs as well.

Good point. I didn't think of this. You (we) might get lucky and only a tightening or loosening of the nut on the spring might do it. But definitely a consideration before doing the mod..

Before I make my pants I just need to decide the height and whether I'm going with platforms or stilts. I'm almost finished with my prototype platforms and I'm about to put up photos for the wookiee community to critique.

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: