About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ad35a0eebc37a5ba924400689c2e4637Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Fingers, Toes & Claws
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Fingers, Toes & Claws Reply with quote

Ok, like a good noob I've searched for a while and looked at a lot of different builds. Also I read the Wookiee CRL:
    #4 Dark brown, gray, or black gloves should be worn. There should be enough overlap between the gloves and the wrists of the hair suit that no skin is exposed. Gloves may be made of leather, vinyl, cloth, or rubber.

#5 When worn, the feet must be completely covered with hair except for the bottom and the toes. The toes and toenails/claws must be visible.
My question to all the wookiee veterans and furry pros out there, what type, style of feet and hands did you use and the pros and cons?

Hands: I noticed the common comment of "people rarely look at a wookiees hands", and per the CRL it looks like you just have to have dark brown or black gloves. To me that's a no-brainer, I'd just get those dark brown home depot gloves. However I see a lot of folks get "costume gloves", then I see a lot of people are against costume gloves because of sweating issues. On the topic of fingers: the CRL doesn't mention claws, however if one was to do them, the color is shiny black right?

Toes: Looks like people are split on toes. Some have toenails. Some have claws. Some claws are black and some are off-white. The toes/feet vary in color some are tan, brown or gorilla black.

I just wanted to know the general consensus on these extremities and their respective colors. The CRL seems loose in this area, but I wanted to go along with the majority, or at least those with the most pro costumes.

Again even though I think I thoroughly researched this topic, I may have missed an obvious post that already discusses it, if so just point me in that direction. Thanks in advance!

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for the feet most use claws. I used nails because I went off images that I took from a wookiee on display vs what we had for the movie at the time. Back in 07 I could not find very good pics of the shoes so I went with what I had. What I did not know at the time was that these were shoes only used for the touring suites... and not used in the movies.

I ended up making them close to the ones above... just no hair attached to the shoe. My hair is part of the leg which snaps into place instead of part of the shoe. I may end up re-doing them eventually.

Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the hands, I just have a couple sets of the brown gardening gloves. I hot glued rows of hair onto the backs of the gloves (between the base of the fingers and wrists) to help with coverage.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my hands,i use those gorilla gloves from home depot. I glued some hair onto the backs of the hands all the way up to the second joint on the fingers. Additionally, I painted some fake fingernails black and glued them.

The original hands are just black leather gloves.

There are two different feet in the original trilogy. One set look like brown slippers with black claws or nails on them. These feet were used on the chewie that toured with the magic of myth exhibit in the 90's. The other set look more like human feet with either black or white claws. These feet can be seen at the star wars: where science meets imagination exhibit. Both feet are used in all three movies.

I based mine in the second type and painted them white.

The type of feet that bob mentioned can be seen in the start wars in concert prop display. They were also used with the wookiee senators in episode 1. They look like more detailed versions of the slippers mentioned above. To the best of my knowledge theywere not used in the ot.

Another set of feet are the revenge of the sith feet.

Most feet are rubber or foam, claws included.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
For my hands,i use those gorilla gloves from home depot. I glued some hair onto the backs of the hands all the way up to the second joint on the fingers. Additionally, I painted some fake fingernails black and glued them.

You were spot on Matt! While I was at Home Depot picking up foam for my platform shoe build, I spotted these "gorilla gloves" and they do appear perfect for wookiee hands.

My question is about the hair you glued on the gloves: we all know that Chewie has long hair hanging off his wrists/hands. These long hairs are of course screen accurate, but I know they also serve the purpose of creating the optical illusion of "longer arms".
Long story short, is your extra long hair glued on the gloves, or latch hooked on the edge of the wookiee wrists? My assumption is the wrists are more secure. Also how long is your hair there?

Thanks for the answers..

GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are glued onto the hands, although the screen used gloves had no hair on them, it does look like the suit in the ot covered the palms as well as the rest of the arms. In my photo archive of chewie you can see peter relaxing between takes with the suit open but still wearing the black leather gloves. In photos where he is wearing the body suit, only the fingers appear to be black leather.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your guys wookiee toes, what matieral did you cast in? Hollow or solid?

My plan is to make a two piece mold (top and bottom) then pour my material from the "back" flat surface where you'd mount the toes to the foot. Obviously the toes would point downward so I can pour my material from the top. I was thinking of using a semi-rigid foam, then airbrush to the right color.

Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todzilla wrote:
GotWookiee wrote:
For my hands,i use those gorilla gloves from home depot.

You were spot on Matt! While I was at Home Depot picking up foam for my platform shoe build, I spotted these "gorilla gloves" and they do appear perfect for wookiee hands.

This might have been overkill, but I wanted the hair to be removable from the gloves. I guess for "wear and tear" disassembling.

So I cut out a piece of mesh and reinforced "finger holes" using upholstery thread. Kinda looks like a girls 80s punk rock glove:

I'll be able to latch hook the hair on it, slip the fingers through, and with snaps, fasten down the wrists. I'm still not done trimming the excess mesh around the fingers so it's still a little sloppy. Also when your hand is in it, it's even less noticeable (finger mesh):

For the most part I can keep it together as a one piece, but if I ever need to, I can take the glove out:

Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also competed my toe sculpt. I'm going to cast it this weekend (I hope). Then I hope to churn out 10 of them using ridged foam, arrange them in a slight arc, and attached them to my foot.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use an almound for the nail... looks awesome!
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Did you use an almound for the nail... looks awesome!

Ha ha, I know, it kinda looks like it. Maybe subconsciously I made it that way because I was eating trail mix earlier!

Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics of the molding process:

Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received my Smooth-On foam and pigments this week and gave a shot at trying to cast some wookiee toes.

My first try went horribly wrong as my top board to my mold ended up sticking to the foam even though I sealed it and used mold release. Also it didn't stay clamped down and eventually the foam exploded the lid right off LOL. Also the color turned out more grey then brown. Not to mention the detail was horrible. I also think I used too much foam (2oz of part A to 2oz of Part B)

Second time turned out much better. I used 1oz to 1oz of foam. Got the pigment about where I wanted it (I'll still paint them via air brush, but wanted a good base color). Also I switched out the wood lid for a plastic sign lid and duct taped it down:

In costuming we always use the "6 foot rule" (as long as it looks good from 6 feet, you are ok). However I spent a lot of time on the Clone Trooper forums, and their standards are pretty high, they use the 3 foot rule Wink I would classify these toes somewhere between 6' and 3' for now.

Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havnt done any research on the feet yet, so I dont know anything on how they look, but these look awesome!!

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:

I too decided to go with the Black Gorrila gloves from Home Depot.

As far as comfort and durability, they are great!!! I did a two hour troop and the gloves were the very least of my worries.

I was wondering have any of you tried to paint them yet? All my friends loved the costume, they just critiqued how shiny and black the gloves look compared to the rest of the build and it looked a little "non-natural".

I was just thinking of airbrushing acrylic paint, hoping it would almost "stain" the gloves a duller black.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions. Again this is a minor upgrade, and not really an issue, I just want to keep dialing in my wookiee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: