About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2da6ee7fcd8332f82a828a5722cbcc1fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Female wooks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok is it me or does that one wookiee have SHORT arms! love the rest of his outfit but maybe less scissors to the arms? It almost looks like his hand was cut off Shocked Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Roheryn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound-boobies Very Happy Very Happy Still brainstorming...
And indeed, a bit too much trimming done (tmho)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ordered my stilts yesterday and after some brainstorming... I ordered a Dressmakers dummy off ebay lol. I figured after looking at the TX Tarfful thread it would be much easier to latchhook off a dummy lol. I get both this friday! (give or take a day) I am a bit aggervated with ikickshins I have yet to see my order had a few e-mails from them about one being out of stock but nothing else from them I dont even know if they shipped the rest.

Today I am framing my prized possetions (4 chewbacca pictures two of which are signed by the great man himself) and rearranging my room to make room for the sewing machine and dress dummy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Roheryn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a dummy as well, but they are pretty expensive. I have found a cheaper one, but that is just a torso... Still looking Very Happy
Just did another round through the house on my stilts. Not easy having to avoid daughter Havoc, dog Chaos and dog Mayhem Wink But it gets easier, though I still think they are pretty heavy. When the rain stops, I will try them outside tomorrow (and hopefully the neighbours are not at home)
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallabeccani wrote:
Ok is it me or does that one wookiee have SHORT arms! love the rest of his outfit but maybe less scissors to the arms? It almost looks like his hand was cut off Shocked Confused

Short arms are one of the big challenges with stilts. Scott (ForestMoonStudios) built arm extensions. Most of us use really long hair on the arms/hands.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youve got to be careful with your final height choice when choosing stilts because if your arms are too short that could affect being approved.

Correct proportions in this costume are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.....Think of the final height and then build from there. Feet size, arm length, head size, bandolier length, length of torso, are all based on the final size of your wookiee.

Go for a shorter wookiee, especially if you are doing a custom female. As long as its over 7' for approval. This will be much easier to keep the propotions correct for your size.

As far as arm length, make your sleeves longer than needed. 6-8 inches past your wrist is what I recommend. Then latch the hair to that. i dont have any hair on my gloves because it gets in the way when I want to grip something.
Add some nylon or plastic boning in the 6-8 inch sleeve extension so when you raise your arm or go to shake hands your sleeve will easily slip up to reveal your hand. The boning also keeps the shape of your arm and really adds length to the arms without any problem. You never really see Chewies hands in the movies anyway. Hope this helps a bit.......

Chewy Layers snow to print
Roheryn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Very Happy
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the chest correct for a female wookiee, I have been experimenting with some ideas. I would get a large chest front upper torso mannequin. I would pull the mesh tight to it and it should retain shape through the hair Not a ton, but enough to show a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the difficulty in the problem with the chest is not really the mounds themselves but the cleavage between the two. If you do not have the dip there it basically will look like a shirt going straight across.
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made paper mache breasts over balloons for my wife's WIP wookiee. We popped the balloons when they were dry and then we stuffed strips of foam padding inside with E6000. When pulled out of the padding, it had solidified. She then stuffed the breast shaped foam with more bits of foam and sewed around them with bits of a shirt and sewed the breasts into a compression/workout shirt.

She also made padding for her backside so her wookiee will have plenty of junk in the trunk (she's fairly petite). It's coming along nicely and I will encourage her to take some photos and start posting them on here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do! This was an idea I had been playing with myself was using an old bra on my dummy and stuffing it. Then I would put my material overtop it cutting out around the mounds then taking extra material and reforming the mound areas so I still have the dip inbetween. I do not have to worry much about my junk as I have plenty lol.
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will take more, but here's my wife doing the paper mache:

redsonja1313 ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

given what the other poster said about the speakers and sound--I'd be looking at mounting the speakers in the breasts. good baffling and your keeping the electrical away from you're body (in theory) so might help in heat reduction
Roheryn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the hair in! So happy. Went to work right away. From left to right it is strawberry blonde mix, amber mix and ash blonde mix. Going for the ones on the right. Thinking about using the same colorpattern as Chewie, but with these two colors.
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my wife's shirt with the extra large top bits:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: