About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c8cec87c254b645e82a2fc48948cb7a2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Female wooks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Female wooks Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Just introduced myself in the other threads a few days ago and I mentioned in it I am wanting to create 2 female wookiees. Well that is true... I plan to create Mallatobukk and my old SWG wookiee Kallabeccani who I think might be the bigger hit. I have been reading up on the forums and seen a few others interested in doing female wooks.

Kallabeccani has her own story which I have been writing for awhile now but there is a back story as to why she was created and how my love of wookiees came about. I also have started recreating the wookiee carbine that she would carry around.:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2938002885666&set=a.2819778610133.145550.1128945473&type=3&theater
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3097596195399&set=a.2819778610133.145550.1128945473&type=3&theater

I plan on working from the ground up and have no trouble when it comes to making the weaved part of the costume. But my questions relate to the stilts... So how would you go about training yourself to walk on the stilts for the first time? I was thinking of building 6" lifts then graduating up to 10" before finalizing myself to the 14" drywall stilts.

The hair I am already starting to collect as she is a chestnut and white colored wook with random black hairs mixed in a bit. I am thinking the chestnut coloring is going to be a mix of a few different shades of browns to not a flat color. Here is what she looked like in the game: (the pics don't do her justice)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/Andeshan/screenShot0538.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/Andeshan/screenShot0004.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/Andeshan/screenShot0001.jpg

I know the mask will also be more difficult area to work on so leaving that till closer to last to have someone assist me with this. I know I talked to Matt at CVI and the fringe panel was great! I have the whole panel on video to look back on and willing to share if anyone would like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be suprised to find that most people who use stilts... just practice.

I have always the same height of stilt and have yet to fall. The first few minutes just have a few people around you to help yah along... for most its a matter of a few seconds to get the hang of it.

some advice:

Do not stand directly in front of a wookiee when he/she is moving... it's not so easy to stop on a dime!

Never stop in front of a wookiee unless he/she sees you... so look for eye contact!

Do not pull. push, or anything that would throw off the balance of the wookiee.

Do not stand on our hair... when we move... you will make things very difficult for us!

While you are first getting use to stilts... avoid picking up objects of weight... and avoid weapons, they really are not needed anyways. Once you have the hang of it... bowcasters are cool, but usually get in the way anyways.

my 2 cents....

Bob
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bolted a pair of shoes onto mine and just started practicing. First in my apartment, then outside near a wall. Take it slow and let your body figure it out. start with flat, level surfaces. Pretty soon it will be another pair of shoes.
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little self conscious about walking around in my lifts at first. So what I did was take my dog for a walk during the night when most people are headed to bed. Smile Practice, practice!

I remember falling at a con once. It was very crowded and I just couldn't get proper footing and fell. I quickly got up and played it off fairly well, a few people got a chuckle at my recovery antics. Smile
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to a lady down at CVI that will be doing this same Wookiee... not sure if that was you?

I am excited to see someone take this character on. Very Happy
teresaotter (Teresa)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: re: Female wooks Reply with quote

~*Ladies in the house!!!*~

So, for your female, are you going to somehow include six breasts, since that is apparently A Thing?

Can't wait to see what you come up with! I secretly want to create an albino Wookiee, but that will be something for much later in the future.

(Temporarily leaving Lurkdom to cheer you on!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had on the white wig and white and chocolate jedi outfit so more than likely you was talking to me. My jedi outfit was based off the color of the wook.

Ok as for the six breasted thing... um I am not sure how that would work out with the kids. I am mostly going for a more feminine look without overdoing it. Longer hair on head beading possibly and more of an hourglass look. Plus looking at bears and apes/gorillas they do have the six breasts but only two are pronounced unless nursing. So it might be possible to accent the top two but keep them completely covered at same time I would think? Not so flat chested? Of course being a female under the costume will kind help that a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallabeccani wrote:
I had on the white wig and white and chocolate jedi outfit so more than likely you was talking to me. My jedi outfit was based off the color of the wook.

Ok as for the six breasted thing... um I am not sure how that would work out with the kids. I am mostly going for a more feminine look without overdoing it. Longer hair on head beading possibly and more of an hourglass look. Plus looking at bears and apes/gorillas they do have the six breasts but only two are pronounced unless nursing. So it might be possible to accent the top two but keep them completely covered at same time I would think? Not so flat chested? Of course being a female under the costume will kind help that a bit.

You are the one. Very Happy
You showed my wife and I the picture on your phone.
I am really looking forward to seeing this. I say go with the hour glass look. Let everyone know you are a female Wookiee character. Why take a character like that and make it look like a male Wookiee.
Everyone here are more than willing to help out with advice.
So... welcome. hugs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laughed at one time saying when i got her done to put a rebel cheerleader outfit on her at least once. But first thing is first. Learn how to walk in stilts and not break my neck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update:

So I got full use of the sewing machine and am planning my strategy. Which do you think is better a one piece suit or two? I was thinking two personally but would love opinions..
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original suits are all one piece suits that split open at the back. Bob also made a one piece that opens at the crotch.

Most everyone else has done a two piece suit, typically with suspenders holding the pants up. The two piece has the advantage of being easier to put on and take off. A one piece will probably require someone else to help depending on how it opens. It's also easier to wash since the individual pieces are smaller. The main issue is to ensure you have enough overlap at the waist and pelvis to keep things covered when you lean, bend, or sit down.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original suits are all one piece suits that split open at the back. Bob also made a one piece that opens at the crotch.

Most everyone else has done a two piece suit, typically with suspenders holding the pants up. The two piece had the advantage of being easier to put on and off. It's also easier to wash since it is smaller. The main issue is to ensure you have enough overlap at the waist and pelvis to keep things covered when you lean, bend, or sit down.
Roheryn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woud a two piece suit also work if you're doing a slender female wookiee?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking the two piece for sure and I have some idea's on how to make her look more female. The first thing I was going to do was go to joann fabrics to their bra section (where you can get bra padding and stuff to make bra's) and get a pair of D cups (padded of course) to place inside the chest area. This should give a bit more feminine look to that area.

To slim down the waist area I was thinking Twill tape / bias tape in 3-4 sections under the chest to navel area only attached to the front of the top half (from side to side) but long enough cords to reach behing the person to tie or snap closed. this should pull the front of the top in but leave the back to hang normally I would think.

What do you think?
Roheryn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't thought of that one, but it sounds great! That way you can make it as slim as you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: