About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=da7aa627007998c7dce37e5e4270f994Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kenobi 'On Duty' costume clarification please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piney ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Kenobi 'On Duty' costume clarification please Reply with quote

okay, so this is probably well known but I am a newbie.

In ANH, Ben does not wear his big *hot* dark brown outer robe while indoors ( in his home, on the falcon ) and he does wear it indoors ( in the cantina, on the deathstar) so regarding the charter about 'On Duty' :

'On Duty: This is when a member is in costume and is "working the floor" during the operating hours of the event or convention. All costume pieces should stay on and the representation of the character should be kept intact, '

I would assume, that means the brown outer robes stay on , when I am 'on duty' , correct ?

Given that, is there any time/place while I am attending, say, Dragon*con; that I can be walking around like this :

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8284/7809875264_ffef3eb8e0.jpg

Thanks for your attention !
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "brown robe with pointed hood" is a requirement for formal status with the "Old Ben" costume (Obi-wan Kenobi, Eps. IV, V and VI).

There's no provisions in the costume standards for "on duty or "off duty". Therefore, I would offer the following to answer your question:

If you are officially representing the Rebel Legion (say...serving duty at a Rebel Legion table or in a parade marching with the Rebel Legion or the KJO, etc.) your outer brown robe should be on (in my opinion). If you are at a formal event sponsored by LucasFilm, Ltd., I'm thinking your robe should be on at all times.

If, on the other hand, you're at a sci-fi/fantasy convention, just walking around and it's hot and you don't want to have your robe on...okay. No one is going to say anything to you.

In fact, I honestly doubt anyone would say anything to you anyway (perhaps except at a formal LFL event...and the folks at LFL dictate who can troop those events and how the costumes are to be worn).

Bottom line: for the most part, I dont' think it really matters a great deal (except where I stated) to have your robe on or not. If you're trooping anywhere near my location (Alabama), then you know it's not just FREAKING HOT down South, it's like "hell" hot and humid. Be as comfortable as you can. In other words, unless someone from LFL or someone representing LFL (like a RL/LFL laison) tells you to have your robe on, then wear it if you like...or not Wink

Perhaps someone else will chime in with another opinion.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Jedi Knight Obi (Chad Pulliam)
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say leave it on for Formal and at an Informal setting .. Less hi profile event.. take the robe off if its hot. Off/On as you feel comfortable. Especially if you are trooping for a long extended period of time. Im only an hour away from you and its just as hot and humid... if not hotter here than Alabama. Laughing

We just did a small comic con event at a library con. Called Librarycon. You can see in those photos in the BRB that I have my robe on at all times. We had a break room setup there to disrobe and cool off then head back out.

You can also watch and see, at events, what other people are doing. Sometimes we have a few on and few off as a rotation schedule for extended period events. Meaning events lasting 3 to 4 hours or more.

As Roger said. A parade should always be your best formal. Your on local TV and you want your best presentation. So Full Robe and Dress for Formal requirements.

One of the parades we participate in that has a huge crowd is the St Paddy's day parade in Charlotte. We walk with the 501st Carolina Garrison.

Hope that helps a little more adding on what Roger said.

Ben

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
NC Regional Captain-Eastern North Carolina
Piney ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies ! I knew the formal requirements , ah , require it all, so I indeed kept it all together for all 'RL Moments' like the parade (this is at Dragon*con, my first and so far only RL event), and I left the outer robe and white hair-paint in my room for just wandering around (btw, I was the only jedi on the Subway and it was fine)
FWIW, I still was asked to pose by fans young and old, it is all about that Jedi attitude : D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: