About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=155c46b37af28a4319cbdba0029849d9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Costume Containers as Luggage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JM Saber-Slinger (John-Michael)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Costume Containers as Luggage Reply with quote

GOOD NEWS: I just bought me a Stanley 50-gallon container on wheels and I absolutely love it! It fits both my Star Wars costumes (Rebel FleetTrooper and Generic Jedi) AND props!

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Tool-Storage/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc22e/R-202300294/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UCfvI6Ck-P0

BAD NEWS: I'm going to C6 and I can't get it on a plane as checked luggage, even if I pay the $200 extra that Southwest Airlines wants for larger and heavier stuff because, at 83 inches, it exceeds size limitations of 80 inches (height + length + width).

I'm worried about my Rebel Fleet Trooper helmet and blasters getting damaged in transit, and this box seems to be sturdy enough to provide adequate protection.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative containers and where I can buy them in time for C6?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kyle Darklighter (Garrett K McCarthy)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These type off lockers at Walmart are idea for travel.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Footlocker-Set-of-2/11014791
I've gone from NH to GA & FL close to a dozen times with a pair of these. They are smaller but very sturdy and at the maximum range to not pay the oversized charge on most airlines. I can fit 90% of a clone trooper in 1 with leftover spots for smaller items.

Garrett
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into having it transported by one of the 501st that is hauling gear?
I know that Damien will be hauling Stanley tubs, droids, ect.. to CVI and the LA area is his first pickup point.

It's $100 per tub for transport.

Here's the thread
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40014

You can drop your tub off at the pickup point ahead of time if needed, and they will load it for you when Damien arrives.

David L.
Jaren Valnor (Ryan Miorelli)
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liking this tote, bought one the other day...does it need to be lined with foam or taped for extra security or anything like that? Thanks!
Kyle Darklighter (Garrett K McCarthy)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your transporting a set of armor it can't hurt to toss down a thin foam sheet. I normally wrap mine in a heavy twin sheet to transport. Use soft parts and mundane clothing as padding as well. I've been using the same case for 5-8 years off and on with at least 5 trips on airlines & it's still strong.

Garrett
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Darklighter wrote:
These type off lockers at Walmart are idea for travel.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Footlocker-Set-of-2/11014791
I've gone from NH to GA & FL close to a dozen times with a pair of these. They are smaller but very sturdy and at the maximum range to not pay the oversized charge on most airlines. I can fit 90% of a clone trooper in 1 with leftover spots for smaller items.

Garrett

I also have one of those...
I had wanted to go larger also but checked my airlines for their regulations and found that the Sterilite was going to be my best bet...

I have managed to fit into that Sterilite:

My entire Endor Commando costume (using the soft pack instead of the hard pack)

My entire Hoth Trench Trooper costume - including the hardpack...but less the rifle and hat...the rifle is arriving with one of my roomies who is driving...and the hat I am probably going to "wear".

A complete Jedi costume....I have a custom saber with a removeable blade that I shortened to fit cross corner in the case..

So...I will have the case and a smaller regular suitcase for 3 costumes...
it's the Hoth hardpack and 3 pairs of boots that really eat up luggage space...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: