About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aea3d72e0a17f6f52d021f285db24cf9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RL Application process questions....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheeser359 (Rob Peters)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: RL Application process questions.... Reply with quote

OK, I was going to send a private message, but then thought maybe other people would want to know the answers too.
So, if I may ask, how does the approval process work?
Once someone submits their application, are they 'assigned' to the judges?
Or is it geographical?
And I assume that pilot applications are judged by pilots, not just any RL judge….
I'm just curious how the process works
I know, or at least I think I do, that the judges are volunteers with real lives that sometimes take priority over Star Wars….
How many LCJs are there for Rebel pilots?

Also, when I go to the RL "Join" page, at the bottom there is a "Rebel Legion Membership Application" link.
This seems to only go to the RL Forum registration.
Where does one find the "application" to submit with the photos?
Or do you just have to be a registered RL Forum user to submit?

If this is not appropriate for the Forum, please feel free to remove it...
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, these are great questions. Hopefully I can give you the answers you need:

Q: Are you 'assigned' to a judge?
A: No, not exactly. Once your costume submission is in the queue, it's visible to all the Legion's Costume Judges. The judges have an area where they can discuss your submission and make comments. At some point one judge will take lead on your submission. Usually it's the first judge to comment.

Q: Is judge assignment geographical?
A: No. the LCJ looking at your costume could be around the corner from you, or around the world.

Q: Which LCJ will judge pilot costumes?
A: Pilot costumes are judged soley by the Legion's Pilot Judges. People who know the costume and standards VERY well. We currently have five (5) Pilot LCJs, and their names and contact info can be found here: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38467.

Q: Are the LCJs volunteers with 'real' lives?
A: LOL, yes. We're all volunteers with real lives that sometimes take priority over Star Wars (gasp!). Laughing The LCJs try very hard to be efficient and responsive with all submissions, but sometimes the ball gets dropped. We're human, not droids ... it happens, but we try to keep it to a minimum. Large-scale events like SDCC, Celebrations, Dragon*Con, etc., may also cause delays in responses.

Q: How does the submission process work?
A: It's actually very easy - and very hard - at the same time. Once you submit your costume, it goes through the process listed in the first Q&A above. From there one of two things happen. Either your submission passes, or the judges will contact you with items that may need correction (wrong item, missing item, etc.) If you pass, your submission will be photoshopped into a new profile pic. Once that's done, the LCJ in charge of your submission will approve it, you'll get an email, and then your costume will be officially part of the Rebel Legion. If corrections are required, you'll be given a deadline for new photos to be sent in showing the fix. Then, once the LCJs are satisfied, you'll be approved as I mentioned above. If your costume requires EXTENSIVE changes that may take a long bit of time to handle, then your LCJ may suggest that he deny your submission, so you can re-submit once the changes are done. That keeps the submission from hanging out in the queue forever.

Q: If the LCJ requests changes, does that mean they hate me and think my costume sucks?
A: No, that's not the case at all. The LCJs are charged with upholding the RL Costume Standards as well as providing information so that you can have the most accurate costume possible. Sometimes the changes requested are little tweaks that will make your costume fit or look better. Sometimes the changes are bigger due to misinformation floating out there in the web. The Standards change over time, so what might have been accepted in the past, might not be accepted now. To insure the best reception for your submission, ALWAYS REFER TO THE STANDARDS ... NOT ANOTHER APPROVED COSTUME!

Q: How do I join exactly? On the "Join the Rebel Legion" page of the website, at the bottom there is a "Rebel Legion Membership Application" link. This seems to only go to the RL Forum registration. Where does one find the "application" to submit with the photos? Or do you just have to be a registered RL Forum user to submit??
A: Well, you're halfway there. That is the link you need to use, and yes, you need to be a registered RL forum user to submit. Once you're logged on the forums, you should see a "My Costumes" link at the top under "Forum and Costume" controls. Click that and then on the next page, click the "Add Costume" link. If it's you're first costume, then the verbiage might be a little different, but not much.

Q: What kind of photos should I sent?
A: The more the better. Nice, clear and large, against a plain background are best. Ideally the LCJs prefer the following: front, back, right side, left side, and at least one with the helmet off. Detail photos showing item details like pockets, collar mods, etc. are always good too.

Q: How do I join the RLSC (Rebel Legion Starfighter Command - Pilot Detachment) and a Squadron once I'm approved? And how do I know what Squadron to join?
A: Once approved, all you need to do is request to join the RLSC in this thread: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10384 . Then, you contact the Squadron attached to your Base via their forums and request to join. That's all it takes.

So there you go, hope all this helped make things clearer for you!

Last edited by HazardThree (Jon Paulson) on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: