About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fd17dfcf7414467692846d7e8e5a68ddMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookie Costume Cost???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fordcobraman ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Wookie Costume Cost??? Reply with quote

I have always wanted to make Chewbacca and after reading a bunch of posts...I see alot of people talking about what they used to make it but not so much of a overall cost/time frame to complete it.

I'm curious if anyone can let me know of a rough estimate for the cost as well as a realistic time frame to build one.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wookie Costume Cost??? Reply with quote

fordcobraman wrote:
I have always wanted to make Chewbacca and after reading a bunch of posts...I see alot of people talking about what they used to make it but not so much of a overall cost/time frame to complete it.

I'm curious if anyone can let me know of a rough estimate for the cost as well as a realistic time frame to build one.

Depends...

How much you want to spend... how much skill you have. If you have the skill and can make it yourself.. you will save money. If you do not have the skills, you will need to practice, or pay someone to do it for you. The one thing you have going for you is we (this forum) have done a ton of the leg work for you as far as information goes.

3 things in costuming to remember:
You can make a costume on the cheap
You can make a costume accurate
You can make a costume fast

However you cannot do all three!
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If going the latch hook route, the body suit is the cheapest and easiest part. The feet, hands, and bandolier are not very difficult or expensive either. The real challenge and money is the mask.

I have maybe $200 in materials in my body suit. Maybe less.
Less than $30 for my gloves.
About $150 in my feet/shoes.
Maybe $200 in my bandolier.

My mask, probably as much as the rest of it. But I was doing a lot of things for the first time here. I didn't know how much fiberglass gelcoat I needed for my mold so I bought way too much. Same with the mask silicone. I bought a gallon when a pint would have sufficed. I also needed to redo my core mold. Just the this weekend I needed to start over and redo a silicone mold for my skull.

At some point I will add it all up, for questions like this.

Someone with experience will waste fewer materials, buy and use just what they need and not too much, and have all of the necessary tools.

If you are less experienced you will need to pick-up a lot of tools and supplies, and you will go through more material figuring things out.

Realistically $500 - $1000 is reasonable for a latch-hook Wookiee. For a national fiber Wookiee, $3000 and up.

If you are the sort of person who enjoys building things, learning new skills, and is willing to get their hands dirty; than this the costume for you.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that you are going to Celebration. Be sure to meet up us and we'll talk things over with you.

We're having a panel (time and place to be determined) and there is the group photo on Friday.
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mine (latch hook style) I'm about right in line with Matt.....

Hair - $200
Mesh for undersuit - $30
Latex toes - $100 (I've had 2 sets made for me by others)
Bandolier - $130 (made for me)
Stilts - $85
Mask underskull and latex face - $300 (made for me but unfortunately, my source is no longer available)

I can't count hours, but I put mine all together in 6 months (and that was considered pretty fast from what I was told).

Last edited by Lumpy (Chris Blackstock) on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, for mine so far.
$240 for hair.
$40 for mesh
$250 stilts
$100 for toes
$200 for bandolier
$300 for mask
$40 for gloves
and so far 500 hrs of labor. Yes, that is correct.
Thats just putting on hair!
I dont know how you guys did it so fast.
Well, I do know, that being so particular has slowed me down. Putting hair, every other hole.
I am only up to my waist!!! I have for the past 6 months taken a break, but will continue someday.
Jedineeson ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 for hair
30 for mesh
0 for lifts
5 toes
100 for Bandolier
50 for mask
0 for gloves
500+ hours of work pants done shirt half way.It makes alot of sense to join discount status of a store like tandy leather,the wig store,joanne fabrics.It pays to know people as well.My husbands is 6'6 so I only needed 8 inch lifts.
My father-in -law helped me there.Alot I've learned on my own lots,lots of research.It's taking me about 2 yrs to do this.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends on which country you live in. My Chewie ran just under $2000 because Australia is stupidly expensive . Building the exact same thing in the USA would have cost me half that. Paying $50 postage on a $50 item is the norm here
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I spent $1200 on my first suit, and it took me 4 months (465 hours). I made everyone 100% myself.
However, with practice I have improved and I can do one in less than half the time now.
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firebird wrote:
It also depends on which country you live in. My Chewie ran just under $2000 because Australia is stupidly expensive . Building the exact same thing in the USA would have cost me half that. Paying $50 postage on a $50 item is the norm here

Try living in Ireland, I had to ship in every single piece of material needed.......and yes, stupidly expensive shipping costs and taxes too.
firebird ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougie Fett wrote:

Try living in Ireland, I had to ship in every single piece of material needed.......and yes, stupidly expensive shipping costs and taxes too.

I understand your pain , or at least pretty close to it. Mind you even at those prices a Wookiee is still great value compared to some other suits out there. (It can't be too bad, we keep doing it) and yes I'm about to do it again Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: