About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f8727357e9b40a61dd32a8067c22f6d0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EB,PA:Tamiment-Toys for Tots Family Fun Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Events -> Mission Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaren Valnor (Ryan Miorelli)
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: EB,PA:Tamiment-Toys for Tots Family Fun Day Reply with quote

EVENT:
1st Annual Toys for Tots Christmas in July Family Fun Day
Saturday, July 21, 2012
Troop from 2PM-5PM

TROOPERS:
1. Ryan Miorelli- RotJ Luke
2. Ryan Chesakis [Echo recruit]- Endor trooper
[something of a Ryans-only fest Rolling Eyes ... unfortunately Tim Levan had something come up suddenly and was unable to make it]

OUR MISSION:
Event contact Patience Tew (who was excellent) tells me she had asked someone about having seen Star Wars characters at another event, and ended up with Tim's contact info. She had been corresponding with him and managed to elicit a small but committed few Rebels to come out and promote this worthy cause.

On the way there, my GPS decided to take us to ANOTHER resort called the Glen. That conversation with security was interesting. "Sorry, you're with a...Legion? Can you repeat that? What?" But they were helpful, told us where we needed to go [which was only a couple miles away], and we were shown to an exercise room with more than enough space so we could be suited up and trooping by 2 PM as promised.

The crowd wasn't exactly huge, but there were a group of kids who were Star Wars fans and very much enjoyed our presence, plus a few younger girls who didn't understand what was going on, and one boy who had seen part of RotS a while ago but was enthralled by our presence. He was asking a dozen questions a minute Laughing A personal favorite moment was walking up behind a kid who had a very intricate Darth Maul pattern painted on his face...his expression when he turned around was priceless!

Toys for Tots got a good amount of toys donated...everything from dolls to a bicycle. Several local small businesses were invited to sell their wares, and a local firehouse made excellent profits selling food and drinks; nearly everything was gone at the end of the event.

Now a bit about Patience, our contact...when we got there, she was very accommodating and welcoming...everything a good host is...but we didn't realize how big of a Star Wars fan she was until she brought up IG-88 and Cad Bane as her favorite bounty hunters Surprised She and her sons were VERY glad we showed up, as they'd encountered the 501st at an Autism Speaks event a few years ago. She wasn't sure how to officially contact the 501st or the Mercs, but she's active in Toys for Tots fundraising in the region and promised to keep us busy with more events! She may be registering on these forums, as she tells me costuming isn't really her thing, but she wants to help us out as a squire whenever we need it. She asked if Echo has any kind of public event calendar of our appearances...does such a thing exist/can it be done?

All in all, this troop was very fun, and a great learning experience for Recruit Chesakis on everything from how to hold a blaster when you pose to how to handle a kid who's a bit too grabby at your blaster Rolling Eyes and our presence was greatly enjoyed! They're already talking about next year, and I encourage any trooper who can to attend one of these events!

Some of the youngest volunteers meet their Star Wars heroes

Chase down biker scouts while burning calories!

More pictures may be sent to me by the Toys for Tots photographers.
Orion Knight-Star (Alex McKeel)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work my friend. I have not heard from you in a while I hope you are doing well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Events -> Mission Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: