About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bcb80a44cca67bfa715cf8cd133f7066Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Chewbacca teeth:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Chewbacca teeth: Reply with quote

For a while now, I've been trying to replicate the original teeth Stuart used in Chewie's mask. I tried to find out what animals teeth were used after studying the incisors and back teeth as well as the canines. I've been in contact with a taxidermist who sells a lot of teeth and jaw bones from rare species of animals. He is convinced after I showed him some photos of a set that was recently sold at a London auction for $2,000 that he could replicate a set of teeth like Chewbacca's. I'll post more later on his progress and an interest list for those who would like to purchase a set. They would come fully painted when purchased which is a bonus too!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely stuart simply sculpted the teeth and gums himself. This is how dental appliances/fake teeth are made, and its a relatively common skill in the effects industry. There is actually a really awesome tutorial on the stan winston school about making teeth.

Still, looking forward to seeing the results from the taxidermist.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dental acrylic is what is used. The teeth and pink gums were hand scuptured.
This stuff is the same as dentist use to make crowns and false teeth. Its really cool and easy to work with.

Chewy Layers snow to print
TheWook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the taxidermist offer an opinion on which kind of animal the Chewie teeth most closely resembled?

The Wook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: