About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d562419f74a10d1d19999726aa8f98d9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

PA, State College: Spikes Star Wars Night Sat, 7/14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Events -> Mission Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mahim ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: PA, State College: Spikes Star Wars Night Sat, 7/14 Reply with quote

THE EVENT:

Second Annual Star Wars Night for the State College Spikes (Short Season-A Affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates)

PERSONNEL:
1. Josh Murphy - Jedi
2. Nick DeMarco - Squire
3. Cathy Miorelli - Squire
4. Scott Hartsock - Jedi
5. Jarred Daski - Jedi
6. Ryan Miorelli - RotJ Luke Skywalker
7. Ryan Chesakis - Endor Trooper
8. Tharren Thompson - 501st Clonetrooper & Tusken Raider
9. Garrett Roen (Carida) - Royal Guard
10. Dan Beltz (Carida) - Tie Pilot
11. Dave Johnson (Carida) - Biker Scout
12. Wally Peters (Carida) - ROTS Darth Vader
13. Willy Leitner (Carida) - Stormtrooper
14. Andrew Marzka (Carida) - Shadow Guard
15. Kyle McHenry (Carida) - Stormtrooper
16. David Jones (Carida) - Stormtrooper
17. Dustin Cohenour (Carida) - Stormtrooper
18. Tod Allen Smith & family @ TABLE
19. Jess-Garrison Carida Squire

THE DEPLOYMENT:
At about 4:30pm, troopers began disembarking from their shuttlecraft and arriving at Medlar Field. The Spikes reserved a large conference room for our secure changing area, which allowed us to get our gear organized and ready to go. By 6:00pm we were suited up and hit the main concourse for meet-and-greet, photos and autographs. Wally (Vader) and Ryan (RotJ Luke) had a quick meeting with the Spikes' media team about a two-part dueling sketch (which was about fifteen flavors of awesome--check the links at the end of the report!), and around 6:45pm or so we all reported to the field for the ceremonial first pitches from the Jedi and Vader (who lined one in right over the plate--nicely done, Wally!)

Aside from a couple of brief on-field appearances between innings, we were free to troop the concourse, stands, luxury boxes, etc. (There's nothing like stepping out of your luxury box and unexpectedly coming face-to-face with a clonetrooper and Royal Guard!) Vader and Son went to Suite 501 to meet-and-greet (who else??) Star Wars fans who had reserved the space just for the game! Lots of pictures and autographs all round...

We were also fortunate to have LFL freelance artist Tod Allen Smith join us for the evening. He and his family set up a table on the concourse for the night to display his artwork, painted helmets, cards, etc. -- adding a nice value-added touch for all the SW fans that came to the game!

The Spikes (as always), showed us fantastic hospitality--flat after flat of ice-cold bottled water, trays heaping with hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, pizza--it almost (but not quite) put our post-troop excursion to Applebee's in jeopardy! With refreshments always at hand, we kept up a constant presence for the fans through the whole game (though the Force was not with the Spikes as, despite an impressive three-run bottom-of-the-ninth rally, they dropped the game to Brooklyn 6-3).

Around 9:00 or 9:30, we began suiting down and packing up, and several of us made the aforementioned trip to Applebee's for post-troop debriefing and (more) refreshments... (Gotta have a post-troop meal--these things are very important!)

Special recognition to a couple of Echo members who made their first troop Saturday--Jarred Daski (Jedi) and Ryan Chesakis (Endor Trooper), and (as always) a BIG "Thank You" to our squires, Nick and Cathy. (This was the shakedown troop for my clone, and I would not have been able to get as far as I did without Nick stepping in to help troubleshoot!)

Thanks also to our brethren at the 501st Garrison Carida for the gracious invite and their continued commitment to working together with Echo to provide an unparalleled SW experience for the fans. Thanks to the Spikes for making us part of their night--plans are already underway for the 2013 event, so keep an eye out for updates!

Here is a link to pics for the night--thanks to our Carida squire Jess for the great coverage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djbeltz/sets/72157630581206204/

"It is the happy man who does the useless things; the sick man is not strong enough to be idle." - G. K. Chesterton, "Orthodoxy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a blast!!!

18 " aggressive negotiations "
Jaren Valnor (Ryan Miorelli)
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the most fun I've ever had trooping. Excellent to finally put faces to names on this board [Josh, Scott, Tharren] as well as see some familiar ones [Jarred, Wally, Ryan C] not to mention making a whole bunch of new friends from Carida and meeting my Carida Academy advisor, Willy Leitner. A few of the night's highlights...

Wally Peters and Andrew Marzka of Carida won this family 4 tickets via radio promotion...as you can see, they were thrilled! Future Legion members, I think Smile

Echo Base's crowd (minus Tharren)

Nookie Monster: Mascot and Rebel spy

Further mascot abuse!

Rebels rule! Awing

Thanks to everyone for an awesome night! They were already asking when we'd be back!
Master Is-Ma (Ismael)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work everyone! Smile

MTFBWY.
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures. Love the one with the kids all dressed up in the seats.

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, guys!!!
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, great pics!
Very well done! pompom
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work everyone! Thumbs up

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sgt carida (Wally Peters)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my mission report from over at Carida:

Quote:
Willy and I got there at 4pm, went in, dropped our gear and then went back to the parking lot and the night was on! Troopers were landing left and right and we shuttled everyone into the stadium to get ready. Tod and family got there and we immediately got the table going.....add one table and a MASSIVE amout of Imperial gear, cards, flyers, etc. Big thank you to Tod and his family for manning that table the entire game and Evil Dave for bringing his Carida Banners.

I grabbed one of the Jedi to test out the first pitch which didn't work out. I got the water and food squared away to the point we had left over food in the conferance room at the end of the night. This year the Spikes took the food vouchers and just brought us back food and a MASSIVE amount of it. I'm pretty sure we went through 4 cases of water and it was COLD water too.

Luke and I had to go to the press box to work out the skit they wanted us to do in the 2nd and 4th inning (which the Spikes messed up and we STILL made it amazing) and when we were done there we came back down, got our sabers and did some dueling on the concourse. The best part was we spared for a few minutes then just sat down in these oversized leather couches right behind the Spikes dugout and just talked about how amazing it was that we were just left to roam and have a good time.

From there I went in and got suited up and we went out for 6pm meet and greet. It was as massive with the people as last year. Rob no crazy teenagers to scare this year though. We did have a "man down" right away but Skippy got some bacta and was right back out. My vote for Trooper of the night. We just made it down for the 1st pitch about 650pm. Same as last year and I have to say my pitch this year was a fastball right down the middle of the plate. Yes I was on the rubber when I threw and no lollipop this year.

After that the only skits they had were the lightsaber duel in the 2nd and 4th, t-shirt toss in the 3rd (cannon was broken Tom. Shout out to Evil Dave and Ryan C. for manning the shirts) and we did the 7th inning stretch from the left field picnic pavilion. Let me tell you dueling in Darth Vader is as awesome and challenging as you can imagine. So much fun but I'm pretty sore in the legs today.

Most of the night we were roaming free all over the ballpark and hanging with the crowd taking pics. Last year they used us every inning and this year only a handful of times BUT it was about as perfect a mix as it could have been. Luke and I even went into suite 501 and took pics! I was able to wear Vader the entire night because the weather was so much nicer this year and I had several breaks since we didn't do as many on the field skits. The only problem I had, besides the sweat, was my batteries died in the lightsaber much too early.

A big thank you to all those troopers, Carida and Echo, that made the drive to Happy Valley. Without your support the troop would not have been as great as it was. Thank you to Evil Dave for bringing the banners and Tod and family for manning the table. Also a shout out to the State College Spikes and especially David Wells for having us and treating us like no one else. Next up shout outs and thank you to those Echo Squires that took pics and especially Carida Squire Jess for stepping up and taking some amazing photos and video. Dan I'll let you link those in your report. Tell her Lord Vader is very pleased with her efforts and will inform the Emperor of her fine work lastnight We also had Cadet Dustin troop his very first event. The armor looked pretty good minus some fit issues. He did a great job.

We topped the evening off with dinner and GREAT times at Applebee's. Jedi and Imperials mixing?!?! 100% and it was one of the best after trooper dinners I have ever went to in my 5 years in the Legion. Willy and I got back to my place about 1am so you know it was a late night in State College.

I'm very proud of my brothers and sisters in Carida and Echo Base for their efforts lastnight.

Here is the radio spot we did:

They had us talk about Garrison Carida THEN sprung the 10 question quiz on us. We had to get 9 out of 10 to win the tickets for the lady and we did. She was very thankful to us and came up to me at least twice saying so.

It was really cool hanging out with so many RL memebers for once. Even though I stayed in DV all evening I got to hang out with Ryan for a good portion of it. Great to have Luke there and the crowd really enjoyed it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Events -> Mission Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: