About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=458775ccfc53bb6f18951ea3fc56066fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han in Carbonite coffee table - custom commission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Set Piece and Large Prop Reproduction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Han in Carbonite coffee table - custom commission Reply with quote

Our very own prop electronics expert, Hyperdyne (Jim Shima) asked me if I could create a Han in Carbonite coffee table for him so we put our heads together on a design and this is what I ended up with:

No, that is not my living room. A good friend has a really nice home and let me invade his space for an evening. Can you find the Star Wars books in the living room?

We decided to make the table a realistic sized coffee table, so that meant I had to cut his legs off Wink A full sized piece "might" look good while including his feet but it would be too long for most living rooms and couch arrangements.

I wanted the table legs to be as simple and hidden as possible, while still being strong. My vision was to create it so that it almost looks like it is floating if you are looking at it from the right angle and also I didn't want the table legs to pull a person's eye away from the table. I had a similar thought about the standoffs (glass supports). I originally didn't want the bright posts to pull your eye away but I decided to go with the bright finish on those.

A person could still add a small shelf underneath for magazines, remote controls, or of course your favorite Star Wars coffee table books Wink If for some reason this design seems too tall for a person's personal liking, it would be easy to unbolt the legs and cut a few inches off of the lower part of the legs.

Since I had never built anything quite like this I took my time and I did a lot of research and experimenting because I wanted it to come out perfect and hopefully not have any unforeseen issues down the road such as de-lamination, separation, warping, etc. I also wanted to figure out the best type of finish to put on it since we used a few different types of materials for the paint and the weathering / patina process. I wanted to be sure a heavy, shiny finish would adhere to the various types of materials and leave a nice "wet" look, to match the original prop in the film.

This will probably be a one of a kind as I really don't know if I want to build another one Smile

Thanks for looking. I hope it is good "eye candy"
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG ..... that is incredible.... great work I love it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeremy! It was a fun project. It's nice to get to do something "new" once in a while Wink

I am sure Jim will be very pleased with it. I don't think he will ever have a need for a conversation starter in his man cave Wink I'm surprised he didn't pop in out of thin air to pick it up the second I posted the pics on the net Very Happy
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one sweet coffee table it totally awesome Very Happy

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...want.

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
The Sugar Jedi formerly known as The Grey Elf
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bouri-Plwel ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice piece...That looks fantastick!!!!

"It was an honor just to be nominated!"
"Remember - You are UNIQUE....Just like everyone else!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RavenApprentice (Angel Martinez)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! this is so awesome! Ben

Former Puerto Rico BCO | KJO XO | Wretched Hive XO | Legion Costume Judge | Legion Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

I should probably make one of these for myself Wink
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that would be a good idea Wink

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Set Piece and Large Prop Reproduction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: