Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fb8b4854ae5340a871a5f9ad12e71f1bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Museum Replicas' "Design Your Own Jedi"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Museum Replicas' "Design Your Own Jedi" Reply with quote

*gulp*

Let the endless discussion begin! Laughing

http://www.museumreplicas.com/g-38-become-your-own-jedi.aspx

Hopefully, we can see samples in person at Celebration. I wonder if this was the "big announcement" they had for 2012.

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo

Last edited by JedHead (Matt Tolosa) on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FallenJedi ()
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm..... raise eyebrows
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be 646 before shipping...hmmmm.....Im still in my first year but depending how much trooping I do may get this and good boots.

18 " aggressive negotiations "
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$646 seems awfully steep for that ensemble. Museum Replicas isn't known for being a bastion of high quality materials; for that price I'd be expecting top notch materials and construction. I'll have to reserve judgement for when we actually see what they're like.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There cheep compaird to there Obi/ Anakin they are about 1000

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, see, I wouldn't pay that, either. Razz

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, brother. Let the flame wars begin.

On a personal level, I dislike excessive commercialization. I don't care for Wal-Mart, Apple Bees, or shopping malls largely because it destroys the unique flavor of a local culture and makes every place exactly the same; boring.
Similarly, I think the increasing commercialization of our hobby (from both licensed and unlicensed products) ultimately waters things down and takes away a lot of the uniqueness of what we do. When everyone can do it just by spending some money it ceases to be special in my view.
It's one of reasons I love the Wookiee costuming community so much; it's a builders group. There is very little talk of where to buy kits, who do I pay to make my suit, etc.

It might be time for the Jedi detachment and LCJ's (and any other relevant detachments) to sit down and make some kind of official decision regarding the various Museum Replicas products (if that hasn't happened already). I've heard mixed feelings from most members; some stuff is good, some not so good, a lot of stuff is not very durable and will last no more than 2 or 3 troops.

Of course, official studio photos from the manufacturer are totally worthless for judging the final product and often look nothing like the production piece you actually buy (Rubies is infamous for this, not sure about MR's rep).

If these costumes are up to Legion standards than it will mean more good costumes, at least in the short term.

My concern is what happens when these types of members who merely purchased a costume on-line want to do something else. To someone who has never built anything in their lives, the costume requirements for any of our intermediate or advanced costumes will seem totally unreasonable.
If they outnumber us, they will ultimately turn this club into what they think it should be.

I also think it could lead to more egos and drama. One of the advantages to having some barriers to entry in this club is that the hard work required to build one's costume builds character, teaches one patience and respect, and gives you a little common sense.
It is my experience that most people with attitude problems, sensitive egos, or a desire to create drama tend to have nothing to show for it. I find this to be true in both costuming and "real life."

Last edited by GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten) on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I hope somebody gets one of these as soon as possible, and then posts a ton of pictures and a good review of what they receive. Some items, like the boot toppers, could be lifesavers to those who just can't find good boots. Others, like the tunics, may just be typical costumebase-level outfits barely worth the money spent. But it is a good idea, and I am very anxious to see in-hand pictures from somebody soon. Frankly, I am interested in the outer cloak and the boot toppers - and I already have a great cloak and boots. For sure, I will get an inner tunic. Very interesting.

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the heads up. I am one of toughs that have no skill. Although once I troop more I deff. want to upgrade my costume(right now its all cotton blend). If any one makes stuff and is looking for a job or has good recommendations feel free to PM.

Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also interesting are

1. The colors. Some are labeled as blue, gray, or green, but on my screen most just appear tan or taupe.

2. The cerean outer cloak is also very interesting. I do like it, but I wonder what made them think to include it. You think they may have been watching these forums for ideas? We only just recently discussed that style here...

forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prob. to do the popularity of the old republic game.

SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...not that I'm making an official statement, but...here's the opinion of a Legion "Jedi" Costuming Judge and the XO of the KJO...

I'll have to do some more studying but...I did look at the site, briefly and...

I have two concerns:

(1) Our applicants must adhere to the Costume Standards for the Jedi costumes. As long as their costume meets the requirements, even these costumes could be okay (I didn't say "should", I said "could")

and

(2) There could be a "quality of construction" issue that falls into two categories (as I see it):

a. It's got to fit! One of the biggest complaints we judges have are when costumes simply do not fit the costumer. If they're baggy, they need to be tailored to fit. Otherwise, they look sloppy. No Jedi in the movies ever looked sloppy...and, in my humble opinion, we approve far too many costumes that are just plain sloppy. Then...if they're too tight...well, there's not much that can be done about that.

b. These costumes are cheaply made and often use thin materials. I've seen museumreplicas Jedi costumes up close and personal (both the OWK and the Anakin)...and was NOT impressed. Using a thin material makes for a cheap looking costume. Thin fabrics can be made to look awesome if liners are placed. I doubt that the majority of our costumers have the knowledge/talent to add liners to these costumes to make them look professionally made (...and no, just because these costumes come from museumreplicans, I do NOT consider them "professionally" made).

And..I'm not saying that one of these costumes would not be approved by our Jedi judges, but...our more seasoned judges would definitely be skeptical.

AND....not to say that I'm going to start taking commissions for Jedi costumes, but I can make a WHOLE Jedi costume, minus the boots and light saber for FAR less than what these are being sold for.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from researching and even buying a costume from these guys, but...

...our padawans need to be mindful of what they're buying and to beware of sites that claim to make complete ensembles.

/bow

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
ionicdesign (Michael)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Roger said, if getting one of these be aware that it may need to be tailored to fit you and your assemblage of pieces and colours needs to fit the Jedi standards if you want to be approved.

As with any purchase of this amount be sure and do your research so you are not disappointed with the result.

Thanks Matt for bringing this to my attention earlier.
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Roger and I KNOW there are people out there that you can pay to make your costume and it will be of GREAT quality for the same price, if not less than Museum Replicas is asking.

My Jedi costumes are not the greatest, but they are a work in progress. Each one became more movie like and I am working on making it more professional. I made my own costumes and it is really not THAT difficult. Not to mention it is really a lot of fun and makes you feel better when someone says "nice Jedi" and you know that you made it yourself obi 2
Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I worry most about, which echos what others have said, is the choice of fabric they employ. The popular trend is to use thin, gauze-like fabrics because that is what Obi-Wan and Anakin use (and few others, I might add). But without thick lining, rolled hems, and other key techniques, they just end up looking fragile and cheap, even when near-identical fabrics are used. Gauze should only be used by the pros, people! When my Dad made my ensemble, I chose a rich, thick corduroy so that my costume would have a good drape and a depth which thin materials simply cannot replicate. I worry that these sets might suffer from flimsy, and thus cheap-looking, fabrics.

I am SO grateful to have been raised by a real, professional tailor (all Dad made me pay for was the fabric!). I can't imagine what it would have cost to have a costume like mine made, but it would certainly have been worth the price. The feeling of wearing robes and tunics made to your exact fit and build is inimitable; no store-bought purchase can match it. These costumes may be a great start, but hopefully they will be stepping stones, not the end of the line.

EDIT: So, I just asked Dad what he would charge for a similar ensemble, and it was barely more than half what these people are charging - and mind you, he is a professional at the peak of his skills. This is for a movie-accurate, custom-fitted soft goods set. So yeah, this is kind of a rip-off. Go to a tailor people, and get better stuff at a better cost.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: