About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=69ab4f31b960ea205a28944a7ce9603fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sydney Saber Arena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Tython Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auron Salis (Levi)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcfalath wrote:
Which one, the facebook group Ultrasabers: Lies and Deceit, or www.thecustomsabershop.com?

As many should know, MR and Hasbro sabers are in no way meant for anything but display, however they can be easily converted with the right equipment (most of which are on thecustomsabershop).

The best customs, minus making your own, are from people such as Orbital Machining, Gemini Concepts, LDM Custom Sabers, Vaders Vault and a hell of a lot of other builders out there that i cant list off hand. The workmanship in these are amazing, and far more superior than anything from Ultra..

I understand money is an issue for most when buying a saber, and ultras are cheaper than most, however it is far better to save a little for a good product like at a reputable store, than a cheap one like from the back of a van in a carpark.

All my ultras are fine. Duel with them quiet a bit. The only problems ive ever had were with their old PVC sabers.

You get what you pay for. *shrug*

I really dont want to pay the price all the other places you just listed too, seems way overpriced.
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auron Salis wrote:
Alcfalath wrote:
I understand money is an issue for most when buying a saber, and ultras are cheaper than most, however it is far better to save a little for a good product like at a reputable store, than a cheap one like from the back of a van in a carpark.

All my ultras are fine. Duel with them quiet a bit. The only problems ive ever had were with their old PVC sabers.

You get what you pay for. *shrug*

I really dont want to pay the price all the other places you just listed too, seems way overpriced.

By "Ultrasabers standard" Swiv was referring to the tough heavy grade polycarbonate blades available from them, or an equivalent from another manufacturer.

In the last few months we have ordered and received without problem a dozen Ultra Sabers, and they have all stood up well to duelling. Having a good solid aluminium duelling Saber available for $70 is a very big deal for a startup duelling club that needs new members to be able to fight with minimal investment.

I am aware that politics affect the Saber making world, just as much as it affects any area, and there is a quality consideration, such as when buying cheap Chinese made stuff compared to reputable Australian made gear. But, if you can't afford to pay triple the cost for something that does the same job, then you use what you can get. As Levi said, you get what you pay for. Some of our members expressed interest in making sabers, and others like some of the other sites, that is their choice, if they can afford to do so.

Tython Base Facebook Page
Alcfalath (Matthew Wilson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can deal with supporting the company morally and ethically, and dont have issues with inferior made chinese made sabers that would be your choices.

However i did suggest that saving up for your own very custom saber, with a warrantee on workmanship, or for the same price as buying an ultra you can have the satisfaction of making your own. Plus, if you make it and something goes wrong, you can easily fix it knowing exactly how it went together..

Plus, there is something inherently jedi like in building your own lightsaber Very Happy

State Representative/Regional Commander - Rebel Legion - Tatooine Base
Temple Master - KJO Temple of the Twin Suns

Trooper BH/SL-6618 - 501st Terror Australis Garrison - Desert Scorpion Squad
Mortogg (Wade Gadsby)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with building your own saber, Is something I will undertake as it will involve a lot of tribal designs and construstion forming around a story for my character.

I also have heared some of the horror stories much the same as you hear in the armour side of things where I have been biten before and learned to read up on all builders backgrounds before I send a PM through.

As nice as it would be to just have a saber just given to you straight out of the box ready to go and hope it stand up to the test of time and guessing how to fix if somethign does go wrong. knowing you have a one of a kind saber that you put your own skills and heart into, not just something that was slambed together by someone else is just a little more rewarding I think. Just my 2 cents.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wade, dodgy people are everywhere in the hobby world, including armour vendors too... luckily the groups can weed them out and make people more aware before other people suffer a bad purchase. I myself have lost over $1200 to a dodgy recaster when i started my boba fett... know i know far better, and check my sources before any purchase..

Ultra, for a short time my years ago, was apparently a good business too... one day i hope to get some of the thousands spent on dodgy stuff/non delivery items back, though not just from ulra either..

but you are right... building your own saber is far better ;D

Hopfot (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some of the dodgy work from Ultra, both online and with my own 2 eyes, as my last saber has a flaw. But unfortunately they are currently the best available resource for bulk ordering sabers cheaply and rather quickly.

So until a more viable option is presented I will have to continue buying from them. I may however be looking to a local source known as AusSabers here in QLD for my spare blades. As I can simply order and pick them up from down on the Gold Coast.

On the matter of Custom Saber Shop, it's really only good for if you are building 1 or 2 sabers for yourself. Which eventually I will do, but not all of my comrades in Redback Land have the skill or time to do so. So for them I do bulk orders with Ultra and grab myself a saber in the process.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcfalath wrote:
Wade, dodgy people are everywhere in the hobby world, including armour vendors too... luckily the groups can weed them out and make people more aware before other people suffer a bad purchase. I myself have lost over $1200 to a dodgy recaster when i started my boba fett... know i know far better, and check my sources before any purchase..

Ultra, for a short time my years ago, was apparently a good business too... one day i hope to get some of the thousands spent on dodgy stuff/non delivery items back, though not just from ulra either..

but you are right... building your own saber is far better ;D

is it hard making your own saber? im too assume you need some soldering skills for the electronics??
Hopfot (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auron Salis wrote:

is it hard making your own saber? im too assume you need some soldering skills for the electronics??

Might do for the electrics.

Fortunately though for the rest, it generally comes pre-fabricated as a MHS (Modular Hilt System) in which all you do is attach all the pieces. However I'm not sure if you may require some drilling switch placement.
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever Ultra Sabers may have been in the past, I have found them to be a pretty slick product. I have found that a thick wrap of tape at the base sits the blade more securely in the socket. We have lost a couple of tips, and tend to glue them solidly and tape them as well. Last training, we cracked a couple of blades, which is the first time we have suffered any damage. I think that cutting the cracked blades shorter should be sufficient to repair them.

The Ultra Sabers have proven to be great cheap startup Sabers for us. I have been looking at customising some of our Ultras myself and will certainly look at building a custom Saber in the future. But for now, I love my Saber and the others we have in our group. I am sorry that Ultra have gained such a poor reputation for themselves, but I don't know of any other affordable and fast options.

Hopfot (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyr Mureys wrote:

Dark initiate V3LE.... I got 2 of them in red blade. But only because they stuffed up and sent me the wrong hilt, I asked for the initiate V3LE (not the dark) Razz
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill try gather my resource together to find you guys a step by step DIY that is easy to follow and produces great results for relatively cheap Smile

Hopfot (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcfalath wrote:
Ill try gather my resource together to find you guys a step by step DIY that is easy to follow and produces great results for relatively cheap Smile

Is there a solution for me just being plain too lazy to do things myself? Razz
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopfot wrote:
Alcfalath wrote:

Thank you Alcfalath. I look forward to it. I've had a couple of my members asking about making their own already.

Hoppy... You know that elbow grease is often the only solution. That or throwing money at it. The problem is... Money is earned by more elbow grease. It's a vicious cycle! Wink

Hopfot (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyr Mureys wrote:
Hopfot wrote:
Alcfalath wrote:

Thank you Alcfalath. I look forward to it. I've had a couple of my members asking about making their own already.

Hoppy... You know that elbow grease is often the only solution. That or throwing money at it. The problem is... Money is earned by more elbow grease. It's a vicious cycle! Wink

Don't forget the headlight fluid. Razz (Red vs Blue fans will get that)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i dont really feel like going thru and searching for this so sorry if i repeat something already written lol. Umm im curious to find out how your Ultra's were in regards to their wiring?? Because i got one around the same time i saw the order you lot put in and i recieved mine and it needs a complete rewiring... :\

Do Or Do Not... There Is No Try
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Tython Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: