About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0da2191a10a8379d3d147e7088f09006Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Picnic Dress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obiwan84 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Padme Picnic Dress Reply with quote

Has anyone had a Padme picnic dress approved? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have the costume made but wanted to get some opinions! Not sure if it would be approved!

I had the corset embroidered as similar as possible! The cape fabric is from a curtain panel. The fabric for the dress itself is not the same as done in the film. I was unable to find the little four petal sequins and did not have time to get the actual embroidery done on the dress.

Here are the photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/100610557@N02/
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the requirements for this gown as written in the standards:

1. Off-the-shoulder, floor-length, full chemise (or off-the-shoulder full shirt and full gathered skirt) with wide full sleeves gathered to a narrow binding below the wrists in a golden yellow semi-sheer silk or silk-like matte chiffon or georgette, decorated with a pattern of twisting vines, small flowers and tiny cream iridescent 4-petaled sequins. The lower sleeve sections are wrapped in delicate silk or silk-like ribbons pale yellow, pale pink, rose pink and pale green. The skirt should have some fullness (a two-layer chiffon or georgette petticoat in light pink and pale yellow is suggested to achieve this).
2. Corset or boned bodice in a golden yellow silk or silk-like crinkled taffeta or similar fabric type with a contoured top and bottom hem. The center and side fronts are decorated in a petal design of variegated yellow to burnished gold, narrow stems and leaves of variegated spring green to medium green and thin gold swirling lines dotted with small pink/magenta roses. The design may be embroidered or finely painted. The corset also has narrow shoulder straps of golden yellow fabric dotted with small pink/magenta roses and green and gold leaves. The corset should have structure and not be limp.
3. Large, triangular capelette or shawl of a fine golden yellow netting decorated with thin, swirling vines and tiny leaves of gold and green with small pink/magenta roses, dotted with tiny cream iridescent 4-petaled sequins. The hem is scalloped and edged in variegated spring green to medium green satin stitch. The design may be finely painted but embroidery is highly recommended.
4. Small, narrow Art Deco-like burnished silver pin with an amethyst or magenta center stone that resembles a dragonfly as a closure to the cape.
5. White or ivory flats with a painted gold heel.
6. Forehead band of two ribbons with narrow satin cord edging in a golden green dotted with small pink/magenta roses with green and gold leaves.
7. Hair is gathered in to a small bun on either side of the head and encased in golden yellow crocheted hair nets or snoods. The rest of the hair is loosely curled and pulled into a loose ponytail tied with delicate silk or silk-like ribbons in pale yellow, pale pink, rose pink and pale green. Naturally occurring hair colors only; no bangs.

You may want to compare your own choice of materials and construction to what is listed in those standards.
While you did make a pretty and recognizable reproduction, much of it in terms of material and construction just doesn't work with the standards.

Two examples:
Your corset, while beautifully embroidered, does not seem to be constructed as a boned, firm corset but as a non-boned corsage - and not from crinkled taffeta either (is that panne velvet, maybe?).
Also, your shawl - which should really just be an almost half-circle triangular piece of fabric - seems to be constructed as a jacket with sleeves, which, well, makes it a jacket with sleeves, not a shawl ;-) The fabric is good, but the construction, in this case, is wrong (sorry to say this!)
I could point out more differences, but only if you would ask me to :-)
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a beautiful dress, but I doubt you would be able to get it approved. I made a similar dress (tried for the right fabrics and such), but I had color and cape issues so I didn't get approved.

There are places to get the right fabrics and Padawan's Guide has a TON of excellent advice and of course, the wonderful ladies on here are always ready to help Smile . You look like you are off to a good start, though Smile.

And may I say, your costume does look marvellous! Totally captures the look of the costume.

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Amidalas (dawn bright)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I love this gown. Got to pose with a Picnic Padme while @ D23!

There is some very distinct differences between your dress and Padmes. For example My first costume being approved was my Amidala. Ill tell you the best way to show the difference is side by side comps.

The best way to go about doing this(I had the best time doing this). Is to literally compare your gown to the original in photoshop. Like I did in my guide *pokes below*
I literally spent hours researching and referencing design, structure, color, tone and construction. I had never spent so much time on a dress! cant even IMAGINE going into a dress with that much color.
There are a couple Picnic gowns approved. You can find them on the member search =D

Heres one of my Side by side comps to show you what I mean

Heres some approved picnic gowns

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=3244
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=2962
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=2668
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=1544
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=154

Amidala Invasion Gown Guide: http://queenamidalasabe.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: