About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3c7fdb7dc45b3573bd45fe40204de8a5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Plo Koon (CW) style build thread - a Rubies Mod
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General_Koon (Rick Vargas)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Plo Koon (CW) style build thread - a Rubies Mod Reply with quote

This is one of the BEST tutorial-type threads or WIPs I've seen in modifying a Rubies mask, in this case, for General Plo Koon. It's so good, it's been moved to the Jedi Tutorial threads.

--SithariRog (aka Roger Allen), April 11, 2013

Greetings!

I decided to make me a General Plo Koon costume for my local Rebel Outpost (I'm 501st but the guys need members and I decided to lend them a hand in numbers by joining in since I REALLY like General Koon's clone wars outfit)

The things is this, I'm on a tight budget. This doesn't really mean that I can't spend money on it but I really need to keep this costume on the lowest possible budget.

The mask will be a Rubies deluxe that is now on it's way:

I'll make my own fiberglass Gauntlets. That's no problem.

The tabard, pants, gloves and boots will be made locally with a couple of craftsmen in their own fields. No problem there.

I was thinking on getting this belt as it looks to be well made and looks great:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150792871549?var=450073218655&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_4124wt_1141

BUT i need help with the Hands and the lightsaber.

I have no idea what to use for the hands. I know I can paint them in latex/acrylic paints and I can add the nails and the metal talons myself but what to use for the hands themselves that will be accepted in the RL is beyond me right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The lightsaber....

yeah.

that is the piece I'm worried the most. It seems that general Koon has used at least 3 types of hilts in his career and 3 types of blade color.

I REALLY like the yellow one but I need to know right off the bat if the yellow version is not accepted for General Koon in his clone wars armor.

IF it is accepted then I would really appreciate it if someone can tell me what's the hilt model I need to find for it and where can I find one with sound that will work.

My firt idea was to buy the force FX (new ones at walmart) darth maul saber and modify it (cutting it in half- moving the discs on the emitter to the middle cut and turning that as the emitter and closing the now turned to butt old emitter) and buying a Anakin FX lightsaber and adapting the innards and the blade to it.

BUT (there's always a but isn't there?) I read somewhere here that the new low budget FX sabers are not being accepted?

So that only leaves me the choice of going metal and that means a 350 or more lightsaber!

any ideas???

If I buy a 350 bucks plo koon lightsaber my wife will divorce me... I know that!

Please help me with this issues my friends! you're my only hope! (lol)

Last edited by General_Koon (Rick Vargas) on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:14 am; edited 10 times in total
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The low budget FX sabers they are talking about I believe are the $40 ones you can get at like walmart that are a lot shorter.

Also, while not exact you can get close to the look from the parts at custom saber shop. I did a quick on that looked ok from stock parts for just under $90 without the electronics in it. So there are some options.

And I do not think the yellow will go, the clone wars show was only shown to have the green. Just like obi wan has to have the episode 3 saber and not the episode 2.
Farlander ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zazarus wrote:
The low budget FX sabers they are talking about I believe are the $40 ones you can get at like walmart that are a lot shorter.

...and I believe that would break the 5. Lightsaber (No toy sabers, no Ultimate FX short saber). Lightsaber can be a static prop ("hilt-only") -- attached blade, LED lights, and sound effects, are allowed but not required. No red or black blades. Double-blade sabers are allowed. Best bet for a low-cost, non-toy, prebuilt saber is http://www.ultrasabers.com/category-s/70.htm
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help!

Looking at the sabers there and the pics of plo koon I could find online it seems he used this type of hilt with a Blue blade.

http://www.ultrasabers.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SOUND-CONSULAR

the setup with sounds would cost me 265 bucks. I think I can afford that. You guys think I could be accepted with that saber setup?

When I had my darth vader I used to do pretty heavy dueling with pretty much anyone with a saber at hand so there's no reason to think with Mater Plo it'll be any different.

I figure that since this is the single most flashy artifact in the costume besides the mask I can spend a few credits in it just to show off...

also, on the ebay belt. do you think that's good enough for approval?

what do you think?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the belt and the Dobby Hands.

Hopefully they'll arrive at the same time as the mask and by then I'll have the boots and the tabbard and pants.

only the lightsaber will take a tad more time to make. I'll sculpt the Clone Gauntlets this weekend and cast them for final pulls during the weekend.

I was thinking on doing the painted detail more like a molded detail in them? think that's a good idea?

cheers!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another update.

IŽll go for the Hilt only version for now while I mass cash for the metal FX lightsaber from parks:

http://www.parksabers.com/orpheus.html

that seems to be the all around accepted Plo Koon style LS so IŽll get that in about 3 months from now.

for the time being I bought this one:

the details looks good for a hilted version of the LS.

Going into details this is the version of Master Plo IŽm going for:

Detail I can see are unique to it:

1- The tabard has 2 "Shoulder pads" in the same material extending over the shoulders coming from under the tabard flaps.

2- The tabard flaps and skirt extends all the way down to knee height.

3- The Shirt sleeves and V neck are made in a lighter tone of brown. Undershirt color is the same as the pants.

4- The Boots are made in a layered style with each part overlapping the next and has a strap system over the main body of the boots.

5- Removable and "optional" Hood could be zippered or removed from the tabard at a momentŽs notice (???)

Today IŽm ordering the boots. Hopefully IŽl have them in 15 to 22 days tops along the tabard, shirts and pants.

IŽm going for richly textured materials (Nothing cheapo looking) I want the clothing to look heavy and great.

As soon as the mask comes in IŽll sculpt the eye pieces. IŽm not doing mesh only. I want full detail on this mask.

IŽll also add at least 2 more layers of latex to allow the mask to retain shape easier and padding to prevent any bobble head effect.

The respirator will be punctured lightly and carefully to allow instalation of an internal fan to inject air into the mask along a mic and cable that will connect to an amp hidden indide the tabard.

Leather gloves will be modified to unify the 2 middle fingers into one. IŽll but the gloves as soon as I get my Dobby Hands to be sure IŽll get them in the right size for the hands.

IŽll propably use gloves under the latex hands to pad them and avoid the "Old hands" look.

so thatŽs where I am right now.

Mr. Green
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used dobby hands from harry potter and drybrushed them
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep! Saw that and immediately looked for dobby hands on ebay and bought them.

CanŽt wait to make the talon greeblies.

How did you made those?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update:

I just finished sculpting the finger talons... let me know what you think please.

I think I got the proportion right... IŽll wait until I get the dobby hands to check sizes before I cast them and make final resin finals.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look great, are you going to sell them

i didnt use any for my plo, i knew he wasnt going to be formal so ididnt bother. nobody seems to notice when i troop, all they see is the mask.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the standards don't allow you to use a Hasbro toy saber of any kind...
but...
the good news is that you don't need a Plo Koon "hero" lightsaber...
so...
you can build your own non-working lightsaber hilt from stuff you find in the plumbing department at Home Depot..
you don't have to have a "working" lightsaber...

and...
no the smaller FX Sabers that you can buy for about $40.00 are not approveable either....

so...
I would go with making your own hilt....

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hartss wrote:
they look great, are you going to sell them

Well. I sure can, i mean I have to make a silicone mold for it so once having the mold I can do as much as the mold holds for. I can do them in black resin, so if the paint scratches it wonŽt be too noticeable.

Im currently preparing the molds for a 15 piece kit of greeblies for the Zam Wessell costume for the 501st Legion and Dented helmet so I can make the molds form those materials.

IŽll let you know when theyŽre ready for casting and pulling buddy. I donŽt think theyŽll cost more than 20 a piece plus shipping. The Silicone is whatŽs more expensive and this piece needs a 2 parts mold wich doubles the cost. if it was a single side mold they would cost 10 a piece.

let me know if you want them and I can surely make you a set. no problem.

Phyllis:

thanks fior the feedback on the lightsabers. IŽll make me a Generic prop Hilt for show only and Legion app. but in a few more months IŽll get me the parks FX lightsaber. ItŽs expensive (Kick in the nuts expensive) but I need a dueling saber. In my group the ones with saber Keep practicing and people love to see a few pases here and there so I need a saber with all the extras.

Cheers!

P.D.

Boots are now ordered. IŽll hopefully have them in a couple of weeks.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Question, If I buy say... a MR FX Anakin lightsaber and modify the hilt. would that work for Oficial App?
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General_Koon wrote:
Quick Question, If I buy say... a MR FX Anakin lightsaber and modify the hilt. would that work for Oficial App?

MR means it is the full size hilt/blade
so...
yes...
you can go with that...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. IŽm just buying one right now! Whoooot! Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: