About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ce0c5050ab73839c948644f7894888d0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Custom Fringer proposed guidelines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Custom Fringer proposed guidelines Reply with quote

Ok, taking the discussion from the female smuggler thread, I thought I'd take the challenge issued here:

JediMasterMark wrote:
Ed mentioned there was something previously about this - could it be resurrected? Or does someone want to lead the charge to create a custom Fringer?

Talk's cheap - start with a standard and we can go from there. It's either that, or I dig Bob in a kilt. han solo

The costume must be routed in the Star Wars Universe. References and inspriation must be provided for submission of the costume.

-References can be either images or descriptions.
-mixing and matching of source material is allowed.

If the custom Fringer is to be an alien, you must adhear to all standards set forth for that Alien Species in the RL.

Although you can find the basic inspiration in a costume from another genre, you can not copy that inspriation and submit it here. You must turn the elements of the costumeinot something seen in Star Wars. This goes beyond just changing the blaster. For example, there can be no exposed or visible buttons on shirts This is not seen in Star Wars. Also shirts with prints are also not seen. Shirts and Tunics should be a singular color.

Examples of described Fringe outfits:

Shipsuit - a Simple coverall, generally described as grey. You can use Fighter pilot jumpsuits (both Rebel and Imperial) as a base here. Grey, Orange, Black, Tan, red, whte, blue, and Green are all coverall colors seen throughout the EU.

there are numerous examples of "Han Solo" type outfits. Gavin Darklighter wears something similar in Bacta War. Changing the colors of the outfit and replacing the Bloodstripes with solid stripes or remving them completely Helps.

Using alternative Tunics, such as those found on Fleet Troopers, or the long sleeved shirts seen on Endor Commandos work as well.

the above is a quick beginning to get some discussion going. it is not complete. If there is interest, I think we can shape this up into something more usable.

Blackstar Squadron
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from the silence. This was a waste of time right?

Blackstar Squadron
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the silence Ed... not trying to ignore. In fact the day you posted this we started a conversation over just this issue between council and the LMO. We are still working our our thoughts on it.

Hang in there... we have no intention to just ignore our members. Smile

Bob
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Sorry for the silence Ed... not trying to ignore. In fact the day you posted this we started a conversation over just this issue between council and the LMO. We are still working our our thoughts on it.

I think this discussion should be visible to members ... and detachment should be involved too Wink ...

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
SoloYT1300 wrote:

I think this discussion should be visible to members ... and detachment should be involved too Wink ...

This is a matter in which the Council needs to figure out how it wants to proceed for the RL... that is what the Council is for... to pave the way. If for some reason the council and the LMO decide that is the direction we want to go in then... it would go to the detachments for potention standards and LCJ for commentary.

The discussion that the council has with the LMo is just that... between the LMO and the council.

You guys can have discussions here, but we can also have ours as well.

Bob
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Fringer proposed guidelines Reply with quote

IC-6369 wrote:

-References can be either images or descriptions.
-mixing and matching of source material is allowed.

The council has discussed this with the LMO and we have come to this conclusion. That per the charter (listed below in green) that mix and matching resources would directly go against the charter. The idea of having Generic Jedi standards has worked only because of what all Jedi's share in appearances. Unfortunately smugglers do not have a "basic" dress code in which one could ascertain what one would wear. To prevent our quality from degrading we must uphold this part of the charter when it comes to new costume standards as well as old ones. We need to have 3 separate sources for 3 references for 1 costume standard... if it is not in the movies.

Formal: Formal is defined as a costume from one of the six Star Wars films, Expanded Universe, or Lucas film Licensed Media (TV, books, games, etc.) as it would appear in those materials. Costumes must be complete, containing all the parts in good working order and appearance. All costume submissions must meet the Costume Standards listed in the Costume Standards Master List, on The Rebel Legion website.
Applicants submitting costumes for any Expanded Universe costume must also submit three (3) LFL licensed sources for the character/costume, in order for it to be considered Formal.

The section in the charter concerning informal is in its nature designed to fill the gap for:

1. Costumes that do not quite meet Formal standards.
2. Costumes that also do not quite meet the 3-reference rule can also fall directly into the informal category if " These original and customized costumes will be considered, provided that their level of customization has some precedence in the Star Wars Universe ."

There lies the problem. We would need to distinguish the Star Wars costumes from other genre that is out there... not something easy to do. Even more so, it is impossible to create set standards when we are talking about custom creations... without set parameters like Jedi.

Informal: Informal is defined as costume from one of the six Star Wars films, Expanded Universe, Lucas film Licensed Media (TV, books, games, etc.) that does not contain all the elements as it appears in the source material and/or is customized as the owner desires. An Informal costume can also be something never seen in a film, EU, or LFL media material. These original and customized costumes will be considered, provided that their level of customization has some precedence in the Star Wars Universe. Informal costumes may be reproductions of film or EU costumes that do not meet all the Costume Standards listed in the Costume Standards Master List, on The Rebel Legion website, or they may be EU costumes with less then three (3) reference sources.

Ed,
I cannot tell you how much it pleases me to see you so active on the boards and I do not want to detract you from continuing your passionate ideas for it's these kind of ideas that make the RL a great place.

Bob Kohn
Legion Council
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, thank you for the kind words. They really are nice to hear.

That said, I honestly do not think there is any place for me here anymore. The Legion I helped to create is no more. It is not just this discussion that makes me say this so no one here should feel I am directing this at them.

I probably should have remained an Ex-Member to the forums.

Again thanks for the kind words.

Blackstar Squadron
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure Ed,

I actually know how you feel in some ways. You made this club (with a few just like yah) and to see what it has become is a good and a bad thing.

This original idea of yours grew legs of it's own and is no longer the same creature you help create. This is how many great things start... however it isn't easy sometimes for the creater.

I imagine this is how a parent would feel.

However with that said... there is a place for you here... and always will be.

We may not be the same club you remember, but we will always remember those who got us here, and will always be gratefull for the contributions you have given.

It's easy to loose touch in ones goals when trying to strive for perfection... guys like you are a reminder to me we need to remember the why... to have fun.

Stick around... we always have a place for the makers... Smile

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: