About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=78260c4e534db76e7c8ba0725f65dfc8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RFT shirt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacRican ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: RFT shirt Reply with quote

Hola y'all!

So I redid my vest a couple of months back and decided at that time if I ever found a proper shirt (that fit), I would make another shirt to go along with the new vest. The shirt was found at WalMart and as you can see, it's a Wrangler brand. The XXL cost me $17 bucks and for the bib I picked up a short sleeve Small for about $14. This isn't a bad find in my book it took me several hours to get the bib cut, shaped and sewn onto the front of the shirt. I hand sew (sewing machines are the bane of my existence). The picture looks kind of funky because there is a lot of excess material doing it's own thing, but that's the gist of it.

I did not put a snap in the right shoulder area like some of the tutorials do. I actually tried a magnet at first but wasn't please with how it was hanging, so I ended up just sewing the whole panel leaving just enough room to squeeze my noggin through.

The cuffs are intact as of this writing, but I think there is enough material so that I can re-work them for more screen accuracy. I might work on that tonight. There is a convention that my base will be participating at on Saturday so if I start the cuffs today, I want them done before the Con on Saturday.

Sgt. Rook, RFT
Squad Leader
Rishi Maze Runners-RAID

"Sure would be nice if we had some GRENADES!"
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty darned good....

it is hard to tell in the photo...
but did you remove the pockets on the base shirt?
it almost looks like the pockets are still on the shirt....but sometimes...even when you remove the pockets you can still see the outline of where they went until the shirt gets washed a few times...

What I started doing was sewing (and hiding it when seaming the bibb on the top) a small piece of velcro in the center top of the bibb and the other part of the velcro onto the shirt front to keep that center and top of the bibb in place...I did that on both of my Rebel Commander shirts...works nice..

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
MacRican ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the pockets was actually the first thing I did with the shirts but their imprints remain. This pic was taken quite literally a few minutes after the last stitch went in. I haven't had the chance to wash it yet though to see if the imprint would go away, but I'm confident that it will. I had another shirt like that back in the day.

On a side note, I trooped in the shirt today at a convention and it held up and felt awesome. I'm fairly sure at this point that I can modify the sleeves to screen accurate standards (like I did on my other shirt). I may have to remove the buttons on the belly also as they kinda show through my shirt (I blame my fatness, LOL). I think after those mods are done, I'll start work modding the top front pockets of the vest. The only things left to do after that will be to find a better antenna for my helmet (mine broke today) and further down the line, give it a paint job as the plastic is starting to turn yellow in some spots.

Sgt. Rook, RFT
Squad Leader
Rishi Maze Runners-RAID

PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What color would you say the shirt is? Is it grey or light blue?

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the only known surviving shirt, from the auction site:

However, best is to match the other troopers in your area so you present a "uniform" apperance.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you need to move your bib up about one inch. It should be resting above the top button, like what is shown in Mac's pic.

Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hide the buttons.

Fact: The only buttons in Star Wars are on the troops in the background of the Yavin medal ceremony. They had to put hundreds of people into costume to fill the set, and didn't have the time or money to change the US Marines uniforms!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I troop, the top button is open so the collar falls to where it should be.

Sgt. Rook, RFT
Squad Leader
Rishi Maze Runners-RAID

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: