About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5b8f273f1db9d7dab6172d61c08e86e5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RFT Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbdgamer (Dan Decker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: RFT Questions Reply with quote

Hey all I'm new to the forums and I'm working on my first costume ever which is going to be a rebel fleet trooper. I just got the shirt I'll be using as a base today and I had two questions to start.

1. Cuffs: I've heard the rebel fleet troopers in the movie did not have cuffs on the sleeves of their shirts, I did not see this being specificly outlined in the Rebel Legion Costuming standards. Is removing the cuffs something I should worry about or will it be fine if they remain?

2. Bib: For the bib in the front of the shirt how should I attach that to the shirt, any way specific?

Thanks for any input and suggestions you can provide me with.
ShVagYeR (Michael Szymanski)
Eagle Base CO
Eagle Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome! Rebel Fleet Trooper is an excellent choice for your first costume. Smile

1. Your costume will be accepted as Formal if you don't remove the cuffs, because as you said it isn't addressed in the Standards. It is something that you are encouraged to do if your aim is 100% screen accuracy. But you don't need to do it to get approval and membership. Truth is, work on a costume is never done so you might just as well do it at a later date.

2. There is no strict standard for bib attachment, however to my knowledge most people stitch it its bottom and one side to the shirt and make one side detachable (is that a word? lol). They use naps or buttons, I use velcro. So the answer to your question is: whatever works for you. You can always change it once you get some trooping under your boots and work out the best possible attachment method for you.

Hope that answers your questions. Smile If you have any further doubts, don't be afraid to ask - we're here to help.

RL member 2007-2012, 2014-
Rebel Fleet Trooper
Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
Eagle Outpost/Eagle Base co-founder
DroidWelder ()

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my shirt, If I had removed the cuffs completely, the sleeves would be too short for my arms and would just look bad. But they were long enough to remove part of the cuff without effecting the look while being worn, so I cut the cuffs down and sewed them back up at about 1 1/8". This looks a little more accurate as I think there is a stitch line about 1 inch from the very end of the sleeve on the screen used shirt pic that I've been using for reference.

David L.
pico (Joe Cygan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have rather long arms. So, I just removed the buttons and sewed the cuffs. I figured even though the cuffs are still there, at least it is less obvious without the buttons.
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left my cuffs as-is and love being able to roll up my sleeves. I don't think it's as easy to do that if your sleeve is sewn all the way to the wrist. Not as screen accurate, but personally I feel it's still accurately recognizable as what's on screen; I've never had anyone at a troop, in-legion or from the crowd, notice or mention my cuffs. I have had them mention other things (that your vest should not go past your shirt's shoulder seam), which I have fixed.

I sewed by bib on my left side and it connects on the right via snaps. It's two sheets of fabric with interfacing in the middle. I did two sheets so that I could leave the top of the bib undone (Han Solo style) and have it look good, and also so the snaps cant' be seen. The interfacing reinforces the snaps and provides stiffness to keep the bib less-wrinkled.

Since it's sewn only on the left side I can still completely unbutton the shirt to put on and off, but the bib hangs awkwardly so I rarely unbutton either the shirt or the bib completely and just slip it on and off as one piece.
dbdgamer (Dan Decker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, I've been hard away at work, just hope its good enough when its done, I decided to remove the cuffs after all because the sleeves were to long anyway. I'm going to attach the bib with velcro see how it works, if it fails I might try snaps or buttons.

What type of boots do people use? I heard German Jack Boots are the best but I haven't been able to find any available in my size.
DroidWelder ()

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbdgamer wrote:

What type of boots do people use? I heard German Jack Boots are the best but I haven't been able to find any available in my size.

Many use the Xelement brand "Advanced Engineer" motorcycle boots (with the round toe.)

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-Biker-Boots/Classic-Motorcycle-Advanced-Engineer-Biker-Boot/41631.html

They are a bit pricey, but I've heard very comfortable to wear which is what you want if you plan to do any real walking in costume.
The lower strap needs to be cut off for approval.

David L.
dbdgamer (Dan Decker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
dbdgamer wrote:

Many use the Xelement brand "Advanced Engineer" motorcycle boots (with the round toe.)

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-Biker-Boots/Classic-Motorcycle-Advanced-Engineer-Biker-Boot/41631.html

They are a bit pricey, but I've heard very comfortable to wear which is what you want if you plan to do any real walking in costume.
The lower strap needs to be cut off for approval.

David L.

Only the lower strap? I was under the impression that the boot couldn't have any strap on it.
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-Biker-Boots/Xelement-Mens-Classic-Motorcycle-Harness-Biker-Boot/41645.html

Remove the harness at the welt, and you're good to go.

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Bragg wrote:
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-Biker-Boots/Xelement-Mens-Classic-Motorcycle-Harness-Biker-Boot/41645.html

Remove the harness at the welt, and you're good to go.

@ Mac

The one you linked to has a square toe. I thought the boots needed to have a rounded toe to be approvable???

From the "What You Need To Know" Thread:

Black mid-calf boots (or suitable substitute, shaft should be 11-13 inches tall; taller boots can have the pants bloused over to appear shorter). Screen accurate boots were jackboots. You can use engineer boots with a round toe and low heel but you MUST remove the strap at the ankle.

David L.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the boots that a lot of RFTs use...
and yes...
you have to cut off the strap at the ankle...

easily done with a sharp utility knife...
and ..
some masking or duct tape applied to boot to protect the boot in case you "oops"...

As far as the sleeves..
I have two RFT shirts...one had arms long enough that I could remove the entire cuff completely...leaving no holes or sewed shut seams..
the other I was able to remove the cuffs themselves and sew shut the seams...

My bibb is sewed down the one side....and across the top to where the shirt buttons...and the other side is attached with snaps that can't be seen...

other help and tutorials can be found here:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/tantive/

you have to join the group to see the tutorials and links.....

and...

yes...
you picked a good costume to start out with..

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RFT Tutorial has instructions for both the BDU vest and the shirt modifications with lots of pictures:

http://www.sunriderbase.com/RFT_Tutorial/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be better for the blaster? I heard you can convert one of the Hasbro toys, or make one yourself from PVC pipe. does one look better than the other? I assume converting the hasbro one is probably easier?
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO it depends on how many time and money you want to spent.
I did both versions - Hasbro and "complete self built"...and I prefer the Hasbro for it is more accurate (though too small) and has less weight...

It all depends on your preference...
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
DroidWelder ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hasbro blaster is just a little shorter in overall length than the much more expensive Master Replicas DH-17, but for the most part it looks almost identical.
It doesn't take a lot to mod the Hasbro to make it look decent and if you have access to one, that would be the cheaper/easier way to go IHO.

Ithink it's been said on the forum here that you can get approved with no mods to the Hasbro other than painting it. However I would at the very least cut off the Pull ring that cocks it to fire, and mount a metal "D" ring at the proper postion of the pull rod. This will still allow it to fire the foam darts.
(I have seen others just cut the entire pull rod off before.)

On mine, I also drilled and filed out some small triangular holes at the bottom of the trigger to make it look more like the real thing.
I just couldn't stand the look of that area behind/below the trigger filled in solid.

I would also recommend painting over the sides of the clear plastic LED lens. None of the real blasters had a clear lens that was visible from the side view like that.
You can mask off just the end of it so the LED pointer still lights up your target.

Before painting mine I used an inexpensive soft brass wire brush and thoroughly brushed every bit of the surface I could get to. This roughened up the surface just a little for better paint adhesion.

David L.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: