About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9992b6f0fe7eaa39037159bf1a8e0e8bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Senator Mon Mothma :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Senator Mon Mothma :) Reply with quote

Okay this may just be the UFO of all UFOs...

I started this before Ep III came out. I posted about it on TFU but not here so that shows how long ago I gave up the idea of finishing it...

Anyhooo, I am debating, now, between TCW version and the movie version, which was cut Wink

Either way the one with Bishop sleeves and funky base texture Smile

That is where I am up to! Why the sudden resurgence in interest? I found a suitable option for the chains and finally bought some today. Yes really. That and sourcing a nice tabbard fabric has been what has held me back. With the chain option I can now work on the brooches and medal and then work on the tabbard.

Oh yes and with TCW she is now recognisable to kids and I need a child friendly costume that doesn't involve lots of paint... Movie version Shaak Ti will be child friendly but tiring Smile

The dress has been made of two layers: a chiffon backing and a knitted fuzzy textured outer. I have since sewn in the princess seams as they were not visible when I first made the dress (again showing how far back I started, *shameface*)

I will be making a linen underdress to help support it, which is why I am debating between the movie and TCW styles- so very different in fit. TCW style is much more fitted and might work better with the materials I have. I just love the movie version more Smile

http://s756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/Xamikaze330/Star%20Wars/?action=view&current=MonMothma-TCW-scan.jpg
Okay, I do really like this version Smile

Next step is to draw and then edit in Photoshop the brooch pattern and then cut in plastic.
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're off to a great start! I'd say, go with the version you love most.

I see that you're cat likes to "help" in the same way my cat does, by sitting on the fabric you're working with. Smile
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great! I cant wait to see this come together!
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Furiafelina (Ineabelle Rodriguez)
Puerto Rico Base CO
Puerto Rico Base CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the fabric! keep going, looks great!

Detachment Leader / Former Legion Costume Judge
Anaria Zar-Rel (Kristy Glasgow)
Naboo Outpost XO
Naboo Outpost XO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Glad you're working on this costume again, look forward to following your progress Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all Wink I took a silly photo of me in a white jacket about the time I was debating whether to make the costume or not, I can't find it now or I'd share Smile

Tonight I shall make the files to print for the cutting of the plastic Smile
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the undergown has had the collar and cuffs bound, I will thread some soft elastic through them too.

The tabbards have been cut, faced, lined and sewn and hand tacked all around the edges. The fabric did not press easily at a temperature that wouldn't afffect the fabric so I had to hand sew the edges to lie beautifully flat.

I also found another necklace in a heavier size so that really is just about ready to be assembled. I didn't actually make the brooches, I got distracted by my repeat epic fail with my Shaak Ti headpiece (it is worth it, it is worth it, I know it is worth it... cry).

The gown does need a support so I will have to decide on what to make that from. I suspect calico as it can be starched to crispness and washed super easily Wink
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mon Monthma has a beautiful costume, and she's such a cool character. So sad they cut her out of ROTS! She's def. on my list sometime in the future

Love the picture with the cat in the middle of everything - does your cat always "help" you too? Razz

Mynocks deliver Babies
jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The broaches can also be made of sculpy and painted silver. That is how I did mine for the Ep 6 version. i then glued a broach pin to the back of each and hang the one on two silver necklaces that are braided.

I am currently working on trying to get the same look to the wool that the one from the movie is done in. They felted the wool but I am not able to do that and I can't seem to find a decent fabric with circles other than drapery fabric that is 20+$ per yard.

Your TCW one looks pretty cool.
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to properly sculpt mold and cast my brooches in resin as I don't want them to fall apart or be prone to breaking, I've used Sculpy for over 20 years and it has it's place but I am not a fan of it for costume work.

There are heaps of fulled laces (technically the process is fulling not felting as the original was made first then treated to be fluffy) but they are mainly acylic and I always find them in black not white.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: