About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f73e77b5df06725428d46cc1b867ba9fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel pilot belt flares?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pico (Joe Cygan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Rebel pilot belt flares? Reply with quote

Ok, not so much about how they look. Got my set of aluminum "flares" today and they are fantastic.

But, I'm wondering why they are referred to as "belt flares". I searched the forums and found nothing but construction information.

The pilot has 8 big flares on his leg. Why 12 little mini flares too? Seeing as the jedi run around with emergency rations, and pilots carry ditch flares. Doesn't it make more sense that they are survival food capsules? It fits the mission and the approximate size. And, being jedi allies it makes sense that they would follow the same practices in survival.

I would say spare power packs(ammo) for their weapons, but, they really aren't actually carrying weapons in the movies, so that falls flat.

Is there some lore that backs this up or is it just a "thing"? Seeking education.
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of this is like so many things in the star wars costuming that just becomes standard lingo for us. Like the term greeblie being used for most small parts. I use that term around other non-star wars costumers and they have no idea what it is. Or that the Mandalorians and so many have gauntlets when really they are vambraces (since they lack the hands to be fully a gauntlet). So on so many of these it could be a simple what are those? I'm not sure. They look like mini versions of the leg flares... on the belt... Mini belt flares, yeah that sounds good. LOL

But on other notes in the games and in the lore they were allowed and did carry blasters for missions. So might be ammo, might be food, might be small glow sticks so they can see. Might even be things to throw at the guy lecturing about the missions to keep it short and to the point. LOL
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The designations came from the Star Wars Visual Dictionary. As far as I know they just needed interesting things to label and made it up as they went along...

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:
The designations came from the Star Wars Visual Dictionary. As far as I know they just needed interesting things to label and made it up as they went along...

That's pretty much it. Don't put too much thought into it, this is isn't Star Trek, its not all meant to have an explanation.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zazarus wrote:
Might even be things to throw at the guy lecturing about the missions to keep it short and to the point. LOL

I like THIS explanation ... schrik

JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Jon said that everyone... schrik

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: