About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ed2b1a0717297bf1c4fa74ac34225701Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Red Leader questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pico (Joe Cygan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Red Leader questions Reply with quote

I'm working on a Garven Dreis "Red Leader" pilot costume.

From what I've seen there are varying levels of weathering on the helmet as it was in ANH through tours. Just wondering how much is required.

It looks like the cloth parts in ANH are pretty clean. So, what kind of weathering is done other than the helmet?

On these types of builds, what level of accuracy is necessary? Do the pinstripes and colors/shapes on the chest box need to be an exact match? I probably will, but need better pictures to get there. Are there specific requirements for each named pilot?

Are there resources around here that address specifics to named pilots? All I can find is the generic pilot requirements.

Thanks
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't currently have standards for individual pilots except for Luke. If I get the time, I'd like to write some up but we'll see.

Anyways, to be accepted you just need to hit the requirements of the basic standard. Little things like individual pilot details and weathering are not required, but I applaud the attention to detail if you do.
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you apply as a specific "face" character, we will compare the submission to reference materials of that specific character/costume.

Gavin's chestbox has the standard White-White-White-Blue over Blue square buttons, but his rocker switches are Gray-White-Gray.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I also noticed they are all 3 flat switches (I think like wedge or luke's middle switch).

In his special edition shot he also seems to have 3 sleeve tools and all 12 belt flares.

Here's the photos I'm using so far:

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, to date when dealing with Face Character pilots we haven't gone down the road of nitpicking the chestbox. Especially because we've sooooo many Face Character pilot, writing a standard for each of them would be a pain. Our guide is "make it look like it does on the screen." The deciding factor is that submissions for Face Character Pilots must have the correct Helmet paint schemes (all) and facial hair (Biggs). If you don't have those, we'll recommend that you change your submission to "Generic Pilot."

As for weathering, none-a little-a lot, it's all up to you. We don't call that out in the judging.

pico (Joe Cygan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I'm the type that if I'm doing an on-screen costume, it should be as close as my talent and budget will allow. So, I'll be making those switches. To me it would be like having the wrong lightsaber or belt buckle on a jedi. It just doesn't match.

From what I can see, the vest and belts have a little dirt on them and the flight suit seems fairly clean.

And, in the ANH scene the helmet is not nearly as weathered as in the tour helmet that has multiple movies and decades of handling. So, I'll probably do lighter helmet weathering to match what is in ANH.

If anyone has any more shots or details on good old red leader feel free to contact me.
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
To be honest, to date when dealing with Face Character pilots we haven't gone down the road of nitpicking the chestbox. Especially because we've sooooo many Face Character pilot, writing a standard for each of them would be a pain. Our guide is "make it look like it does on the screen."

It's a bit difficult to nitpick the chestbox when none of the suppliers for them offer any of the other options besides the "Luke" styled chestbox.

This is just my opinion, but if someone is going to bother doing a face character, they should go as far as they are able with the details.
I will probably never do a face character myself because I simply refuse to do one when I look nothing like the actor who plays that character!

Just an FYI: I make custom and face character chest boxes and offer pretty much all of the options. Rocker switches, wedge switches, and all the other details. (As long as it doesn't look too much out of the norm.)

David L.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: