About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=17af7b6a0d60584c64f2939e385e5019Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Belt - Pre Yavin era

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerfestas (Meaghen Gallagher)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Jedi Belt - Pre Yavin era Reply with quote

Hiya folks,

I am sure that this question comes up often, but I am hoping to find someone who knows how to work with leather to make a decent belt for a managable price. I've tried searching Ebay to no avail and I'd rather have something unique to my character than a replica of someone else's. I know many Legioners recommend making it yourself, but I don't know how patient I am to learn how to work with leather XD

Any recommendations?
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...sadly, for your situation, I'm not aware of any vendors that make real leather, screen accurate "Prequel" movie real leather Jedi belts. And if you do find some vendor who does, I'd just about assure you that the cost would be at least double or triple what it would cost to do it yourself.

I'm about to make two OWK and one Anakin belts. As I do so, I'll be posting a tutorial. But...alls you need, besides the leather, is the button studs, a mallet and about two days. They're very easy to make. The most physically demanding part of making the belts is the aging or stressing the leather to make it appear "worn" as they do in the movies.

So...I can give you a sneak peek of the process, if you like. Or...wait about 2-3 weeks and my next tutorial will be posted with lots of pictures showing you how.

Oh...total cost of making your own Jedi belt from real leather? From Tandy Leather Factory, without getting anythign on sale...the leather and button studs should run somewhere under $50. You can get that cost under about $30 if you're willing to make a bunch of belts or other leather projects (by buying a whole side of leather, rather than just a belt blank...granted initial cost would be more, but you'd get a LOT more than just one belt from a side of leather).

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my belt from Robeewankenobi at CVI. I'm not sure if he's still doing them, or if they'd be what you wanted, but I'm very happy with it and feel it meets the "decent belt for a manageable price" criteria. It's the belt I'm wearing in my profile pics.

This was his last thread where I got the info from him: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=551092&highlight=#551092

Edit: I'd looked into making it myself, and while the process didn't look bad (will probably try a belt in the future), I just had the issue of too little time and too many other projects.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will have to bite the blaster bullet and do so myself. Looking more into it last night I found some pleather ones on eBay, Ew, or ones from Museum Replicas for too much for me to stomach. I will look out for your tutorial then. I don't need it until May, thankfully!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pleather ones on ebay are kind of junky. They'll work for doing something cheap, but honestly the best thing I can think of about them is one can pirate the metal pieces for use in a new belt.

They came to fight for glory in the thousands.
Young men with their dreams.
They died before the guns in the hundreds.
A book of faded pictures, broken dreams.
Where are they now? The broken heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I had one before and it was something awful. As you said, good in a bind, but the velcro, and the removable strap to hide the seam and general bulkiness, not a good time.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corellian Imports makes them and will make to order.

I'm not including a direct web link, as I'm not sure if that's allowed...

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
The Sugar Jedi formerly known as The Grey Elf
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm'd Padawan

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-Jedi-Belt-NEW-/130390724755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5be49093
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: