About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e89631043f33951017a497ed605f78e5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Generic Jedi Costume Standards released - May 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have one question, what would the current take be on Darth Mauls attire?
Provided you switch belt and saber colour...

I mean, on all other fronts it meets the current requirements, especially since black is now also an accepted Jedi colour....

The reason I ask is, because I've seen JediMasterMarks's excellent light-sided interpretation of the costume, but It got me wondering, what if
someone made in black? Would it still be allowed?
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Frankly, in my mind Darth Maul's ensemble is a strictly SITH design, perhaps one of the only movie-canon ones we ever see. I assume the Sith did not dress like the Jedi, but rather had their own styles and traditions. Just look at Maul's robes. His tunic set is quite different from a Jedi's garb. It is more elaborate, with sturdier boots, gloves, different layers - it is an entirely different style of clothing. And his outer robe is very different as well. It is actually much more beautiful and stylized than a Jedi robe - a huge, beautiful hood, unique sleeves, pleated cloak - besides the length and basic elements (hood, big sleeves, etc.), it is a totally different piece of clothing.

In my mind, Darth Maul is the only Sith we see in their traditional garb. Sidious was in disguise all the time, Dooku wore his aristocratic nobleman's clothes, and Vader had to wear life-support systems over EVERYTHING. So I think Jedi should steer clear of Darth Maul's style; even in lightside colors, it is too different to fit the Jedi look to me.

Now mind you, this is my personal opinion. But I think I'm right. Wink

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree, hence the question.
Though, again, the one light sided version I =did= see looked pretty
awesome...

But still, Mauls outfit -does- meet all the requirements, if you switch the belt and boots...
ionicdesign (Michael)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Maul's outfit, in Black, is distinctively sith, and not a Jedi design.

Luke's attire from Return of the Jedi (the reason Black is allowed on Jedi from that era) is totally different.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are my boots acceptable? I had stopped by the CT Garrison table today (Kamino base) at CT ComiConn, and I was told that buckles are not accepted on boots.. I know visible laces / outside seam zippers are not accepted but I was under the impression that buckles were acceptable on boots, and there are a few recently accepted costumes with buckles on their boots..

If they're not, I can alter them and remove the buckles but I wanted to double check on here first. ^-^
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckles are totally fine. Kit Fisto and Mace Windu have buckles on their boots, as do a few others. Mine have buckles and they were approved. Those are some great boots; they are fine as they are.

Cool

kracken29 ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remembered that Mace Windu's boots had buckles, after I posted my question.. I would have mentioned that to the guys at the table if I had remembered lol Thank you for confirming that, Tag! Now I can take the photos this weekend at CVI and (finally) submit my application Very Happy

Thanks! They're actually riding half chaps with the spats and elastic taken off, and then attached to the boot- which was a pair of shorter winter boots. And luckily their color was the same so it made it even easier lol Smile
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kracken29 wrote:
I had stopped by the CT Garrison table today (Kamino base) at CT ComiConn, and I was told that buckles are not accepted on boots.. I know visible laces / outside seam zippers are not accepted but I was under the impression that buckles were acceptable on boots, and there are a few recently accepted costumes with buckles on their boots..

Where a lot of people dispense information about what is acceptable or not...
and freely give their opinions..
the people you really need to check with are one of the Jedi judges if you are ever uncertain about something...

and...
again...
remember...
just because you see someone accepted with certain costume pieces does not mean that said items are still currently acceptable...
costume standards are fluid...
sometimes much to even the Judges dismay...

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. But there is nothing in the standards saying buckles are not to be accepted, and my understanding came from a judge when I had the same question very recently. I would not be so certain unless I had reliable information, though I confess that perhaps I should have mentioned that in my reply. Clearly the validity of my point should have been supported; anyway, I do know that buckles are okay, based on what judges have told me.

Plus they look good! and fit right in with Jedi boots as seen on screen.

Mr. Green

Farra Sti (Andrea Stout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question in regards to jedi costumes. I normally take off my rings and take my earrings out when in costume. Do I actually need to do this? I had my eyebrow pierced back in March and I have a clear retainer I can wear in the peircing if I need to have the peircing hidden. Should I have it hidden when wearing my jedi?
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule of thumb, we try to present ourselves as Jedi that could have just walked off the movie screen. However, we do live in the real world. I, for example, will never take my wedding ring off, even if costuming as OWK who was never married. Smile So I'd take a practical approach to it - if you can, that's great, if not, there were surely characters in the SW universe with piercings and tats.

If in doubt about a troop, check with your event coordinator.
Farra Sti (Andrea Stout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright
jonathansams (Jonathan Sams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few questions.
Is Ankin the only character allowed to be completely sleeveless, as in his battle with Ventress? There CANNOT be generic jedi with short sleeve or COMPLETELY sleeveless outfits, correct?. If so, can a inner tunic with long sleeves have a V-neck, or does it need to be high neck, ie. mandarin, or turtle neck? Also, can generic Jedi have pants with cargo pockets? I didnt see anything in the standards for that. Sorry for the questions. THANKS to all the LCJ's and those who had input on the new standards.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will use my informal generic Jedi as an example...only cuz it is easy to find the photos..

note that this costume is informal only because the inner tunic has short sleeves...had I made the inner tunic with long sleeves...it would have been deemed formal.(something that really didn't matter to me...I have formal costumes..I made this one for the unbearable heat of the summer here in Chicago). The undertunic is a traditional "v" shaped left over right closure...

A close up of the inner tunic closure in front:

As far as cargo pants..
I would say no...
I have never seen a Jedi with cargo pants....
if you have examples of Jedi with cargo pants/pocketed pants...
by all means...let us know...
just cuz we are judges don't mean we know everything..

Laughing

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Jedi Kat (Katherine)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about design.

I plan (hope) to make my jedi with a sleeveless tunic with a full sleeved shirt/undertunic with buttoned cuffs. the tunic I want to wrap to hip as I think as I have a larger figure I think this will sit better on me

this is my design sketch but thinking i want to swap the closure to the other side (right over left which is more traditionally female)
I also have flat trades (drawing of the garment flat) of the tunic and the shirt if anyone wants to see them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: