About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9c3536e405216ff521f341394edd591aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jaren Valnor and rjc917's Joint ERT Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaren Valnor (Ryan Miorelli)
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Jaren Valnor and rjc917's Joint ERT Build Reply with quote

Hey!
I've been around this board for a while gathering info about the Endor troopers. This weekend, I hope to dive in full force on this project. As I've mentioned in passing, I'm working on this with a friend of mine, also named Ryan, who has registered on the boards as rjc917. Tomorrow various business brings us to the vicinity of our closest Jo-Ann's, Michael's, and surplus store, so we hope to pick up the majority of what we'll need. I have a few random questions...

-We already each have an accurate Czech two-pocket ALICE pack. However, I recall reading on DH2 that there is a small greeblie on one of the pockets and a hose running up the side of the pack. Are there any clear shots of these parts?

-What type of fabric is the soft helmet made of? Has anyone had particular success with any specific one available at Joann's? How about the gaiters?

-I've read that all pouches and the belt are M1956 US Army gear. Is this accurate?

-What is the best way to attach a rank badge? I've read about magnets?

-I've downloaded an ANH15 pattern from the endorbunker group. Besides the pieces needed in this pattern, what else do we need to construct? Should we pick up parts (snaps, straps, etc) tomorrow?

Thanks for all your help, and sorry for the length of this message! MtFbwy!
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I've read the Endor Bunker tutorials more thoroughly and found the fabric for the ANH-15 and gaiters to be khaki trigger and denim, respectively.

My next question...earcaps. Where can I get a pair of ANH-15 earcaps?
darthgrace ()
Legion Merchandise Officer
Legion Merchandise Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountain princess (i think) was making them.
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metal "U" and the fabric tab on the ammo pouches are distinctive to that type of equipment, along with the overall "square" shape to fit the M-14 rifle magazines, and the loops for holding the grenades on each side.

There are random bits of canvas British kit and WW2 era leather as well.

Keep in mind that Lucas made it a point to not have a "Sci Fi" look to the films. You really don't see any synthetic fabrics or plastic snaps, buckles, or zippers on any of the costumes.

Also, the post Vietnam ALICE series gear was current US issue at the time the movies were made. The shiny green nylon and plastic buckles are distinctive to that equipment. Every GI in the audience would have instantly recognized it - "I got that crap* in my wall locker!".

The shape is different to hold three 30-round M-16 magazines (longer and thinner), there are pouches to hold grenades, and the large plastic fastener is a dead giveaway.

*An actual infantryman woud not have used the word "crap", but this is a family area Laughing
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaren Valnor wrote:

My next question...earcaps. Where can I get a pair of ANH-15 earcaps?

You can also make your own earcaps with foam, batting and black felt...

Khaki colored "Trigger" may no longer be available..but you might still be able to find some on-line.Trigger is a cotton/poly blend fabric that Joanne Fabrics replaced with a fabric called "Target"...which is not the same..

Sad

What was so great about the khaki colored Trigger was that the color matched a real AN-H-15 just about perfectly....

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clairfication - the US M1957 items are ones that can be positively identified, due to the unique design. There are other canvas pouches seen, that we cannot see in enough detail to make an exact ID of.

If you can find items that are made from natural canvas materials, have "strap and buckle" fastners (metal buckles, please) and are a olive or dark khaki color you should be OK.

What we can see is that they are not "plastic" like some of the FAL/G3 style pouches, and are not nylon with plastic buckles. George really wanted to not look "SciFi" with shiny "futuristic" clothes and items.

I made the earpices with a layer of 1/2" hard foam to go into the cloth helmet and hold the correct shape, backed by a ring of soft foam. The outside covered with a thin layer of black vinyl and sewn to a layer of soft stretch material that matched the yellow color of the original earphone holders. I'll post some detail photos this evening.
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've not been posting...Darth Work is consuming my life, haha. Thanks for the input...the cloth helmet is the only thing really hanging us up. As discussed in another thread, I avoid leather with my costuming being a relatively strict vegetarian, so I'd like to make my ANH-15 rather than buy an original or replica.

We picked up a fabric simply called "khaki duck cloth"...it's a dark khaki with a slight greenish tinge. Would this work? If we can't use it on th helmet, no matter, since it seems okay for gaiters.

Thanks again!
Ryan & Ryan
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to pm me with your address...
I can send you a sample of the Khaki Trigger fabric so you can see if a local fabric shop has something similar.

Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerber Teg has a posted a photo of his original over in http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39785

Keep in mind that these items were cranked out by the 10's or 100's of thousands during the war. While there was an "official" specification for the color, the need to get them out to the troops left a lot of leeway.

http://www.ralcolor.com - anything close 1000, 1001, or 1015 should be close enough.
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice...and that swatch will be much appreciated, Phyllis! A few more questions...
-Mac, if you do have detail photos of the earcap assembly, that'd be excellent. I have an experienced friend sewing the basic helmet for me, but not the caps and straps.
-I've been putting new thought into the duster. Where have those who have gotten dusters approved bought their labcoats? I'm assuming not all labcoats will take dye/be the correct shape. I'm 5'9" and my friend is 6'2" and we'd both like something past the knee, if possible.
-That two-pocket ALICE pack...through a closer look at the films I know there's definitely a hose and at least one greeblie...is that a rank badge there? What do you guys use?
Thanks for everything!
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice...and that swatch will be much appreciated, Phyllis! A few more questions...
-Mac, if you do have detail photos of the earcap assembly, that'd be excellent. I have an experienced friend sewing the basic helmet for me, but not the caps and straps.
-I've been putting new thought into the duster. Where have those who have gotten dusters approved bought their labcoats? I'm assuming not all labcoats will take dye/be the correct shape. I'm 5'9" and my friend is 6'2" and we'd both like something past the knee, if possible.
-That two-pocket ALICE pack...through a closer look at the films I know there's definitely a hose and at least one greeblie...is that a rank badge there? What do you guys use?
Thanks for everything!
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the hardpack and the two pocket Alice Pack...
I used a piece of convoluted tubing for the tube on the soft pack....
and the greeblie that is attached looks an awful lot like one of the rank badges...so that is what I used...

as far as the earcaps....and chin straps...

there is a pattern for the leather pieces at the Endor Bunker...
the file is here:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cBvZT6iSequxAMnXD_wG6VF0Kojh1UVABtwGuAdZQtuBl4UtTCVF4gelsUB9JE51daUiS_aO7izN_6ffF9WYdg/ANH-15%20Leather%20pieces.pdf

As far as the earcaps...again....I sewed mine out of black felt over foam and batting...
generally....you can use the ear holes from the AN-H-15 pattern to help you get the size and dimension of the earcaps...

here is the one I sewed...

and this is it finished with the leather pieces...you can use pleather too..

It is not perfect...but it was my first attempt...
and...
combined with the hard donut...it looks pretty good...
here is Crix wearing it...

Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks excellent! It seems in real life that the earcaps are more of a slick look...I have a fair amount of black vinyl left over from my Luke RotJ pouch...could that work for the caps? Not sure how stretchy it is since it has a fabric backing, though...felt would probably work better.

Well, we've got all the parts we need, I think. Our planter donuts are about to be glued, belts, pouches, pants, and T-shirts are in the mail, just got labcoats yesterday, and we've been breaking in the Palladium boots [which are so insanely comfortable...I've worn them to work every day for almost a month!]. I've also got a good bit of time off coming up. Things are looking good!

One question...has anyone modified their Nerf DH-17 in such a way that it retains its Nerf functionality?
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://s781.photobucket.com/albums/yy93/greg883/Hasbro%20DH-17%20Conversion/

Some preview photos are in Gerber Teg's ERT thread as well.
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! Thanks! I've got my DH-17 here ready to go, and Other-Ryan's should arrive sometime later this week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: