About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bf22edbcb97cb487502765db8a6bb9b4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Pilot...With Rookie Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bootlegger ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: New Pilot...With Rookie Questions Reply with quote

Hello all,

First post, so please be gentle.

Right off, let me say that I've tried to do some research, but I've seen some conflicting reviews which is making me more confused, so please forgive the rookie questions. Also, some of the info seemed like it might be out of date, so another reason for newb questions.

What are the thoughts on Custom Props out of Argentina? Are they the same company as Evolution? I recall conflicting reviews of their vest, which is the main reason for this thread.

Should boots be smooth leather, or can they be pebbled?

I'm hoping to be able to get a flightsuit from MonCal, unless there is a better option, as well as looking on here for other components (belt, ejection harness, etc).

Who should I steer clear of completely? Costume-base seems to come up a bit as having issues, so I already have them on "that" list.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Chris
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey no problem, we're here to help.

No, Argentina Props (aka Custom Props) is separate from Evolution. Argentina props' vest is probably the most accurate vest on the market.

Boots should be smooth, but pebbled is acceptable.

MonCal's suit is excellent, I just got mine a few weeks ago. Its top notch.

The rest of the parts are easily made yourself for cheaper than what you'd pay online. If you really need someone to make it for you, Argentina Props makes all that, you might as well just get it from him if you're getting his vest.

You can get pretty much everything you need from these two sellers.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James beat me to it, but he's right on all counts.

Bootlegger ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, gents!

A couple more questions, if I may...

I was looking for a helmet kit...and was wondering who makes a good kit for a larger sized melon? I know Bradleyfett makes kits for a good price, and was leaning towards buying from him. But, my hat size runs 7 3/4 (62CM), obviously depending on maker and how long it's been since my last haircut, and don't want to fight to get a helmet on my head.

Also, is there a place to get vinyl painting masks for the Rebel Starbird and Aurebesh lettering for when I get to the painting portion of a helmet build?

Thanks a ton guys! Looking forward to getting this "off the ground." Mr. Green
JainaSoloFel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might ask Mark Bradley about the helmet and see if it fits a larger noggin. http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3333

Darth Hair would be another one to ask. http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7956

I've seen and tried on both kits, and they are wonderful.
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly recommend the helmet offered by Darth Hair: it's a very nicely done piece, comes built, and is offered at a very good price. He'll even paint them for you (and I've seen beautiful work from his painted examples.) I also have his chest box, and I'm quite pleased with it.

As for "making the other pieces yourself" I disagree with the above posts. That is not something that is necessarily easy. You can get metal bits in a very good period of time, at a fair price from Elvis Trooper (Kenny.)

My soft parts are all Custom Props (Argentina Props). I am very pleased with them, but would advise three things.

First, do not order helmets from them if they are offered (they do make them, and offer them as part of package deals, from time to time.) They charge an outrageous shipping cost for helmets, and it makes the costume quite cost prohibitive if you go that route (a Senate Guard helmet is $400 just for shipping.) Their other shipping costs are more reasonable.

Secondly, while very well made, be prepared to need to have some minor alterations made. For whatever reason, Claudio's tailors sometimes make costumes that are far too large in the hips/rear end area. I suspect that this is because, while he asks for waist size in inches, rather than waist size, the tailors/seamstresses sometimes interpret those sizes to mean American pant sizes rather than waist sizes in inches. Hence, a 49" waist might be a size 36 pant, but a tailor could conceivably see that 49 as a Size 49, and that makes for quite a difference. I wear a size 34/36 depending upon the maker, and ended up with a size forty four waist, which was, shall we say, -slightly- too large;) Other than that, it worked out fine, and the alterations weren't super expensive, but worth keeping in mind. It's very easy to take in a size (or ten), but less so to let out.

Third, get a time quote from them, and then add a minimum of two weeks. The general rule of thumb is that any delivery time Claudio quotes will always be two weeks longer in practice. Usually, you'll wait no more than four to six weeks, but it's always good to keep this in mind if you have a short time frame.

One other thing you'll need will be the boots. I recommend looking for Jackboots. However, many costumers will tell you to go to someone I do not endorse - Trident Militaria - who often carries very unusual sizes in stock at a good price. I don't endorse him because I know him well from historical reenacting. He tends to disappear for weeks, even months at a time, and you may never have your order processed; worse yet, he may take your money and simply never deliver. He is not a criminal, but he is extremely absent minded. So, while he offers many interesting pieces, there is no guarantee you'll ever actually see them. Better to look elsewhere. East German and Soviet Jackboots are ideal, but they are becoming harder to find.

There's a WW2 Reenacting Sutler, the "Russian Grunt" who used to keep East German/Soviet style jackboots in stock regularly in larger sizes. ff Dan is still around, he might be worth looking up. Avoid equestrian boots - if you must go this route, consider some of the costuming boots offered by Funtasma, available several places online. They are about forty to sixty dollars a pair, and will hold up to trooping, at least in the short term. Not too terribly uncomfortable, either.

Oh.. one other thing. Be cautious with Mon Cal if you're thinking about his flight suits. They are nice indeed, but cost up to three times what it'll cost you to make them yourself or buy them from another source; in addition, he tends to take on more than he can handle in a reasonable time frame. You may end up waiting four weeks for your flight suit, or four months (even longer... his TIE stuff is available in an average of eight months these days.) Better to know what you're in for before committing. Nice guy, not a crook at all. Just, tends to get overwhelmed with orders.

-Alex
BobaFuss (Doug Cottrell)
Canadian Base CO
Canadian Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have MonCal's flightsuit. This is the 4th flightsuit I've purchased and it is the most accurate I've purchased, and one of the cheaper ones (you can contact him for pricing). I didn't need to make any alterations, aside from weathering.

Rebel Legion Canadian Base C.O.
501st Legion Canadian Garrison G.M.L.
Bootlegger ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome tips and info! Really, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another recommendation for claudio/coliver. Made to order, exellent quality, attention to detail. Contact him via PM for Legion member pricing.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered from both MonCal (waiting) and Claudio. What I liked about Claudio is that I'm a bigger guy and I said, "hey, can I get this bigger?" and he replied how big do you want it, I can do it....
So I know I wouldn't have to adjust or fix things myself...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: