About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0aa002590bbca070c512af0e35345020Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Thinking of Slave Leia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend of mine who lives in CA that had private access to the slave leia on exhibit that was screen used and they told him that the suede pieces on exhibit now with the costume are not the original pieces that were used in the movie because they had all fallen apart long ago, and that it was replaced with suede that looked close for exhibit purposes, but he was told that the correct color was a very muddy olive/taupy colored suede, that was a very hard color to replicate because it would look different colors in different lighting conditions. It would look olive, gray, taupe etc in different lights, but more like a mixture of all three LOL. People have debated the color of the suede for so long now.

Any of those colored suedes are accepted for approval though, it just depends on what you can find for your boots and what you rather go with.

Just as Kathy said though, you can attempt to sew in a more modest bikini bottom if you know how to sew and you can ensure it cant be seen most of the time. Smile
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the boots? Because the boots construction wise look spot on to all the promo photos from ROTJ so they did a great job reconstructing them! (which is entirely possible I suppose). Now that I look back at a promo photo of Carrie and the boots on display, it seems that the sole of the boot in the move was a little thicker in front!

Well, if I ever get a chance to talk to people from the archives again I hope I remember to ask about that Smile Last time I saw them was at CIV and had not thought to ask about the Slave Leia parts. Just asked about ANH Leia and a few other things. It would be nice if they came out to Florida this time. I really miss having the archives display at Celebration.

If I were to go based on combining ROTJ photo reference - I'd say that the olive green many use in their Leia costumes is far too green. If anything it is more of a dark muddy grayish brown with hint of olive at best but not actually "olive green." Hard to describe colors though if the originals are gone and all we have are old photos that don't always represent the colors as they really were. (Example, the whole Han ESB jacket looking blue in pics and on film when it is really brown. Shows how easy it is for color shifts to happen in printed photo material v how it is in person).

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, he told me that the boots and the bra inserts were not the originals from the movie. There are a lot of things on display that I dont trust are the originals from the movies, but, im sure that a lot of them are.

Yes i agree that if you do use olive green, that it not be a GREEN GREEN color, because that would be incorrect. I, for instance, use olive green suede for my costume, and many have told me that in pictures my suede doesn't look green at all. Smile

I would love to see that costume on display myself Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ember ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend tights underneath, they are quite obvious (sheen-wise and waistband-wise), but there are plenty of precautions you can take Wink

Lots of ladies wear pants with narrow clear sides, snap-on underwear that are snapped just to the front and back plates so you don't see anything at the sides, or a C-string. I use the latter 2 options together. The C-string does take some getting used to, but the snap-on underwear helps hold it in place.

My skirts are each 1 metre wide, and are gathered into the front and back plates to add nice volume.

As for the boots, I just made covers to fit over an old pair of slip-on ankle-boots using heavyweight upholstery suede.

If you're still needing help with the hair, I recommend Tressa the Dressa.
She's incredibly helpful and will make an effort to colour-match to your hair. I've upgraded my braid with one from her and it's so long and lovely (it may need rebraiding a bit tighter but that's not too difficult to do yourself).

I've also got a Slave Leia Tutorial which I hope you may find helpful.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful encouragement and advice. I have some progress pictures I would like to share.

I have worked on the hair (being one of my biggest concerns). The second picture is my first attempt at the bun and braid. Sandy let me know on Facebook that the bun would work but was not movie accurate. So I went back to reference photos and took the amount of synthetic hair I had and cut it in half and fashioned a loose braid to make into a bun over my own hair.(The third and forth photo)

I also wanted to try fabricating my own earrings. The first photo is the actual movie ones and the second are my own.

The boots were another concern, on Ebay I found a nice pair of Olive (although in the photo they look grey) boots that I believe Sandy linked in a different forum post.

I plan on fabricating the chain attached to the collar myself and 20 plastic rings on Ebay that I think were the right dimensions compared to reference photos. (1 1/2" wide and the plastic is 1/4" wide )

This past weekend I worked on dying my 12mm Habotai Silk with the Acid dye Cabernet. The first photo are my test swatches. Then I went on to dye the whole lot of fabric It took three dye baths total to get the shade I really wanted, although it could be a tiny bit darker.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are making AMAZING process with this, Anna!!! I can't wait to see it all finished!!
Legion XO
Legion XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats so awesome!!! I want to make the accurate earrings too!!! Smile

It's very hard to tell exactly what is going on with her bun that is in the bun holders up there on her head, but, as per the current standards for this costume, we cannot have a braid up there around the bun, only the long braid hanging down, so just make sure that its unbraided hair for your bun up there and you will be totally golden Wink But i agree that it is very hard to tell how her hair is fashioned up there...

Yes, those boots look great Smile You can use the excess fabric that you cut from your boots for your bra cups if you so choose. Smile

I want to replace my slave leia skirt too soon before C6, as I have worn my original one out over the years. I love seeing the progress photos, keep up the great work!!! Smile
Mira_Darkstar (Anna Rossmann)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I will be posting new pictures after this weekend. Wink
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Sandy, I wonder if we should reconsider the standard for the hair. The picture Anna posted of Leia really does look like a loose braid/bun.

Fabulous progress Anna! I love your attention to detail in all your costumes! (Can you tell I'm the proud costume liaison of her [my] base?!)

Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
You know Sandy, I wonder if we should reconsider the standard for the hair. The picture Anna posted of Leia really does look like a loose braid/bun.

Fabulous progress Anna! I love your attention to detail in all your costumes! (Can you tell I'm the proud costume liaison of her [my] base?!)

I guess we can bring it up? It wouldnt hurt to further try to research it and see what exactly is accurate or not. I am just going according to the standard and the most recent info we have on it.
Let's see what we can figure out. Wink
Mira_Darkstar (Anna Rossmann)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Sandy wrote:
Mieal Deneb wrote:

I guess we can bring it up? It wouldnt hurt to further try to research it and see what exactly is accurate or not. I am just going according to the standard and the most recent info we have on it.

I will try and get more pictures, going frame by frame on my Blu Ray.
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!! Please get us more images!!!!! That would help a ton! Thank you!!! Smile
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Sandy wrote:
Mieal Deneb wrote:

IMO - the bun looks like it could just as easily be a two stranded twist. That is how I interpret the images I've seen and how I do my bun on the outer section.

Reference photo: http://kay-dee.net/costumes/slave_leia/hair3.jpg

I wish I had a close up of my hair to show you. Maybe you can see my bun well enough from this pic: http://photos.imageevent.com/kay_dee/dragoncon2009/slaveleiaphotoshoot/websize/_MG_7228%20copy.jpg

So, I just hope the standards would leave room for two stranded twist type braids in addition to 3 stranded braids. Smile

IMO - standards are just fine. The bun is so covered by the hair decorations that I honestly would have a hard time thinking I should tell someone their costume could not be admitted to the RL because the bun is not perfect.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kathy! Now that you point that out, it does look like a two stranded twisted bun instead of an actual braided bun.
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to know, but the strands are so thick it seems to me it could just as easily be a two stranded twist. But I think thick braids look fine too Smile Heck, any bun in roughly the right size looks fine to me given all other parts of the costume are top notch.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: