About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=30f0e64f8fefd6668f9218b31efd625bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Overgrown Padawan seeks guidance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Alpha Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubba.d.fett ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Overgrown Padawan seeks guidance Reply with quote

Howdy Rebel Firends,

I've come to the decision I'm gonna focus on building my Jedi kit and getting signed on with the RL. With that being said, this noob could use some help getting off the ground, can anyone point me in the right direction to get started?

I already have a good idea of what I want to do as far as the look of my robes go, I just dont know where to start. I don't know what kind of fabric for the layers I will need. Any info I can get would be hot.
JediKai (Kate B)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the tutorials....
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=250

Also, I have my own set of tutorials, most of which you can download as a pdf from my very simplistic web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~jedikai/

I also have some photo ones:
http://public.fotki.com/kait/star_wars/tutorials/

You are kinda north of me but if we can meet somewhere in the middle, I would be happy to go fabric shopping. You can get better selection and sometimes better deals on-line, but you have to know fabrics.

It is entirely likely this first set of Jedi garb will not be your last. With that in mind, I would recommend inexpensive yet good looking and durable fabric. That would be 100% cotton Osnaburg. Hopefully you want light tan tunics because the 100% cotton Osnaburg only comes in that color, at least at my local JoAnn's. It's pretty cheap at a few dollars per yard. Still, sign up for the JoAnn's coupons and use a 50% off one to buy the yardage.

Here's my standard advice (which I keep as a text file for just this purpose):
I always recommend only natural fabrics if you want to stay comfortable. Any synthetic content will make you feel warmer. So, 100% cotton (just not think cotton), linen, silk, wool. And you can wash all these....just use a cool dryer. Wool will sometimes "felt" a little, but IMHO, that's a good thing in a robe as it will keep you warmer and dryer. Just be sure to wash before you cut if you're going to wash the costume and buy a little more in case of shrinkage. I have stopped drying my 100% cotton costumes (TJA and SCA) in the dryer as I've learned that cotton will continue to shrink!

Indeed, silk noir/raw silk is cool. And it doesn't have to be expensive. At Thai Silks has some of the cheapest I've found if you get the natural (which IS a perfect shade for the standard Jedi garb)
http://www.thaisilks.com I've used this in my garb.

I also like gauze for the undertunic as it is 100% cotton and very lightweight. If you watch for sales, it can be gotten cheaper. Sign up for JoAnn's mailer and you'll have a 40% or 50% off coupon every 10 days.

My favorite fabric is linen. It wears like iron. Linen/rayon is not a bad option as rayon is made of cellulose so still "kinda" natural. I've seen linen/rayon or linen/cotton in a natural color at JoAnn and it is a nice fabric. You'll need the sale coupon as it runs about $7/yd.

Fabric.com http://www.fabric.com/ often has linen but you have to watch for the right weight and color. Go with medium weight, usually. Right now they have a couple nice dark browns.
bubba.d.fett ()

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kate, I'd love any help I can get. Depending on when you're free and where you want to meet we should be able to do something to meet up. I don't mind getting some stuff on line if need be, I figure I might have to do that anyway, I just like going to the stores to I know what I'm going to be getting.

As far as my look goes I was gonna do the traditional tan robes (Epi3 Obi looking) with some darker outer tunic and cloak.

Thanks for all the info, I better get checking things out.
JediKai (Kate B)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm retired, so am very flexible. You're way North from me, though.
bubba.d.fett ()

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm kinda out there. Where are you coming from exactly?
JediKai (Kate B)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bit east of Southcenter Mall area.
bubba.d.fett ()

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still appreciate any help you could give me though, Chuck is local and hopefully he'll let me pick his brain too Razz
JediKai (Kate B)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes. Chuck is an excellent source.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Alpha Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: