About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3180349ea1f5e00646cf11d21e5880bfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

So... what do pilots wear when out of flightsuits?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: So... what do pilots wear when out of flightsuits? Reply with quote

I don't think this was ever answered by canon, or EU/RPG canon; maybe it was, and I missed the memo, but what do you think Alliance pilots wear when on duty but not in flight suit? Ie: as flight controllers, and in other roles not requiring flight equipment.

For my part, since all Rebel pilots are theoretically officers, I'd conjecture that they'd wear what we commonly refer to as the "Alliance Fleet Officer" uniform when on duty. Of course, I've also heard a fairly convincing argument (one I like) that they might very well have worn the same khaki type fatigues we see Luke wearing in ESB. Perhaps they'd wear both: the former as a dress/command uniform, the latter as a less formal duty "fatigue" uniform.

Any thoughts? Has the Legion made any rulings on this?

-Alex
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a dress uniform from the Rogue Squadron comics.

As far as informal uniform, I'd go with a Luke dagobah, but frankly as far as canon really shows, they don't really use an informal uniform. Most depictions are "street clothes", flightsuits, or dress uniforms.
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam8114 wrote:
There is a dress uniform from the Rogue Squadron comics.

As far as informal uniform, I'd go with a Luke dagobah, but frankly as far as canon really shows, they don't really use an informal uniform. Most depictions are "street clothes", flightsuits, or dress uniforms.

Wow. Those are... unfortunate looking;)

I wonder why they wouldn't wear Naval uniforms like the rest of the fleet officers when on duty? Odd.

-Alex
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... they've not aged well but there are better depictions of them, that's just the only one I could find quickly last night.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately we've all lamented this sorry state of affairs. I blame all the comic book artists who didn't want to draw all the uniforms. I believe they had them (meaning the Rogue Squadron pilots from the comic run) all in street clothes so that they could identify all the different characters easily.

Crying or Very sad

Personally, I'd LOVE LFL to actually come out and call Luke's Bespin gear a pilot duty uniform. I always thought that another cool option could be what Tag & Bink wear at the end of their comic. Basically the ROTJ rebel officer outfit, but without the blue - all tan. But that's the only place it appears.

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Jon, that's pretty much my opinion as well Jon, mixed a little with you know you really don't see Leia, Han, and Luke in uniforms much either, well some of them are supposedly uniforms but you rarely see examples of other characters wearing those costumes, other than the obvious examples of Luke's pilot suits and Leia's Hoth and Endor gear.

I need to find and go through my Rebellion comics. I know there are images of other characters in the Dagobah fatigues, namely Danni. While its doubtful we'd get an official "yeah those are off duty officer uniforms" I'd say that's as close as you're going to get.
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as Luke had no possessions when he joined the Rebellion, I would imagine most everything he used or wore, up to the time he became a Jedi shortly before ROTJ, was Alliance issue. So I should think the "bespin fatigues" would actually be the off-duty uniform. It certainly has a military feel to it, not to mention it is made in the Alliance color scheme with Alliance footwear.

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again Alliance issue would have been whatever they were able to beg borrow or steal. I see alot of Imperial gear being used if that's the case. Possibly a bunch of tan or gray jumpsuits or the Bespin fatigues?

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only non-Calamari Alliance Fleet officers we've seen outside starfighters are in Episode IV, and they are wearing the "Captain Antilles" cut. I think it would be reasonable to assume that "Undress" would consist of the Luke type fatigues, and that "Non Flight Duty/Dress" uniforms would be of the Antilles cut.

(Crix Madine was a ground forces officer; not a naval officer. I can't think of anyone else who wears that particular cut and can be identified as being involved in Fleet operations.)

Given that the Alliance was habitually short of materials of any kind, yeah, I could see that those fatigues might be of a wide variety of colors, but they never seemed to lack for uniforms for the various officers we seen in the films.
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love this Question, and although it wasn't answered in movie Canon, the EU canon (LFL does have several degrees of Canon) has answered it without a doubt. It also covers the 3 Resource requirement to make this a formal costume. In fact before I left the Legion, it was a formal costume.

This is from the West End Games Star Wars RPG "Rebel Sourcebook" The picture's Caption pretty much covers why I pushed to have "Bespin" Luke as a pilot or Rebel Officer Costume.

Then we have Deena Shan, here are images from 2 different comic stories (different refernce Sources)

And the second source:

It should be noted that although the second source has the Jacket open, all characters were drawn witht he Jacket's open, including Luke.

Third EU reference is from LFL artowrk done by Joe Corroney. It was featured in Star Wars Gamer Magazine.

And finally we have Luke Himself. Although a Jedi in Training, he was actually a Commander in The Alliance Starfighter Command.

Although the comics have tended to display pilots in civilian clothes more often then not, they had been getting better (until Rebellion was cancelled)

This costume should meet Legion standards to be adopted as a formal Off Duty/NonFlightsuit costume. [/list]

Blackstar Squadron
MadKidJedi (Dean Amsler)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always been my thought that the "Bespin Fatigues" as they were called (...why...? Because we saw them 'mostly' during his time in Cloud City...???), were just that... fatigues. Military issued. But as others have previously noted: the Rebellion was a "beg, borrow & steal" kinda operation, so they obtained and used whatever they could to dress their people (kinda like our own rebellion here 150 years ago in the Southern States).

I also, albeit perhaps foolishly, that the "uniform" Luke wore during the Medal Ceremony at the end of "A New Hope" was what was considered a Dress Uniform. Just my two cents.

(BTW: I think Papa George would plotz if he knew we were debating such "issues"... but it is fun, ain't it?)
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine that the name "Bespin Fatigues" comes from the fact that Kenner packaged the action figure with this name. It kinda stuck. I think the ESB Han was also packaged that way as well, even though he wore it on Hoth as well.

Blackstar Squadron
jedimasterbatty (Björn Westin)
Active Legion Member

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the "Bespin fatigues" was more for the older Jedi Padawans?

If the pilots walked around the hangars and flight deck I always imagine them in the flightsuits without the other gear and on their free time they must have had regular "street clothes".
But the Bespin fatigues does make some sense..? Embarassed
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta remember, when Luke wore the Fatigues, there were no Padawans, either inuniverse or in Star Wars at all. The name Padawan came with TPM.

Luke, when he was Issued the fatigues, was a jedi in training, and had no master. Obi Wan was dead and he didn't meet Yoda till later. Plus all the Actual Padawans we've seen all wore Jedi Robes. Not Fatigues.

Blackstar Squadron
jedimasterbatty (Björn Westin)
Active Legion Member

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more of Corran Horn on the cover of I,Jedi.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/0/0e/IJedi_PB.jpg/250px-IJedi_PB.jpg

And Luke´s first Jedi "Padawans" from Jedi Academy-Leviathan comics.
http://images.darkhorse.com/common/salestools/previews/swjal1/swjal1p2.jpg

Then the Solo kids had their flightsuits that just looks to be a "new version" of the Bespin fatigues.
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172362310l/169000.jpg

But to go back to the subject I do belive the "normal" uniform for pilots must be the orange flightsuit with maybe a belt?! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: