Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f5896ea75237579da0caac3462bd2cc4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blue linen padme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Blue linen padme Reply with quote

So, I'm thinking this will be my next costume.

Having some trouble finding a lace that I like for the overlay, but I think I've decided on a dark blue underdress with a black lace overlay (even though the pics show the color in the lace, it is difficult to find, but then the pics also show the dress being more purple than blue at times as well, so maybe that's just me). I'll be drafting the pattern and working on a mock-up hopefully soon.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts about how to attach the half belt.
JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at various images, it seems that the color of this dress changes based on lighting. Sometimes it looks almost teal, sometimes black, sometimes purple and sometimes blue. Needless to say, it is a very confusing dress to match colorwise, especially since the color is on the lace. Most people I've seen do this dress use a black lace overlay (which it looks to be a black or very dark navy dress with a colored lace overlay in some pictures) with either a black or dark navy dress.

I found a really nice, not overly floral lace at my local fabric store today that I think would work very well with this dress, but I'm at a loss as to what to put underneath it. I found a really nice dark dusky teal blue, a navy blue and of course, a black fabric that would work with it. I really like the teal blue, but I'm not sure if it deviates too far from the original (screen shots look black or dark navy). So I took some pics. Unfortunately, with my cell phone camera, the colors are not true to life at all, but here they are.
This is the teal, but it is actually darker than this.
teal with black lace overlay.
Again, it looks much brighter in the picture, but this is a true navy blue.
Navy with overlay

and one of the images that got me thinking teal in the first place.

So any thoughts, suggestions or opinions? Should I just go with black?

I'd really like to get started on this in the next couple of months (once I hit 2nd trimester), as I'd like to wear it at least once before I have to make a preggo pillow to go under it (I'm due in December). Also, I'm not sure how long the store with have that lace, so I'd like to get it ASAP, and it would be nice to get everything at once. Ordered my beads today too!
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, this is what the standards say:

Required Items:

Floor length navy blue or black dress made of non-shiny fabric with lace overlay. Costumer should appear pregnant.
Black jet bead necklace with dangling jet beads in the center.
Black jet bead belt with large black center stone and chains of black jet beads but stops under the arm.
Long curly hair, parted in center with rolls on either side, above the ear. Naturally occuring hair colors only.
Flat or low heel tailored shoes in a coordinating color.

Optional Items:

Black lace shawl with black sequin trim.

To me, the dress itself is a navy color, so I'd go navy if I were making it.
JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what I'm probably going to do. The two fabrics are very close in color (which the pics don't show AT ALL!) just the teal has a touch more green in it. so that it actually looks like the bottom promo shot. However, since it only shows up that color in like two pictures and seems almost black in everything else, I'll likely pick up the navy fabric as soon as I can.

thanks for the input.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the promo pic you posted I think the dress looks petrolium colored. Rolling Eyes The overlay doesn't look black either, but just very dark blue.

Good luck with it and the baby. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the promo pic colors are ALL sorts of weird. The lace actually looks colored over a black dress in some of the detail shots. Screen shots from the movie shows the dress being almost black, with no real color distinction between the overlay and underdress. And unfortunately, I do not own a copy of this particular film in any format to rewatch the scene. Crying or Very sad

And thanks for the well wishes. We're excited, hoping for a girl this time, and I'm hoping to have this done while I can still wear it!
Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if you could get screen shots on youtube or someplace online?
I'm sure you could borrow someone's movie to watch screen shots or rent it from a blockbuster? Mr. Green Maybe could find it for sale cheap online or at wal-mart too. Wink

I am not extremely familiar with some of the Episode III costumes, but I will do my best to assist you with this.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, Sandy, partly this was an off-hand way of me trying to convince myself to get the blu-rays (which I totally want, but just hasn't been in the cards recently).

It's such a shame that I don't get paid on Friday, because the fabric store has a 15% off entire purchase coupon for mother's day AND a 40% off one cut of fabric! But no, I have to get paid on the 15th. Sad
Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile hopefully you can get started on it soon
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my beads are waiting for me at the post office! And I've ordered fabric! Just in time for school to get out!
Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member

Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo hoo
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a devil of a time trying to find beads that would be suitable to use for the focal points on the belt. I've managed to find all the other ones, but the three round and three oblong ones are driving me nuts.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions, especially if I have to make them? I've looked on etsy, firemountainbeads and ebay for something similar. I'll be asking at a local bead shop tomorrow (If I can get some time). If I have to make them, I'd like to keep the faceted feel, if possible, so any ideas would be appreciated.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaclynGFC wrote:
Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions, especially if I have to make them? I've looked on etsy, firemountainbeads and ebay for something similar. I'll be asking at a local bead shop tomorrow (If I can get some time). If I have to make them, I'd like to keep the faceted feel, if possible, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Your 'problem' while searching is probably that you're using the wrong terms, since those aren't beads - they're gemstones.
For the round ones:
(Image!) google "Acrylic faceted gemstone" or "acrylic flat gemstone", and you'll find something like this. I just clicked one of the first results; there are TONS more.
In case you only find the correct size but not color... since these are just black, you could always spray paint them using glossy paint.
For the 'longer' ones, image google "acrylic flat gemstone navette" (alternatively: "acrylic faceted gemstone navette" - the shape you're looking for is called 'navette', that's why ;-) ) - you'll find something like this, but again, there are tons of more results, and again, for color, you could spray paint them.
And of course, for all the searches, you could substitute 'gemstone' with 'gem' or 'gems', 'jewel' / 'jewels', and so on... and get even more results by doing so.

Edit:
In case you want the extra sparkle and weight (plus the extra price... but also the extra glamour!), you could substitute the 'acrylic' with 'Swarovski Elements' - yes, Swarovski, too, makes large round (style 2035) and navette stones (styles 4200 and 2200) - for Swarovski stones, you want to look at the 'jet' color. In that case however I'd also recommend to use jet black Swarovski beads for all the other regular 'round' faceted beads.
As I said, it adds to the weight and price... but you won't find better sparkle and glamour than with Swarovski beads / stones.

Hope that helps Very Happy
JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH THANK YOU!!! I figured it was something like that, but couldn't for the life of me think of what I should actually be searching for! (I blame the baby for eating my brain!)
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!
And never mind, I have my blonde moments too ;-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: