About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5fea233f037575c64491a358fba5cbe3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mandalorian Jedi?????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Revan's mask was a Mandalorian mask. It belonged to a Mandalorian woman who tried to defend the Cathar against the Mandalorian attack, arguing that they were already defeated and genocide was unnecessary. She was killed along with the Cathar, and Revan found her mask in the aftermath. He put it on, and said it was staying on:

So that was a symbolic choice against the Mandalorians, in the memory of one woman's sacrifice.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe...thanks for the reference. I thought so...but was too lazy to go looking for a reference.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that the Jedi, Mandalorian, and Sith are cultures and ways of life. One can't be a pure Jedi if they are living the Mandalorian lifestyle. Same goes for Sith. With that said, There have been Force Sensitive Mandalorians. I believe Freedom Nadd is the closest thing in canon to being both a Jedi and a Mandalorian.

Nadd's Father was a Jedi that was hunted down and killed by Jedi Hunters. He had trained Freedom as a child and after his death a Jedi master continued his training. Over his life Freedom Nadd fell to the dark side but then returned to the light after getting revenge for his parents murder.

After this, Freedom Nadd became one of the Republic's greatest warriors and even lead one of their covert ops teams. During one of these covert ops missions, Nadd was seriously outnumbered and was gravely wounded but continued to fight. Just before he was about to be defeated, he was saved by a Mandalorian. This Mandalorian was the daughter of the leader of the Shadow Warriors (a Mandalorian Protector special ops group).

Freedom recovered from his injuries with the Mandalorians and was even trained by them. Freedom fell in love with and married the Mandalorian that rescued him. In order to do this though, the woman's father required Freedom to prove himself in battle without using a Lightsaber or using the Force. After this, they were married and Freedom was adopted as a Mandalorian.

Freedom Nadd, as far as I know, remains both a member of the Jedi Order and the Mandalorian Protectors. With that said...he isn't a true Mandalorian. He's a Jedi that is married to a Mandalorian and was taught by them.

http://starwars-exodus.wikia.com/wiki/Freedom_Nadd

Here is a picture of Nadd with his Mandalorian Armor and Lightsaber.

Last edited by Kodiak (Kevin Carlson) on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen people on both sides (501st/Mandalorian Merks and Rebel Legion) poo poo the idea of a Sith Mandalorian or a Jedi Mandalorian. I understand where they are coming from based on the cultures of all three. With that said, looking at the canon, the Mandalorians have been allies of both the Sith and the Jedi at various times and I personally think a Force Sensitive Mandalorian would be cool.

I am actually in the process of designing a set of armor to make a Mandalorian Force Sensitive. The overall costume will look very much Mandalorian but with some slight changes. The character would use both guns and a Lightsaber...or two (I haven't decided yet). My design will look a lot like the picture below but will either use blue or red instead of the gold(depending if I make him a light side or dark side Force Sensitive character). I also plan to make the lower robes continue up over the chest area so it will have tabards and an obi. With that said you will still be able to see the chest armor underneath.

It will take me a long time to make the costume, but I think it will look really awesome in the end. If it isn't allowed as an official costume, I don't really care. I can still wear it to events like CVI or Halloween or whatever. I will always love my Jedi outfit and the Anakin one I am working on...but I want something unique and special that is my own.

jonathansams (Jonathan Sams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
I love your idea, and that is exactly why I started this topic. I wanted to find out if there had ever been one, so I would have some basis on which to make a costume, formal or not. It will be a lot more basic than yours and more standardized, as I dont have a lot of money for anything too custom. I, like you will wear it to CVI possibly and locally when ever I can.
I have found 2 images of a Jedi/Mandalorian, Bardan Jusik. One image is from a LFL licensed card game that actually calls him a Mandalorian Jedi. The other is from a artist named Daennika from a site called Deviant Art.

http://daennika.deviantart.com/art/Jusik-Digipainting-69579088

http://www.skywlkr.net/IDC/expansions/downloads/lotf2/full%20set/set%20images/original/001-bardanjusika.jpg
[/img]
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it Freedon, not Freedom. While yes Nadds journey is mirrored by other Jedi, Mandos and such I really don't like the idea of clashing costumes. If ya wanna be a Jedi, be a Jedi. Don't start wearing a mando beskar'gam around with the saber because to be frank....the public at times has a hard enough time figuring out who we are. I'm not saying don't ever do it, I just wish people would leave Jedi costumes alone, and mando's and such. Jedi Generals and TOR Jedi are an example of cotumes that can meld. But as much as I love Etain and Bardan.....They left the order. While those Mandos respect cartain jedi they are not jedi anymore.

You can be both and by all means go do a photoshoot with the kit on, but when it comes to RL costumes.....I'd rather the classes be very easy to understand and follow. Just my thoughts.

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nickel (Nick Letcher)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the comics, Demagol tried to genetically engineer force-sensitives for the Mandalorians but his project ultimately failed.

Then, more recently, the comics show a group of rogue Jedi joining the Mandalorians and creating something similar to the Imperial Knights for the Mandalorians.

I haven't read either of these series, so I don't know much more than that.

Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two different characters. Freedon Nadd and Freedom Nadd. The prior was born like 4000 BBY and the later born 7 years ABY. Have no idea if there's any relation along the way. Freedon was a Sith Lord and has no ties to the Mandalorians at all.

As for making the costume an official RL costume or even joining the Mandalorian Merks or the 501st...it doesn't really matter to me if the costume isn't accepted. It's a picture I have seen for a while and the idea of a Force Sensitive Mandalorian or Bounty Hunter was something I always thought was cool.

I will still always have my Jedi costumes to wear for RL events and that won't change. I just want something that is unique and different and that still looks Star Wars but that nobody else has.

The overall design will still look like a standard Mandalorian...I just plan to make some tweaks and have a tabard like piece made that will drape like the on in the picture but also come up over the chest a bit and have an obi with a belt. That belt will hold the sabers but I will also get some leather straps and holsters to hang also so I can put a couple pistols on my sides.

Again, I hear ya. It's bad enough when a kid asks me if I am Obi-Wan because that's what my costume looks like (I am a generic Jedi). That's kind of why I am working on an Anakin costume as we speak. That way there's no confusion. With that said, I love the Force sensitive characters. They are my favorite in the SW universe. But...the coolest looking characters have armor. I want to kind of kill two birds with one stone.
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For things regarding costumes i belong to 2 schools .

1. Have a blast , be creative , enjoy your inspiration when needed

2.. When it comes to the rebel legion . the main costume line is that you need to have references. If you can find established sources of photos then go for it... \\

I do have to say i have nejoyed this thread it has been rather civil.... keep it up guys
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a comment about the sources....when it says you need 3 sources....but any written publication, even if a character is in more than one book its considered to to only be one source, If your character isnt in a movie, that really limits how you get the 3 sources. It seem that you have Movies, Written publications (including comics), and video games are really your only sources. Others?
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revan's story is something else entirely, but Revan was never a Mandalorian, just wore a Mandalorian's mask.

Different than the topic at hand.

Especially when you factor in how SWTOR itself handles Revan....

But I won't spoil.

Last edited by Drazhar () on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathansams wrote:
i have a comment about the sources....when it says you need 3 sources....but any written publication, even if a character is in more than one book its considered to to only be one source, If your character isnt in a movie, that really limits how you get the 3 sources. It seem that you have Movies, Written publications (including comics), and video games are really your only sources. Others?

Visual dictionaries, guides to the Force, anything that is official and licensed with pictures, really. And the costumes have to be a reasonable match between the three. But it has to be a LFL approved source, otherwise it does not count (and every pilot who still wants to be an approved Corran Horn wept).

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
jonathansams wrote:

Visual dictionaries, guides to the Force, anything that is official and licensed with pictures, really. And the costumes have to be a reasonable match between the three. But it has to be a LFL approved source, otherwise it does not count (and every pilot who still wants to be an approved Corran Horn wept).

Lisa,
I was told that any written reference, or picture, no matter how many different ones a character is in, is only considered to be only 1 source. Example: If a character is in 4 different novels, even if they are not in the same series, its only 1 source.
So you are saying if they are in novels that is one source, a visual dictionary could be a second, and a LFL licensed product, such as a TCG could be a Third. Is that what youre saying?
Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the more I look over that site, I don't believe that Freedom Nadd is actually a part of canon. He's not in the Wookieepedia. It looks like he's part of an alternate timeline...something called Star Wars Exodus. I don't know a lot about it. When I first found the character, I thought it was an entry in the Wookieepedia. I will have to do more research. Anyway, I still want to make a Force sensitive Mandalorian outfit.
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan- Yes, I do believe that's how it works- one of the LCJs can weigh in on how correct I am on that point. Rolling Eyes

Kodiak- You're also correct. A little bit of poking around shows that "Freedom Nadd" is part of the Star Wars: Exodus roleplaying game, which is a fan-run game. Which makes so much more sense than having a completely separate character from Freedon Nadd whose name is only one letter off, in the actual canon.

So, I love making up original characters as much as the next person, but fan characters and fan art really don't count. If I may point at my own Jedi costume, which is based on an original character, and has an informal designation. It's a good example of "do what you want, even if it won't be formal." I still enjoy it. Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: