About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=affdeed735a77c32371b9e8b5ebb4a72Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lightsaber opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robiwon ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the colors I am running on my one and only saber right now. These were taken in normal room lighting.

My straight up blue. Used twice in my saber.

Straight up red.

My version of sky blue. I was thinking of dialing in a little green to make a nice cyan.

This is a purple that looks real nice in person.

This is the yellow/green that is running under Rain Sizzle.

This is an orange I made. It is more orange in person though.

And finally my pink. It looks purple in the pic but it is very pink in person.

Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange is kinda cool

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZacMuleer ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all! I honestly didn't expect these sabers to look so.... amazing. Even in lighted rooms, I would have put money down some of them were photoshopped. Kudos to all.

I put in an order with TCCS and now have a question on those with experience: How are your feeling toward using the Ultrasabers' blades - specifically the UltraEDGE midgrade blade - with an MHS hilt (TCCS). I heard it's possible, but a tight fit and may require sanding.

Did anyone else use this setup? Was the sanding messy/cause any problems with the brightness of the saber?

Thanks, all!
TK 7586/Rebel Pilot (X-Wing)
Wife: a Juno-style pilot
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZacMuleer wrote:
Thanks, all! I honestly didn't expect these sabers to look so.... amazing. Even in lighted rooms, I would have put money down some of them were photoshopped. Kudos to all.

I put in an order with TCCS and now have a question on those with experience: How are your feeling toward using the Ultrasabers' blades - specifically the UltraEDGE midgrade blade - with an MHS hilt (TCCS). I heard it's possible, but a tight fit and may require sanding.

Did anyone else use this setup? Was the sanding messy/cause any problems with the brightness of the saber?

Thanks, all!

Depends on what color your saber is going to be, Ultraedge always washes out colors to be a bit more pastel. Works really nice with some colors, others you don't want to bother.
ZacMuleer ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just blue. Smile working on an obi-wan.
TK 7586/Rebel Pilot (X-Wing)
Wife: a Juno-style pilot
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZacMuleer wrote:
Just blue. Smile working on an obi-wan.

Why not just use the TCSS Trans white, it functions in much the same way, and you won't have to sand it down at all.

Just saying.
robiwon ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 1 inch trans white blade for Magister. However, I find myself using the 7/8 blade from Industrial Action more and more. The trans white is nice in the fact that the whole tube lights up out to the edge. The "clear blades" have a core effect. The trans white does not. I say it's a matter of taste. I will be getting a 7/8 trans white from Industrial Action to try out soon. Oh, and no photoshoppy in my pics.
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few of mine- this one was taken with a flash, so the blades don't quite pop as much as without it, but the orange still looks like it's putting out heat! It's Ultrasaber's pyrestone orange color:

This is my Ultrasabers Shock, in Guardian blue:

Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this question in another thread, but I thought I'd double my chances of getting some input - what are people's opinions re trooping w/ a stunt vs a saber w/ sound? Any ideas would be much appreciated Smile

ZachLovesStarWars (Zachary Messer)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddy Solo wrote:
I posted this question in another thread, but I thought I'd double my chances of getting some input - what are people's opinions re trooping w/ a stunt vs a saber w/ sound? Any ideas would be much appreciated Smile

I'm still a wannabe, but I'd definitely troop with a saber w/ sound.

On another note, I'm going to make my own Lightsaber and my favorite is Anakin EP III, so I'm going to with that style hilt and blade emitter shroud/blade holder. I want to put an Obi-Wan EP III style pommel on the end, but I think that wouldn't look right. Thoughts?
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the choice to use a saber with or without sound is up to the individual- some people feel that sound adds some real life to the saber and adds to the illusion. But there's some practical concerns- sound drains batteries faster- a consideration on longer troops. Sabers with sound are also expensive- in some cases, sound can almost double the cost of a build, or at least add a chunk of change to it. Some people might save money by opting for a stunt build with no soundboard, and that's okay too.
BedlamX (Tommy Sutton)
Dantooine Base CO
Dantooine Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pop in a bit late here. The new colored acrylic blades from TCSS are very nice for outside pics. I would have liked the green to be a bit deeper color, but it looks great even outside (although it still doesn't "glow" of course). I use the green LED (think I went P4, but really can't remember) and the green transparent blade and it looks very nice when lit up and decent even if the batteries go dead on me.

Sound is nice. But I find it a bit overrated since most times you will be seen in pics rather than in person. I just installed sound into my new saber and my wife's saber/saber-staff thing, but I just used the cheap boards out of the old build a saber kits. Had to make the hilts bigger to handle all the components, though. I doubt I'd add sound again if I ever build another one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: