Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6483fe894519d0df92d554f65189f264Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lightsaber opinions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZacMuleer ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Lightsaber opinions Reply with quote

OK, I know this is a totally loaded question. I've been around long enough to know that usuallt the "best" choice for something isn't for everyone - but I'd love to hear what people think and see some pictured examples of the following question. Believe me, I've looked and had trouble finding anything on this topic:

What lightsaber (or saber company) is best for taking pictures?

Obviously, we'd love to have a saber as close to the photoshopped versions of our pictures, but what's the closest you get to that? What kind of blade, etc?

Thanks, all! And feel free to post (non-photoshopped) pictures! Jedi
TK 7586/Rebel Pilot (X-Wing)
Wife: a Juno-style pilot
Hopfot (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does come down a number of factors. Bright sunny day, don't bother, nothing will light up well enough. You always want low-light / indoor when doing shots of a saber. Now since you are going for look and not durability, I've been told that EL sabers are the best way to go. And you always want fresh batteries. Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good success with white polycarbonate blades with celophane wrap inside. This saber is using a Rebel cyan led in a Custom sabershop hilt I designed and built.

This photo was taken indoors with no flash and no photoshop.

JediKai (Kate B)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, outdoors in bright sun or at night/indoors with flash, the solid fluorescent-colored acrylic rods light up as though they were electric. This one is from A-1 Plastics.

Hopfot (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering about the coloured rods. But would be awesome if I can get them in polly-carbonate, so I can use them dueling.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panda has a great working blade with the celophane. I'd also check out Makototsai sabers - Hong Kong uses them all the time - super bright (envious).

You can also connect to some of the Makoto videos for additional footage and more information.
jedichase ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when it comes to saber pictures flash is going to be your mortal enemy. Just about any decent LED saber will give a good lightsaber blade look.
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find hte Lux V , are very bright . I have been using mine for over 6 years withthe NYJ, with hours of use on it...it has handled well ..
darachim (Dane Braun)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could even try to use a white high power led with about 10 watts and a colored polic tube from customsabershop.
Best thing is, even if you re outside and the led is not powerful enough or batterie is runing out, you will still have a colored blade! Mr. Green

I can post some pictures if you re interessted! Wink
Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopfot wrote:
It does come down a number of factors. Bright sunny day, don't bother, nothing will light up well enough. You always want low-light / indoor when doing shots of a saber. Now since you are going for look and not durability, I've been told that EL sabers are the best way to go. And you always want fresh batteries. Wink
I hate to disagree, but EL is the worst thing you can use...even Parks no longer uses it. compared to the led string blades, and single, in-hilt led sabers available now, EL blades can't hold a candle to them.

pandatrooper wrote:
I've had good success with white polycarbonate blades with celophane wrap inside. This saber is using a Rebel cyan led in a Custom sabershop hilt I designed and built.

This photo was taken indoors with no flash and no photoshop.

This is a really good example what you can do yourself using the parts from The custom Saber Shop. As pandatrooper says, adding the clear plastic (cellophane) gift wrapping to the standard TCSS show blade is key to a well lit blade.

jedichase wrote:
when it comes to saber pictures flash is going to be your mortal enemy. Just about any decent LED saber will give a good lightsaber blade look.
This is correct.

Magnius wrote:
I find hte Lux V , are very bright . I have been using mine for over 6 years withthe NYJ, with hours of use on it...it has handled well ..
Also true, but unfortunately, the Luxeon V is difficult to come by these days, as it was discontinued by Luxeon two years ago. The alternative these days are either the Luxeon Rebels, Seoul P4's or Ledengin 5 and 10 watt led's. Those are the ones used most by the aftermarket saber builders i know, anyway.

Here's a few pictures from a recent troops that show some of the sabers I built for the local members (and my own Wink ):

The purple/violet blade is one I built using an RGB led from dealextreme. the blue one is a stock Hasbro Anakin FX.

These were all taken indoors in natural/low light/indoor lighting with flash.

This is the most recent lightsaber I finished:

Taken in broad daylight on my kitchen counter with all of the lights on as well. No flash.

Same saber in my basement with low light and daylight coming in from the escape window, again, no flash:

I guess my point is that the luxeon-type saber blades will photograph very well, even with a flash, as long as you are indoors or in low light conditions. Nearly all digital cameras I have seen will overexpose the blades and you get what looks like the same effect as seen in the films, a white core, with the colored halo.

As stated before, there are no led blades bright enough to actually see light up outside on a sunny day.....yet.

As far as places to look for a lightsaber prop, I would recommend looking here:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php
There are plenty of saber builders listed there in the GUILD section and the Mining Colony section that should be able to take care of your needs.

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZacMuleer ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy ****snacks. I'll be honest, if I didn't trust you guys, I'd think all those pictures were already photoshopped... That's exactly the kind of look I am going for.

Now to delve into TCSS research.... and to pick up a new skill in electronic work. Thanks!

Dan
TK 7586/Rebel Pilot (X-Wing)
Wife: a Juno-style pilot
Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have photoshop, and have no idea how to use it, so yeah, you can take those pictures at face value. If you need any assistance at TCSS, just go to the forums. I'm there as well, same user name.

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blkwolf ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my two cents

(TB/SL-7744) Be Truthful in all you do and seek out the light Always!
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again as many have stated depends on the LED or Bulb and lighting.....I see my Genesis saber way easier then a fx however

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Padawan Valon (Sam Tilden)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put a plug for Jay here...here is my baby BS-26, built by Jay, inside my room:

That is NOT photoshopped, and is running a Lux III Cyan (Bin 1) at about 1A, IIRC. Cyan is one of the brightest colors out there for LEDs, 2nd IMO only to green and even then it depends. And its only a 3 Watter, you could get a 5 or even 10W cyan and it would be even brighter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: