Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b6032f59fed527e996b056e294de464fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sleeveless ladies' tunic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very rarely do people stray from the traditional design elements with any success, but you have managed to pull it off beautifully. A perfect example of a unique design that is still absolutely Jedi.

Utterly gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.... I posted that late at night and didn't even notice the wrong base.

Schph Gochi wrote:
not being formal is really not a big thing...
you will enjoy wearing it to 99% of events that we do..
and people will have no trouble knowing that you are wearing a Jedi costume...

Very Happy

I'm not worried about the informallity of it Smile I could always add the tabbards later if I wanted to, but they're under the outer tunic so I didn't see a point in adding the extra layer, I made it for hot events anyways. And it's not like we get official Lucasfilms events here in Misery, anyway Wink

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you would never see the tops of the tabards you could always add them to the obi to hang down, kinda like the imperial knight tabards do.
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! Surprised

I am so jealous of your costuming skills! This is AMAZING! Truly an inspirational piece of work!
starfirephoenix (Alison)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! I love this style Smile
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granny-Wan wrote:
I'd love to know how to make those over the hand sleeves! They look awesome.

Oh, instead of patterning it in, I did a pretty simple, cheater method that was quite easy! I simply patterned my sleeve long enough to come to the beginning of my fingers, but when I seamed it, I stopped at the wrist, and then sewed about an inch at the bottom of the sleeve and then hemmed it. Then I put my sleeve on, stuck my thumb in the hole, and folded back the seam allowance until it gave my thumb enough clearance to move. Not much on the top, but you should curve it out halfway to the palm. I marked it, added in a bit of a seam allowance and trimmed, then rolled a narrow seam and finished. Just make sure to do it the same on both sides. Once I cut off the excess I used it as a template for the other sleeve.

Did that make any kind of sense? It doesn't always when I type at the end of the night Laughing

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Heh.... I posted that late at night and didn't even notice the wrong base.

Schph Gochi wrote:
not being formal is really not a big thing...
you will enjoy wearing it to 99% of events that we do..
and people will have no trouble knowing that you are wearing a Jedi costume...

Very Happy

I'm not worried about the informallity of it Smile I could always add the tabbards later if I wanted to, but they're under the outer tunic so I didn't see a point in adding the extra layer, I made it for hot events anyways. And it's not like we get official Lucasfilms events here in Misery, anyway Wink

Zazarus wrote:
Since you would never see the tops of the tabards you could always add them to the obi to hang down, kinda like the imperial knight tabards do.

I would love to see you get this to formal, Leia. As it is a beautiful and innovative costume that helps broaden our perspective on the Jedi, this costume has blazed a path for others to follow. Already I've seen this thread referenced in another, as your ideas spark creativity in all of us. Tabards can be as simple as a couple of long rectangles of cloth in the same colour as the outer tunic for approval, and, as you have said, as most troops are informal, you can always leave them off in hot weather. But having this costume approved formal is important to those who may wish to follow in your footsteps!

Great work, keep it up!
Fyr

Tython Base Facebook Page
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But sometimes a design just doesn't call for tabards, and nobody should have to add them if they don't want to. *shrugs* Formality is an issue in so few cases, I fully support her decision to stick the design she wanted.

If folks thinks it's criminal to let a costume of this quality be designated informal, then maybe it's the standards that need a looking at, and not the costume. But that could just be me. Wink

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
But sometimes a design just doesn't call for tabards, and nobody should have to add them if they don't want to. *shrugs* Formality is an issue in so few cases, I fully support her decision to stick the design she wanted.

If folks thinks it's criminal to let a costume of this quality be designated informal, then maybe it's the standards that need a looking at, and not the costume. But that could just be me. Wink

A few months ago I was looking for features that seemed to be the essence of Jedi, and tabards are one of the most iconic aspects of most Jedi costumes, whether they are the twin over the shoulder type or the front panels worn by Ahsoka and a few others. This costume is based on Ki Adi Mundi, and while it has been a subject of continual debate, he does have tabards that match his outer tunic and are under the short outer robe. So, I am sorry, but I would have to disagree with a need for standards to be updated in this case.

I am very new to the Legion, and at times I chafed against the standards and their necessity as I made my costume, however, looking back, I am very appreciative of how good my costume looks, partially because of the tweaking needed to meet those standards. I apologise if I sound argumentative, I certainly don't intend to, it just seems to me that if such a little tweak is needed to get it over the line, it would be sad to stop one step before the finish line on such a beautiful costume.

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I would disagree with you on tabards being so iconic, but then again, I like all the Really Old Republic weirdo Jedi. Razz Tabards? Schmabards.

The point about sticking to a design and not wanting them and being okay with informality still stands.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I agree that the tabards are a necessity in most Jedi costumes, but there are acceptions. Barriss Offee, for one. The reason I didn't include them is, Ki-Adi Mundi's actually match his INNER tunic. You only see them a little at the hem line if you LOOK for them. I don't even notice them in most photos because they blend in so well, making them rather pointless. I'd rather not fake them out, which I could by sewing some false tabbards into the waist seam of my inner robe, but I hate faking things, I always make every costume piece like an article of real clothing, but if I make full tabards underneath it would just add bulk I don't need for this warm-weather costume. Many of you know how big a stickler I am for accuracy, and the only things I let go are things I don't feel are neccessary, the tabards in this particular version, for one. One day, I may make some just to make this formal if I can find more of that fabric, but honestly I'm a bit bored with Jedi, and probably will be until I build myself a proper lightsaber.

Because I'm working on something MUCH more exciting this year Wink

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough! I also believe in doing things properly, and wouldn't have fake tabards, either.

I look forward to seeing your next project! Wink

Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Because I'm working on something MUCH more exciting this year Wink

Oooh, what are you working on?
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padme Meadow gown Smile

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Padme Meadow gown Smile

Oh man! That would be so amazing to wear! I can't wait to see your WIP!!! Amadalia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: