About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=84837f34f97cbfc32dfd4b5ab1594344Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Breha Organa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Well, it COULD be that I posted this not long after I woke up, or it could be that Elmer Fudd was giving you a compliment Wink

Oh I actually LOVE 'awazing'!
Never mind that Breha is Leia's mom. Or Bail's wife, or queen of Alderaan for that matter.
No, as I learned through discussions about this gown, Breha is apparently universally just known as "the woman with the Oh God sleeves'.
Therefore, the gown shall henceforth be known as the awazing sleeves gown. Well to me that is (and probably to many others who follow this thread).
You're probably not aware of this, but if we all just use that expression often enough and in many places, the generations after us will still know it as the awazing sleeves gown! Mr. Green
(Now who's suggesting to Maggie that the name MUST be changed on Padawansguide?)

Also, I venture a guess that quite a bit of the wording *I* use is considered awkward too - English isn't my first language, after all; but I'm always trying hard to improve Embarassed
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, did anyone ever notice that Breha's overdress has princess seams? Or rather that the 'front' part of the dress is three pieces - center and both sides?

You can see that best in the fourth of Freya's exhibit pics at Padawansguide; there's clearly a seam on the right side of her breast (the left side is covered by the veil). The bottom part of that side seam can be seen in the pictures that show the side of the skirt. The layout of the symbol pattern, particularly around the chest, is so clever that you can barely see that seam.
I find that endlessly interesting since I first thought that the pattern of that overdress had to be the same 'tent' shape without any seams at the front like Padmé's Episode 3 final purple Senate gown has. But it doesn't.

Also, and I'm not sure if I mentioned that before, but those oval symbols on her gown? On the upper two rows of the center front and the lower two rows of the side parts of her gown, the symbols are smaller than everywhere else on the dress. You can see that if you compare the size of the symbol where the 'key hole' opening at the neckline is to the other symbols *below* that key hole opening.

Anyway, I've developed a pattern for the center front and side front part from those symbols on the gown and carefully counting / drafting from the exhibit pics to a digitized, seamless version of the fabric with the symbols. Of course I had to "guess" in quite a few places where the dress is hidden by the veil and / or her arms; but that guessing combined with knowing what dress patterns generally look like works pretty well.
Here's what I came up with:

The missing center back and side parts can be made using the front parts; it's just that you'll have to flatten the 'bust' curve of the side parts if you do (to approximately the center of the symbol that the bust curve goes 'around'). Also remember that the center back must be split because there HAS to be a zipper.
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Naergi"]By the way, did anyone ever notice that Breha's overdress has princess seams? Or rather that the 'front' part of the dress is three pieces - center and both sides?

Yes!! Very Happy This costume has been on my list for quite some time, just not at the top right now (other projects to finish). In my research/planning, I went through some of my patterns to find one I could modify for the overdress, specifically one that had princess seams. I did find one, but have not had time to work with it yet.

Great work so far! Amadalia
Bespin Escape Leia (all finished except the pix!)
Breha Organa (Planning/acquiring materials; dye testing)
PadmeSkywalker (Carrie Christian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have princess seams in my gown Smile

As for the sleeve support--I do have wire that I need to stitch in there somewhere Confused I did not use stabilizer--but I did use a double layer of the fabric, which is a relatively "heavy" fabric. I also need to figure out how to add some of the sparkle that her gown has to my fabric--in certain light, it does have a bit of a sparkle to it, just not the right shade.

I will eventually finish this gown--it may not be until later this year, but I will finish everything I was unable to do before CVI Amadalia

Great Lakes Delegation Leader
RLGS PR Ambassador
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, here's something interesting concerning Breha's hairstyle.

On one of the historical costuming groups which I'm following, this website (and conclusively the video on said website) was posted:
http://www.livescience.com/26112-oldest-roman-hairstyle-recreated.html

Watch that video from beginning to end (and yes, it's long, but totally worth it!).
I bet that *latest* at around 14:30, when the edge of the suffibulum is folded back, you'll have a true Breha hairstyling moment (I already had it at about 8:29, when the structural vitta was wrapped).

In other words, the sini crenes is definitely the kind of hairstyle I want to wear with my Breha costume; and with my waist long hair, I can actually pull it off Mr. Green
I just have to modify the setup for the structural vitta and infula; but hey - with the decorative brooch on Breha's veil, even the fibula is present somehow, even if that brooch is much further down on the veil than the fibula on the Vestal hairdress.

Anyone agreeing that Breha's hairstyle and veil is probably based on the Vestal Virgin hairdo after seeing this video?

Did I mention my fabrics have arrived? The skirt / sleeves and overdress fabric, that is - still have to get some silk georgette for the veil, since I want to dye that together with the overskirt fabric. Silk chiffon just won't do IMHO, it's too flimsy and lightweight for that veil.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my fabrics and dyed the skirt/sleeves fabric to a medium blue shade (blend of navy and cobalt blue dye).
Then I started by painting the fabric to achieve the 'Aurora Borealis' look of the original fabric. For that, I thoroughly wet the fabric (since that allows the paint to spread easier), and then just started painting it with a foam brush and four different silk paint colors: Blue, red, green and lavender.

I know, it looks weird. But the silk paint IS spreading, and therefore that painted effect becomes WAY less obvious after the paint has spread on the wet fabric and the fabric has eventually dried.

Here are pictures I took after the fabric dried.
Left side of picture shows the fabric in daylight (which almost matches the skirt fabric's color from the official photos, which was taken under studio light); right side of picture shows the fabric being photographed using a flash.
Note that since the exhibit pictures of the fabric which show the Aurora Borealis effect were taken with a flash, I constantly have to check if the color is right by using the same method (flash-photographing it, that is).
Fabric that was photographed with a flash will always look quite a bit different from fabric that was taken without a flash; so if you need to match flash-photographed fabric colors, always check the color by, well, flash photographing it.
If you compare my 'right side' flash photo with the smaller picture of the original dress (which I photoshopped right between the two daylight and flash photos of my own fabric), you can see that I'm almost there in achieving that 'streaked', aurora borealis effect - I'll need to add some more green streaks (which will turn turquoise on the blue fabric). Click to enlarge:

I will now wet the fabric again, then add more green paint and after the fabric has dried, again, check if the effect on my fabric looks correct. But I think I'm definitely getting closer.

Oh, and I also ordered photosensitive stamp plates to make my own stamps for the symbols on the overdress.
I really tried to carve them (as stamps as well as as stencils...); but they're too delicate so I'll take the photosensitive stamp making route ;-)
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot more painting and making a pattern, my skirt now looks like this:

I still need to add a waistband (and lining of course).
I also received my photosensitive stamp plates. Since I need sunlight to actually make the stamps, I have so far postponed that part because, well, bad weather for *weeks*. Here's hope this will change soon.
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely effect on the skirt. Amadalia

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some progress!

As for the symbols on the dress, my initial plan was to make stamps (using photosensitive stamp material), and then print them to my fabric. However, that didn't work out because while the finished stamps work very well on paper, they are unable to absorb enough paint to stamp fabric properly.

So what I did was to buy a stencil burner (for airbrush stencils), sheets of Mylar (which is used for those stencils), use the template which I had already created for the stamps...

...burn the stencils out...

...and made a test print (on a scrap of fabric that I had left over from my Senate gown) to verify that the stencils work.
Note that this is really just a test, I tested various colors and thicknesses of paint - the paint that was too thin ran beneath the stencil and looks 'smeared' on this test scrap on the smaller symbol on the right side - but now I know which paint thickness to use for the actual printing.

Last edited by Naergi () on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice! I'm really impressed with the things you can do!

Mynocks deliver Babies
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning underskirt there! I love what you're doing with the painting and the iridescent effects.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Smile

This is what the overdress looked like when I had finished stamping the symbols:

Just because the intense sparkle of the costume doesn't photograph well, I also recorded a short video. Please excuse my shaky hands. They're always like that as the nerves in my hands are damaged, which is why 'hand sewing' and 'hand embroideries`just like 'recording videos' are particularly difficult for me.

Link

I was pretty horrified when I discovered (by comparing the photo of my dress to the original dress) that my dress pattern is wrong insofar as that the 'side' panels of the dress have to be shortened by 'one symbol' in order to exactly copy the look of the original dress.
It's not a difficult change to make - I just need to hem the sides one symbol "higher" than they are now - but I was SO sure that I had counted the symbols properly when making the pattern. Oh well.
Sothis ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is... incredible! Shocked Looks so beautiful with all those sparkles! Thanks for sharing with us!
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: