About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=63dc355c346b570982cd96f7b8a30948Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Breha Organa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotF (Cathy Bowden)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the gown coming? I can't wait to see it.
John 3:16
Bespin Base
PadmeSkywalker (Carrie Christian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotF wrote:
How's the gown coming? I can't wait to see it.

I am waiting on my brocade fabric to arrive...hopefully it will be soon, or I don't know what I will do Bang Head I had to go with a slightly different patterned fabric because of funds Sad but I did find a perfect fabric for the under-gown portion Amadalia I will post when things start coming along!!
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see your progress. This costume is also on my list.
It's a very long list. Sigh....
PadmeSkywalker (Carrie Christian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would update this thread since it has been so long. I finished most of the gown before I wore it at CVI. However, I do still have a few things to update/change before I officially submit it for approval. Here is a pic that a friend took for me at the convention. As you can see, there still are a few things that I need to fix/finish before it is officially complete Amadalia

Great Lakes Delegation Leader
RLGS PR Ambassador
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far!

Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish that pic was bigger. Razz
There is some color chances as far as I can see, but it's too small for much else. Look forward to seeing the finished result. Smile

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before I'm starting my Breha, here's my attempt on the darn sleeve pattern (click to enlarge):

I did it the best I could, taking all seams and grainlines of the fabric that are visible in the exhibit pics into consideration. Feel free to test it by printing it on paper and glueing that together Wink
In case you need to resize it to your own size, I would recommend starting by taking your underarm circumference, adding an inch for comfortability, then measuring that place in the pattern, comparing the pattern size and your underarm size (percentage wise), and enlarging the pattern for printing accordingly.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *think* I may have found my Breha fabrics!

After Spoonflower printing and 'glittering' didn't work the way I wanted to, I stumbled upon two other fabrics.

The first is an off-white wool / silk / lurex blend with an almost linen-like appearance (thread thickness wise) and therefore perfect for the skirt and sleeves (of which the fabric definitely does have some wool fiber content - look at all the tiny 'hairs' standing up from the fabric in closeups of the exhibited costume!). The lurex is golden and really pretty in the fabric; not at all 'lametta' looking.
I already did a dye test with a swatch, and it dyes beautifully. When I dye the actual fabric I can dye the scarf / veil silk chiffon at the same time and will have a perfect match.

The second is a wool / Lurex / PA blend with a much finer weave than the first; therefore will work well for the overdress.
Unfortunately it's brown; but I already tested that it CAN be bleached to some extend, taking up a light brown / sand color.
Now if I reserve that 'celtic knot' pattern on the bleached fabric with wax and dye it blueish afterwards it should turn out the way I want it to - still need to test that, though; but am not worrying much about it not working.

Since I so far am only experimenting with swatches of those two fabrics and since my dye / bleach tests went well, I'm going to definitely order them Mr. Green
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good find. I'll be interested to see it progress.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelSenator wrote:
Sounds like a good find. I'll be interested to see it progress.

Me too! Mr. Green

Here's a picture of my test dyed swatch (and yes, I dyed my fingers too...) compared to the original sleeve fabric. Note the 'fuzz / hairs' on the left side of the original sleeve and the very same effect on the right side of my test dyed swatch.

I'll still have to figure out how to get the purplish / greenish effect, but I think I can dye that into the fabric by basically randomly dripping turquoise / purple steam setting silk paint onto the wrong side of the fabric (from where it will seep through the fabric along the threads to the right side of the fabric), then heat-setting that in the oven (microwave setting won't work because of the lurex content).

Maybe I'll do a mockup of the sleeves tomorrow to see if my pattern doesn't just theoretically work.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I can't sleep so I made a quick paper-only mockup. Which basically means I printed my pattern out and just pinned those paper pattern pieces together.

While it's still definitely lacking some shape, I think it doesn't look too bad. Maybe I'll have to shorten the 'upper' part; but I'll first test if that slightly 'longer' look of said upper part won't change as soon as there's boning and heavy stabilizer in it, which I presume it will (start to curve even more towards the outside and therefore become shorter, that is).

Note to whoever plans to make that dress.... add HUGE amounts of heavy stabilizer (like what's used for bags - Decovil by Vilene, for example!) and at *least* rigilene boning, better steel boning (wires from *large* sized underwire bras may work as well Wink ) to your list of materials to buy.
Both (heavy stabilizer and boning!) were used on the original sleeves as well:
- The stabilizer can be seen in one of the 'making of' pictures on Padawansguide (white "strips" sleeve on mannequin!);
- the boning can be seen if you peek through the strips on the sleeve closeups from the exhibit - the 'ends' of the boning are covered with threads; showing as some kind of 'thread nubs' on the insides of the strips.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that test swatch is awazing, I'm so excited to see this!

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever tried to Air-brush Silk paints before? Might be worth giving it a test.

Looks awesome though.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Wow, that test swatch is awazing, I'm so excited to see this!

Amazing + awesome = awazing. MUST add that to my dictionary! Laughing
Thank you! It'll be a week or so before I can actually order the fabric (must get funds first; it's not cheap...); but after that I'll definitely start on this dress.

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Have you ever tried to Air-brush Silk paints before? Might be worth giving it a test.

I did that before, actually; but that's not what I need for this fabric. The purplush / peacock accents in the fabric, if you look at the exhibit pictures of the sleeve in particular, look almost like 'swirls' - I call that look 'oil swirls' because it almost looks like the "rainbowish" swirls gasoline/oil creates in a water puddle.
So I'll use diluted silk paint, a medium brush and randomly 'swirl' the left side of the fabric to see if that gives a nice, barely-noticeable-but-still-there result on the right side. If not... I'll try with even more diluted paint on the right side.
Came up with that solution last night; may give better results than the 'dripping' of the paint which I first considered.

Quote:
Looks awesome though.

Thank you :-)
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it COULD be that I posted this not long after I woke up, or it could be that Elmer Fudd was giving you a compliment Wink

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: