About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=36569d83a90e8bc6f80c6579d6668d8aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Technique Tutorial and Discussion folder
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> TUTORIALS -> Tools and Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Technique Tutorial and Discussion folder Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this for awhile, what if we had a sub-forum specifically for discussing sewing and prop-building techniques, where we can all contribute more informative information on actual techniques such as different forms of hemming or seam finishing, things of that nature? We can compile some of the good definitions with picture tutorials (maybe have a photobucket set up so we don't have to worry about broken links) into stickies. If people want to submit definitions and pictures in small amounts it won't fall on any one person's shoulders to write all the tutorials but have it submission based like standards are. Opinions? We have all kinds of advice for constructing, but nothing (easy to find) for going over things like blind hem stitching (which is the proper way to finish a Jedi tunic hem, for example)

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested to hear more of your ideas, and maybesuggestions as to where you think we should set something like this up at?

I will sleep on this... and bring it up to the council as to how we can move forward on this.

Bob
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe as a sub-folder inside the tutorials folder? I think trying to throw technique in with the more costume-build specific tutorials would get lost... one section helps with the building blocks, the other part tells you how to use them.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Maybe as a sub-folder inside the tutorials folder? I think trying to throw technique in with the more costume-build specific tutorials would get lost... one section helps with the building blocks, the other part tells you how to use them.

I think this is a great idea. There are many tutorials out in the other costuming threads that counld be linked back to a "Master list" if you will that could show some of the finer skills.

Now are we just talking about sewing or all forms of costuming skills.

Painting
Mold making
Welding
Leather working

really the list is endless... so we would need a solid plan.

One could even have multiple Sub-forums to cover all clases of costume. That way things like "Stitch in the ditch" does not get lost in the forums holding leather working terms.

Thoughts?

Bob
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the fence - because basic sewing techniques are something you can search for online pretty easily. I guess it couldn't kill us, but I hate to see anyone feeling obligated to recreate the wheel here if you know what I mean.

I think any technique discussion for specific costumes can still fall under our general forums for that costume. Let's say I'm not understanding how to flatline my Picnic corset, I'd just post in the Senatorial forum and see if any gals could offer advise. Or if I'm a Jedi and I don't get how to do an invisible blind hem on my robe... I'd post there. (Something tells me though, people either already know about blind hemming or they don't. And if someone wants to hint this is a good way to finish off a Jedi robe I think they should be adding it to their Jedi Robe tutorial for example... lol!)

But if you want to add some sewing tutorials (or links) as part of our current tutorial section. Title the folder somehting like Sewing techniques I guess and put it near the other techniques folder?

I'd like to see a sort of preface statement on the threads though letting people know that

a) There are many video, written, and photo tutorials online for basic sewing techniques. (just use a search engine and type the technique you are looking for).

b) Books (either purchased or at the library) are a wonderful resource for step by step photo tutorials. (I'm happy to compile a list of my favorite books and what they are good for - seems I get a few PMs e-mails a year asking me for instructions on how to do basic things and I just tell them to get book X because that's where I learned it from.)

c) Nothing beats taking a class at a local fabric or sewing machine store

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think things get lost in the forums a bit when you talk about tutorials. There may be a tutorial on how to sew a pair of pants in the Fringe, but someone making a Luke will never find it.

I do not think we are asking people to re-invent the wheel simple because these are tutorials... not standards. It will be for people who want to know more... it's not a requirement.

Many great costuming tips can span from one costume to another... its my number 1 issue with the tutorial system we have for each individual costume area. We really should be bringing it all together in one spot anyway to help other costume catagories as well. Still have the individual costume threads for tutorials, just a better system to bring in the tutorials of use to other costumes into one place.

I think this idea has merit and should be looked into more!

Bob
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like I said, it can't hurt anything to make a forum - it's just my suggestion that if someone is that much of a newbie to sewing that we offer some basic book suggestions, links to existing online tutorials etc.

My point is more, why create an entire tutorial on pant making (that's a lot of work) when there are books and web sites that cover this. So link to them and give the book references that also can help a newbie.

Whatever you want to do is fine really. I'm just expressing my feelings from the point of view of someone who does sew, learned it all from books and online sewing tutorials that are even more abundant now than they were 10 years ago. Wink

*Edit* - I guess my other concern is that I'm thinking about the big picture and communicating info to the people who need it for a specific costume to improve their results... I'm thinking in terms of 'hum, maybe Vera is wanting to offer this basic sewing tutorial advise because she feels badly for the people who *could* have professional looking results on a Jedi robe if only they knew how to do some basic things like bind hems as seen on Obi-Wan's Ep 1-3 robe.' I think the only way people are going to know to do a blind hem on their Jedi robe is if it's *also* part of someone's Jedi robe tutorial. Wink

That's not to say we can't have a general sewing tips forum/threads. But if we are looking to improve over all quality of specific costume people make, these tips should be in the specific costume tutorial so not to be overlooked.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the hem stitch would be a great addition to the Jedi tutorial section... however it would also be great to add it to a main line forum of tutorials for other costumes that may need it.

Example of actual scenario.

I made a tutorial on how to cast a Rank Badge for Han solo. http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37596

This same tutorial I added into a build thread on how to make another item.
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33032

That original tutorial was meant for a specific item, but I dea behind the tutorial could be used for anything as far as casting goes. This same example could be used for that hem stitch. If placed only in the jedi forums it would never be found by anyone outside of the Jedi group.

For this reason alone I think a "Master list" of tutorials for basic tutorials is a great idea. There is no reason why we cannot have the same tutorial in more than one place.

Linking online tutorials is a great idea, and we have done so as well in the Fringe where we can... Example...
10. If I wanted to learn more about working with leather... where would I start?
A. I would recomend going to your local Tandy Leather or visit their website... which is very informative! The ABC's of Leather Craft pages 1-5

I really am pro tutorials, the more the merrier... and they do not need to be anything more than a link to a place that shows you how to do it.

Bob
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - I can see a sewing technique section being one that is in addition to the Tools and techniques forum which seems to be focuses on casting and hard parts.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=115

BTW - I just caught that the above forums settings are not visible to public Sad So they are not being seen by people not logged into our forums. That should be adjusted to public view the way that the other tutorials are set to public view. I'd do it now, but I'm only checking this forum during breaks in cutting/sewing (LOL!)

Now back to cutting my bustle out.... while I refer to online tutorials for said bustle (ROTF!)

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I fixed that forum... thanks for pointing it out.
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, Vera. Get with Mark (LMO) on the specifics. Once the two of you have hammered it out, give us an outline of what you've come up with.

Something like this wouldn't hurt to have on our forums, by any means. In the end . . . If people use it . . . great! If not? Their loss.

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay_Dee wrote:

I think the only way people are going to know to do a blind hem on their Jedi robe is if it's *also* part of someone's Jedi robe tutorial. Wink .

That's kind of why I was thinking of a general tips area, because what's to say someone building a robe is going to stumble onto the one robe-building thread that has the tip in it? I'm not very good at looking at the outside perspective on what tips are actually helpful and I know some people take the time to learn while others just do enough to try and get approval. And I agree, things like a pants making tutorial would be overkill unless someone wanted to do it, I just mean for some techniques. Proper seam finishing might not occur to some newbies and it could be linked in several different tutorials. And, it's amazing how vague instructions can seem to a newbie, such as "Next, prime and paint your resin blaster". Maybe someone could write on the proper way to paint something that the tutorials don't tell you, like sanding (the instructions say 'sand' but don't say how much. I don't paint, so I don't know. See?) So any tutorial that was on prop building could include a master link to the painting section.

At the least, a master list could be posted, someone could post "Hey, I found this great tutorial on ____" and we could throw a link on the main page on that section.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Example of actual scenario.

I made a tutorial on how to cast a Rank Badge for Han solo. http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37596

This same tutorial I added into a build thread on how to make another item.
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33032

That original tutorial was meant for a specific item, but I dea behind the tutorial could be used for anything as far as casting goes. This same example could be used for that hem stitch. If placed only in the jedi forums it would never be found by anyone outside of the Jedi group.

Heh, exactly, I didn't know about that thread and I reeeeally want to learn more about casting

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been mulling this idea over the past few days and really love the idea. I did my research in sewing my last costume, and it turned out well. But having a resource to ask questions of and a central place to go will yet again point to the RL as being not only the premier light side costume group, but costume resource group. Reading on the boards as people ask "what 'darts' are" and such tells me there is a need. I'd also like to see information put out there on simple things that you can get mixed answers for online - for example, in working with bondo, I got a fiberglass mask only to discover it was for wall type pink fiberglass rather than bondo fiberglass. ::sniff sniff::

Needless to say, I think this is a great idea. With someone of Vera's experience to go to, anyone attempting to sew their own costumes or needing construction advice would be well served.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... for this I am going to be moving this over to the tutorial section where it will eventually be placed for all to follow.

Then lets get to wok on this. Lets start by creating a "Wish list" of tutorials that we would like to see completed. These tutorials can be created by a member... or as simple as a link to a known tutorial online that explains in detail as "Ho too".

I think we should break it down into catagories so things do not get lost.

I am willing to work with anyone who want to help on this so feel free to jump in with information and suggestions.

Vera,

This was your idea... so I want to stay true to the idea... so let me know if I stray off course with it.

Wish list

Sewing techniques

Prop techniques
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> TUTORIALS -> Tools and Techniques All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: