Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c75045b35f657fea33aa94d81d1c69f1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ki mundi adi question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: ki mundi adi question? Reply with quote

Hi guys
Taking the plunge and starting my research into doing a jedi costume and since i troop with a Commander bacara i thought i would do a ki mundi adi costume. I love the character and can't wait to get started.

Just a few quick questions about ki mundi adi

First of all does anyone know where i might find a mask or someone who does a good one?

Secondly does anyone have any leads on the boots?

Thanks
Ashley
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I'm not aware that we have a Ki Adi Mundi costume in the Rebel Legion (but I know if I am wrong, someone will chime in, lol).

Mundi's costume is rather unique, there's prosthetics on the head, facial hair, a unique outer tunic and the boots. I love this character and have been encouraged to do one myself, but I'm not at the level yet to sculpt organic facial prostheses (perhaps in the future).

Also, there's no costume standard for this costume. You might consider developing a costume standards for Ki Adi Mundi. There's a thread that tells you how.

I realize I didn't offer any information for your build. However, when you get to working on the fabric or other components and need help, let me know. I've made a few Jedi costumes over the past couple of years Wink
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Post had made a Ki-Adi-Mundi mask a while back, but, of course, they're not made anymore, so finding one would be a challenge. I've never seen one in person but from the pictures I've seen online they look pretty good. But I can't say that for certain.

Good luck with the outfit, though. It should be a neat one. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tag Aldeggon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ki-Adi-Mundi is definitely one of the coolest Jedi around, but as has been noted, the mask and prosthetics are very complex looking. I look forward to seeing you pull this off though; there are only a few members with this costume and most are pretty basic. I look forward to seeing what you pull off!

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a ki mundi mask out there made by don post i think but finding one of those is going to be next to impossible since it was made over ten years ago and in small numbers. So that leaves me with no choice but to have a mask made and to be honest i don't know where to find someone who does that sort of thing

Would also need hands done as well since they are not human hands.

Any help would be great.

I have a few people i think i can ask to do the soft parts and the wired bag thing looks to be leather so i think i might ask a friend of mine to take a look as he is great with leather.

Boots are a problem as they look like nothing i have ever seen before. Sort of soft medieval in nature like something robin hood would wear but with buckles although i'm not sure if that is only for episode 1.

Now to rewatch episode 1, 2 and 3 to get some refs for some of the parts.
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contacted a few people about the mask and just sent of a whole host of pictures to her but i am determined to do this costume as there is bound to be someone out there who can make the mask.

Just another few quick questions:

The light sabre. I have seen a few around all sold unfortunately and was wondering if any could recommend a saber maker.

Does anyone by any chance have a copy of Dressing a galaxy as i am curious if Ki Adi Mundi appears in the book.

Again Thanks for the help and fingers crossed this thread can turn from me asking questions into a build thread.
Suzijedi (Suzanne Stelling)
LCJ Support Staff
LCJ Support Staff

Medals: 13 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley- speak to Beth (sumbe foret) about the hands. She made her Plo Koon hands, so she may be able to offer advice.

I know some of our guys use JQ Sabres, based in the UK (there's a link to them on the RLUK website, on the 'useful links' page). Dave (dave380) knows them. Thumbs up

boushh
501st UK Garrison #4696 (retired)
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise.

Just another quick question:

What material do you think Ki Mundi's boots are made out of?

Thanks
Tag Aldeggon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just a soft suede-like leather.

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one Ki-Adi Mundi in the Legion: Cubist
I'm pretty sure he used the DP mask that has been mentioned. I'm not sure but I think that Rubies might have re-issued (they bought a lot of Don Post's molds when they became the sole costuming licensee back in 2000).

Bear in mind its a regular latex mask (RD-407) so it won't move much. In other words, it won't look like a "real" Ki-Adi Mundi, just a guy wearing a Ki-Adi Mundi mask. You could modify it, however...
Somewhere in our membership database we have a Kit Fisto costumer that heavily modified the Rubies Kit Fisto mask by cutting out the mouth and chin, then thinning the edges into a good "blending edge" and painting his face to match. You could try this approach with the Ki-Adi mask.
Bear in mind that since 407 latex is such a hard rubber you will have to cut a lot of the mask off in order to make it possible to move your face. You'll probably have to rebuild your own fake beard and apply it each time you wear it.

You could also build your own custom mask/appliance in silicone (or have someone else do it for you). If it is sculpted over your own lifecast and cast in a soft silicone rubber like DragonSkin, EcoFlex, or Gel-10 it could be built as life-like mask similar to those offered RealFlesh masks. If you decide to go this route I highly recommend getting Neil Gorton's "Creating Character Prosthetics in Silicone DVD set.

Full Disclosure: I haven't made any prosthetic appliances before, just masks (Chewie). I'm just trying to point you in the right direction basd on my limited exprience. If you decide to go this route get the advice of someone more experienced like those on The Effects Lab.

If you decide you want to hire someone to do it for you, The Effects Lab is a good place to start, as is the RPF.
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the route i am going down. I have seen a few of the don post masks in pictures and i just don't like them.
I have asked a friend and she is willing to give the mask a go. Still early days and my thoughts are of a sort of chin less mask that goes down the back of the neck and onto the cheeks but leaves the mouth, chin and throat bare. The beard and moustache would cover anything and allow me to speak without it looking odd as it would with the don post mask.

Thanks for the help and i appreciate it since there is not a whole lot of information out there regarding Ki-adi-mundi.
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a Don Post Ki-Adi-Mundi mask came up on ebay for the right price and i bought it. Today it arrived and i am quite happy with the mask.

First off here are some pictures of the mask straight out of the box.

Now my first thoughts on the mask.
Having now seen and felt the mask i can say that it is honestly a lot better than i thought it would be. The main problem is that i will still need to cut away the mouth area simply so i can talk and breathe since the mouth slit that is there is rather stupid as it doesn't really let any air out. The hair is junk and will need to remove all of that as well as the glue that was used to stick it down.

Now for the pictures of me wearing it:

It's usable but is going to need some modifications
Suzijedi (Suzanne Stelling)
LCJ Support Staff
LCJ Support Staff

Medals: 13 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 3)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look too bad at all!

As mentioned previously, speak to Beth (sumbe foret) about the mask too- she patched up her Plo Koon head and did a fantastic job at it. She'll be able to advise you on what she used Thumbs up

boushh
501st UK Garrison #4696 (retired)
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boots have arrived. Just need to remove the zip and replace it with laces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: