About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0357128f6bb5644b71f78a3a9b91822eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Yavin Honor Guard question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landeaux (Paul Land)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Yavin Honor Guard question Reply with quote

Will this jacket and pants work for the Yavin Honor guard? Also would moving the visor on a Studio Creation helmet(as in photo) be acceptable?

Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In The Making of Star Wars, costume designer John Mollo says:

"two hundred US Marine olive-green stand ups, which we left well in the background because they had buttons on them."

Note the "stand up" collar, no lapels.

Here I have a part of still from the movie against an actual WW 1 USMC uniform. The radial seams fron the [stand up] collar to the pockets are a distinctive design feature, along with the different size buttons on the front and pocket flaps. The pleated pockets are not found on the US Army version.

Note that the screen used item is a lighter weight fabric, and the radial seams are not an exact match. I am searching for a "summer" or lightweight example to see if there is a match.

http://www.swtroopers.com/reb_costumes_rhg.htm states that one of the extras claims it to be a British uniform, but every example I can find has a fold-down collar. We may never actually know.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a while back...
we started a discussion thread on this costume...

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19354

and..

as Greg notes...
nothing was definitive...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Landeaux (Paul Land)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious to see if it would pass muster as I thought it might be similar enough to the ones that had been approved. I have already been planning on redoing the pockets flaps so they come to a point. I'm not sure about the collar as tailoring & sewing is not a skill of mine.
Kal Jericho ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think that will work for the helmet. As seen here:

Windshield completly down no acrylic seen on forehead. And the uniform...is it from the photos or is that really the colour ? For the Honour Guards if this is the right colour maybe its a bit to dark...

For a Yavin Officer (the pic that was posted with the cap)..it might be better.

Wink

By the way i will be updating sometime in the future with a helmet from the UK.
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color will be the same, as the uniforms were rented in bulk from the costume supply.

So far, collectively we have not been able to positively ID the Nation/Service of the uniform. Mollo says they are US Marines but every photo I can find shows the USMC in a brown wool material, and the radial seams do not hit the midlle of the pocket. I can find US Army from the same period in a greenish material with matching seams, but they all have non-pleated pockets (just a simple patch with a flap).

They did find 200 of these things in boxes left over form WW I, so that really eliminates "custom tailored"; many officers had uniforms made locally out of higher quality material than issue but that would have been in one's and two's, not in the hundreds.

The search continues....
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the US marines in WWI entyered the war in their own M-1914 uniform in 'forest green' wool.
It was their own version of the Army 'stand up collar' M-1910 uniform, that was officially Olive drab - actually a light brown.

The USMC uniform was in another colour, had different pockets, 'french'/'polish'/'Marines' pointed cuffs over the sleeves, and dark bronze buttons and fittings for the globe-and-anchor insigna.
They also had special equipment, basically the same of the Army, but in green instead of khaki canvas.

But, the USMC sended only two regiments in France - attached to US Army units.
So, when the uniforms the Marines had with them or in stock in their own small depots were worn out, they got the army brown uniforms and equipment.
So in the wartime photos, the marines had a motley mix of green and brown attires: both pre-war and simplified 'wartime' uniforms with plain pockets.
WWI forest green uniforms are very sought after by collectors, as the Marines didn't liked the 'poo-doo' army colour, and used their own reserve of uniform as far as they can, razing down their own stock and pushing thorugh the logistic nightmare as much of their own uniforms to France.
Rare enough that someone marketed a COPY for reenactors.

Honestly, that a british depot in 1977 had in store hundreds of rare WWI uniform is a bit bizzarre. Non impossible, but quite strange.

I may think that the British army still used what they called 'khaki' stand-up collar jackets for formal events.
Seems a better path to investigate.

Rebel Frequent Flyer: 81.230 Km (50,576 mi.) for SW conventions - and counting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: