About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bec4f3bcb5d17f978b953bc7ec2c52fbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jobal Naberrie
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotF (Cathy Bowden)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Jobal Naberrie Reply with quote

I am getting ready to start my new costume, Jobal Naberrie. I have just a couple of questions please.

1. On the top bodice, I want to use View F but not lace the bottom so the required point is done. I can not tell from any of the photos or movie pauses if there is a front seam. Opinions?

2. Depending on where you look, the dress is either blue or purple. Can I get a second opinion please? I believe it is purple, but the underskirt looks mauve.

Appreciate any help on this, just need advice since this character has never been done (that I can find) and I don't want to spend a lot of money and it not be right for acceptance (since I'll be writing the tutorial also.)

I have two of the three required pictures (trying to clean up the picture I took off the CD of the details on the bodice) at this link https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150990531039496.440310.782184495&type=3&l=e075855db2

Was hoping someone had the "Dressing the Galaxy," I believe there are other pictures of this gown.
John 3:16
Bespin Base
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember seeing pics of this in DAG, but judging from your pics I'd say the overdress is a dark, dusty blue with perhaps some red tones in it. However dark, dusty blue is probably the way I would go if I were to make it.

Haven't studied this before, so can only give you an opinion.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Jobal Naberrie Reply with quote

MotF wrote:
1. On the top bodice, I want to use View F but not lace the bottom so the required point is done. I can not tell from any of the photos or movie pauses if there is a front seam. Opinions?

If you level the pictures of the dress in an image editing software, this is the result (click to enlarge):

See, there's this imprinted or burned out practically 'striped' pattern in the velvet; loosely resembling the Naboo symbol (actually, it looks like a combination of several Naboo symbols, resembling a 'tree' or 'twig'). Said stripe pattern is broken on the seams that go over the bust, hence my assumption that the pattern was imprinted / burned out not according to the pattern pieces but along the fabric's selvages.
If you now look at the center front very closely, you will see that the 'stripe' of imprinted / burned out patterns is way more narrow in *just* that place than anywhere else; which would probably be a result of a seam going down right there at the center front.
Also, if you look at the side view, there seems to be a slight change in the nap color of the velvet towards the front bottom of the vest at the center, indicating that two pieces of velvet with slightly different nap are joined right there.
So IMHO yes, there's a seam at the center front.

Quote:
2. Depending on where you look, the dress is either blue or purple. Can I get a second opinion please? I believe it is purple, but the underskirt looks mauve.

The 'vest' part seems to be a dark blueish purple (bordering to navy blue) silk velvet, with the burnout or imprinted symbols.
The 'blouse' part seems to be a lavender purple (with a tendency to being more red than blue; it's a mix between dusty pink and lavender) silk georgette (but it's basically too stiff for that, even WITH the gazillion pintucks in the sleeves - maybe add another layer of non-pintucked organza beneath that?). It could also be a VERY fine linen, which 'behaves' in a similar way when draped.
The upper skirt seems to be a dark silvery grey damask or brocade. The draping of that fabric indicates that it's either very stiff or has a very stiff interfacing ironed to it. Also, that skirt is made from basic triangles; you can almost 'see' them the way the fabric behaves (and actually, you can see the side seams).
The underskirt is almost the same color as the blouse, just a *bit* lighter and a tad more pinkish.
(That's at least what *I* see; of course I may be wrong!).

Quote:
Was hoping someone had the "Dressing the Galaxy," I believe there are other pictures of this gown.

There's at least one hi-rez picture of it here.

Hope that helps! Smile

Last edited by Naergi () on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because I enjoy doing vector graphics, here's a quick impression of what I think the imprinted / burned out symbol looks like. As I already said, it's IMHO some kind of stylized Naboo symbol:

MotF (Cathy Bowden)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS so much. I saw the symbol in the bodice too and appreciate you doing a graphic for me. I'm glad there is a tutorial for burn out on velvet.

That is why I was asking about the colors, because on the DVD deleted scenes it looks like a deep purple/ with mauve

Does the skirt design matter, you think for acceptance?

I'm going to give it a try <G> The worse that could happen is it is not accepted ... but, I have a pretty gown to wear anyway.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be back with questions. I'm doing a mock top this weekend.
Bespin Base
MotF (Cathy Bowden)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question. So I should burn out the material first before sewing or after sewing it?

Thanks
Bespin Base
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotF wrote:
THANKS so much. I saw the symbol in the bodice too and appreciate you doing a graphic for me. I'm glad there is a tutorial for burn out on velvet.

I have a tutorial for doing so on my website as well, in case you're interested.
Quote:
That is why I was asking about the colors, because on the DVD deleted scenes it looks like a deep purple/ with mauve

Generally, studio photos are almost always a better choice for matching colors because movie scenes are often edited for color (to achieve a certain mood by color changes which sometimes aren't possible to achieve with natural light).
Best choice would of course be exhibit photos taken with and without flash. Unfortunately for this costume we don't seem to have that option.
Quote:
Does the skirt design matter, you think for acceptance?

I'm not a costume judge, but I think as long as you stick to a design that's remotely similar (the original fabric seems to be some kind of abstract/geometric design - so 'floral vines' are probably the wrong kind of design...), there shouldn't be too much of a problem.
MotF wrote:
Question. So I should burn out the material first before sewing or after sewing it?

After pre-washing the fabric and before dyeing, cutting and sewing the fabric; for a variety of reasons.
First, pre-wash to pre-shrink the silk velvet. Use a silk washing detergent or a MILD (=baby!) hair shampoo to do so.
Silk / rayon velvet CAN be washed and dyed in the washing machine without problems. You should just tumble dry it after you're finished with washing and dyeing, just so the 'plush' appearance is restored.

Second, burn out your design on the undyed, pre-washed (and dried!) silk / rayon velvet. It shouldn't yet be dyed because if it's still white, it's easier to place a printed version of the template for the design beneath it - the 'black on white' template will show through the considerably sheer natural colored silk/rayon velvet.

Also of course the velvet should LIE FLAT ON AN EVEN SURFACE when the burnout fluid is applied, and should be allowed to dry in that position before ironing it.
I guarantee that if you try to burn out an already sewn-up vest, you'll face HUGE problems with running or smeared burnout chemicals.

And just in case, burn out about 50% MORE fabric than you expect to use for the vest. That's just because in case something goes wrong during the burnout process (occasionally the burnout fluid likes to 'eat up' some silk backing fibers too; resulting in not-so-neat holes!), you still have enough burned out fabric.

When you've finished the burnout process, dye the fabric. No need to wash it first to remove the remains of the burnout chemicals (or the pile - that will remove itself during the dyeing process).
As I already said... you can dye it in the washing machine. Afterwards, tumble dry to restore the plush.

The dye- and tumbling processes will also show any kind of possible weak spots in the burnout areas (aka 'not so neat holes'). So you can cut around those when finally cutting the fabric. That's why I said to burn out more than you need.

Then sew.

In case you have much fabric left in the end... consider making a matching handbag Wink
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen that fabric in person yet (and therefore can neither judge the size of the ribs nor the drape of the fabric!), but this might work for the blouse (they do send out swatches!).
Also, this or this probably wouldn't be the worst choice for the skirt fabric.
MotF (Cathy Bowden)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are awesome. Thank you so much for your help. I love the colors and fabrics you picked.
Bespin Base
MotF (Cathy Bowden)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

started the mock up bodice today (which I'll turn into another costume).
Bespin Base
MotF (Cathy Bowden)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi wrote:
Just because I enjoy doing vector graphics, here's a quick impression of what I think the imprinted / burned out symbol looks like. As I already said, it's IMHO some kind of stylized Naboo symbol:

Is the correct size I need to use please?
Bespin Base
MotF (Cathy Bowden)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went to all the websites you suggested and all the material is beautiful!

Now to figure out why my machine is stitching in just one place....... aarrggh..
Bespin Base
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotF wrote:
Is the correct size I need to use please?

The size of the symbol that would be correct for your vest depends, of course, on your body size - if you're 5'3'' the size will be different than if you're 6' tall. So there's no 'one size fits all' ;-)

Best way to determine this proportional size for yourself is to have a picture of yourself taken in a doorframe (from head to toes, with the shoes you're intending to wear), with a measurement tape attached to said doorframe (which should, obviously, also appear in the photo).

Then use an image editing software to lay your photo over that of Jobal Naberrie so that your figure perfectly overlaps hers.

When you did that, you just need to cut out the measurement tape from your photo to another layer in the image editing software so you can move it around to determine the size of the symbols; the length that the vest needs to have, skirt length and so on.

After that you'll have perfect length measurements for everything you need; and just need to adjust the width in proportion to said length.

Hope that helps :-)
MotF (Cathy Bowden)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mock up is almost finished (just have to sew the lining together) and I'll be posting a picture soon. I used McCall's pattern 4107, View F.

Now the underdress.......
Bespin Base
MotF (Cathy Bowden)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Skirt Reply with quote

found this material...what do you think? (Not that I didn't love the one you found)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/115743785/Spun_Silk_Brocade_Fabric_Steel_Grey/showimage.html
Bespin Base
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: