About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=818487fe054895ff8a31fe5d7e845408Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Patches on Flight Suits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pylar ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Patches on Flight Suits Reply with quote

I've read a couple threads about patches on formal costumes, but I'm still not clear about what is allowed or not. I'm working on updating my informal costume to formal status, and I currently have a New Republic patch on the shoulder.

I've always thought of my "in character" persona as a New Republic Pilot, and the patch is certianly recoginzable, but I'm not sure if it would be approved? So my question is can I leave the patch on? Will I need to remove it to get approved? Will my costume still be considered formal if I put it back once the costume is approved?
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Pilot LCJ, here's what we go on.

The Standards state NO patches because it's not seen in the movies and only on the toys. So if you're submitting, I'd take the patch off, submit, get approved, and then put the patch on if you so choose.

And yes, it will still be considered formal if you put it on after approval.

Now having said that ... SHOULD you submit your costume to work a Formal event, there is a SLIGHT chance that you may be asked to remove it for that event. This isn't something that comes up very often, 99% of the time, you're fine with it on, BUT the chance exists none-the-less.

WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have used orange velcro to affix patches so that they are removable if need be. Its an option.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you run the risk of being asked to remove the orange velcro as well if the event calls for screen accurate...

You could do as some people do and have 2 suits.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using safety pins to attach them? If you're careful you can hide the pin pretty well, and that way you can easily remove the patch and the pin without damaging the flightsuit.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JainaSoloFel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about reference images where the patch is clearly displayed? For example, Jagged Fel (Twin Suns 3) during Borleias:

Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JainaSoloFel wrote:
What about reference images where the patch is clearly displayed? For example, Jagged Fel (Twin Suns 3) during Borleias:

Now, I will freely admit that EU beyond the beginning of the NJO books is something I'm not an expert on, but isn't Jagged Fel a Chiss Clawcraft pilot? I don't believe this is a Rebel Legion costume (and I could be wrong) I would think the Empire of the Hand would be covered by the 501st.

Blackstar Squadron
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baron Fel is a formal Rebel Legion costume, and this looks to be a version of the 181st TIE Interceptor group suit he wore.
However, it does not sell the patch issue since it's not seen on the screen in any of the six movies.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia

Last edited by JediXXL (Gil Guemes) on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bobafett321 ()

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the charter, as long as you submit 3 LFL pictures, then you can be approved for formal status......
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobafett321 wrote:
According to the charter, as long as you submit 3 LFL pictures, then you can be approved for formal status......

...for that specific costume.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baron Fel (X-Wing, 181st flightsuit) is a formal RL costume. Standards are in Costuming Resources.

What I did with my patches for my 181st flightsuit, since the Fel TIE standards require an Imperial cog patch on the shoulders and the RL doesn't, is make a magnetic backing for the patch. I glued a half-dozen washers around the edge of the patch, then made a "pocket" with corresponding rare earth magnets that can attach to the inside of the flightsuit's shoulder. That way, when I'm wearing my TIE gear, everything's safe and secure. If I'm going X-Wing, I just pop then off, and no one can tell there's been a patch there. I'll be doing the same soon for my Phantom Squadron patch.

"Do they teach you to throw?"
"No, they teach us to cheat!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JainaSoloFel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jagged Fel is not 181st, although the flight suit is a variation on that design.

The reason I bring him up is that he defied his Father's orders and stayed in the New Republic to fight the Yuzzhan Vong, serving under Jaina Solo in Twin Suns squadron (the patch represented on his uniform). Twin Suns was a NR unit, so I'd argue he's RL approvable, even if only informal. For those members who are representing EU characters, I do think we need to be able to follow the source material for those characters. If the image/text shows a patch, a patch should be used.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine, but for formal costume submission, and formal movie canon events there are no patches allowed. Patches did not appear on the screen in any of the movies for the Rebels, therefore, they are not allowed.

What you do after you submit and are approved is entirely up to you. If you go to do a LFL event or one that calls for movie accurate costumes you may be asked to remove the patch iof you put one on.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tack on my patches with thread so it's easy to remove. I change my mind from time to time on whether I want to have patches or not.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum up, your costume has to match the source of the costume.

If you are making an X-Wing Pilot from ANH, then your costume has to look like the pilots as they are shown on screen in ANH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: