About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=160fe0535a3b671d075fc7875ea742e6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mirax Question... just out of morbid curiosity
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MEEKOtheBUZZSAW ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Mirax Question... just out of morbid curiosity Reply with quote

Hi! Long time lurker, first time post-er.

One of the many costumes that has been on my wish list is a Mirax. Before I spend money I've been attempting to go through stuff I alredy have. I came across a flight style bomber jacket that looks like this:

As I see most of the photos of approved costumes, all just have a center zip. That makes this one ineligible without drastic changes, correct? Wink[/quote]
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct. her jacket has a center zip.
MEEKOtheBUZZSAW ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
correct. her jacket has a center zip.

Thank you for the clarification!
Hoth Leia-10% Bespin Leia-0% Bespin Escape Leia-0% Endor Assault Leia-0%
Shaak Ti-0% Sar Labooda-0% Nomi Sunrider-0% SiLaan Wezz-0% TOR Jedi Armor-0%
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at one of the images from some of the comics, and it looks like this jacket style is correct.

As you can see in the circled area, there are flaps that stick out further than the collar on either side. I have only seen this effect on biker jackets and the side-zip bomber jackets. Otherwise, if it were completely center-zip, then it would be too wide to wear.

As for the actual location of the zipper, I do not thing it really matters. She is never shown, in what I have seen, with a zipped up jacket.

In the above, you can actually see the snap on the left side of the collar where the flap snaps down.

Here, again, you can see the flap from the jacket, along with some details on the wrist.

In this picture, you can see the actual flap on her profile.

As you can see in the above jacket, the flaps look similar to those in the Mirax pictures. As you can see from the zipper path in the biker jacket, it looks close enough to a center-line as to be worn open without looking off center.

The jacket that Meko posted; with the coloring, fur collar, and flaps; looks identical to the model that the artist was using for the jacket. All she would need to do is place the symbol on the back and possibly add some details to the cuffs.

But that's just my opinion based on the materials I have seen and dissected.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the issue I have.

We are dealing with artist interpretations of a character to decide what is good or not for a costume... that never existed. This is why 3 references are required for a costume to be approved.

The issue is artists tend to really make things up as they go along, changing the costume frame by frame... color and shapes mind you.

I have watched an artist color the same pants 3 diferent colors in the same comic book... yet we use it as a reference. Rolling Eyes

With EU costumes, and non traditional costumes its a real pain to seperate what legit, and what is an artist mistake. Personally I see nothing in any of the artist rendorings that tells me the jacket is based on an angled zipper style jacket. I have seen nothing however that shows that it is not an angles style zipper either! I have never seen a frontal picture of Mirax that shows the jacket clearly.

Example:
I have seen a patch that is on the jacket though, that is not on many of the other artist paintings.

So does that mean the standards should have a patch or no? Its not in all the references so should it be listed as a standard, not as a standard, or an option?

My points are that you could easily use other artist paintings to disprove another. So who is to decide which is correct? The jacket with or without the patch? This has always been my issue with allowing EU characters into the RL without solid evidence that a costume is one way or another.

We simply have allowed people to mis-match photos to prove thier idea of how a costume should or shouldn't look to gain membership when we should be taking a hard stance on costumes for a uniform look. This method has typically been done by allowing the first member who completes a costume... to help write the standards.

If you can find evidence to disprove a standard or support a standard, then by all means help us get it right, for nothing is more frustrating then mis-information or just simply getting it wrong.

Bob
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bring up a good point. However, we have both found a different part of the costume that is shown in only one or two sources. So, that should be listed as an optional part of the costume.

Mirax Terrick is described as wearing a dark brown or black jacket with a white or gray fur collar. We know this to be true from every picture of her (in this particular costume) and the descriptions of her in the X-Wing novels. Okay, so that is the requirement.

Now, there are descriptions and illustrations of the Pulsar Skate image on her back in the novel and only a couple of illustrations. The patch on the side of the arm is only found drawn by a couple of artists. The flap collar (i.e. side-zip jacket) is shown drawn in a couple of different comics by the same artist. So, all of these pieces should be optional.

So, the standards for Mirax Terrick are as follows:

Quote:
Mirax Terrik (“The Phantom Affair” by Michael Stackpole, Star Wars Customizable Card Game)
Required Items:
    1. Close-fitting tan pants with black stripes on the outside of the legs
    2. Calf-high black boots
    3. White long-sleeved plain t-shirt
    4. Black flight jacket with fleece collar, sleeve lacing and graphic design on back
    5. Belt with several pouches and thigh holster
Formal Requirements:
You must have at least one of the following items to be accepted:
    1. Light Blue driving gloves
    2. Mirax’s helmet
    3. Code Cylinders
    4. DL-44

Nowhere does it say that the center zip or side zip is a requirement or disqualification. It just says that she requires the sleeve lacing, the fur collar, and the Pulsar Skate graphic on the back. Because the patch on the arm and the side-zip style double collar are present in two different sources, you could include the following into the requirements:

Optional Items:
    1. Side-zip double collar
    2. Sleeve patch
    3. Cap with goggles
That seems to solve the original problem and it does not dismiss or disregard any of the required or formal costume requirements, nor does it disqualify any of the currently accepted Mirax Terrick costumers.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me!

Once the re-judging has been completed... make sure this is brought up to the DCO and LCJ for Fringe so we can get this fixed/ updated.

Good work!

Bob
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Sounds good to me!

Once the re-judging has been completed... make sure this is brought up to the DCO and LCJ for Fringe so we can get this fixed/ updated.

Good work!

Bob

Yes, please make sure to remind us about these proposed additions to the standard.

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Silvara (Anna Malinova)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one question, isn't the cap with goggles the same as Mirax helmet?

As for the jacket the biker jacket works fine and you can even find a very simple similar versions to Miraxs in comics... I used one like that and added some details as laces, code cylinders pocket ...

Me as Mirax:

Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helmet she is has under her arm by her hip, is clearly a hard helmet, where her cap and goggles looks soft to me. This is where I think the artist and the costumers collide...lol. I think the artist made a mistake by using the same colors for both forms of headwear IMO.

Bob
Silvara (Anna Malinova)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it's the same one as on both there are those cutouts running from ear to ear and the ear covers. The one under her arm is just seen from back. Will check the comics to see if I find some more pictures. And as I see it there is some solid base with some soft upper layer to the helmet/cap...
Anyway that's how I seen it so far, as I plan on making the helmet too Smile

Another picture:

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh,

I think I see what you mean about the helmet. She must have been carrying the helmet backwards under her arm. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bob
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a question on the Optional items, what is the basis for making a DL-44 on option to make the costume formal?

I may be mistaken, but I can't think of a single instance of Mirax carrying a DL-44. Not in any of the novels nor the comics. (and I think in the CCG image she is unarmed) I'm definately not opposed to including a blaster in the optional item list, but limiting it to one blaster over another (say a DH-17 or even E-11) makes no sense if there are no real references to the specific blaster.

I also think, that since (as far as I can recall) the blaster isn't specific, it shouldn't be in the "one must be included for Formal" list. It should be just an option.

But that's just me.

Blackstar Squadron
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...

Far too many reference photos show her without the rig/blaster... thus it should be eliminated from the formal requirement. If for some reason it is written in the novel it then should be added as an option to the costume.

Keep in mind, no changes can be made to any of the standards till the re-judging has been completed.

Bob
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(to honor my wish every costumer has a blaster lol) not a requirement option, but still an option to carry a blaster lol I don't think the inclusion of a blaster should prevent an otherwise complete costume from being formal.

She does have a Blaster in both the novels and the Comics.

Another thing, to the best of my knowledge, Mirax is never described in a novel as wearing this outfit. Usually the Novels contain the Blue jumpsuit version of her costume.

please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Blackstar Squadron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: