About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f687e70a2e4503a687bcd04c9a10bd0aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

x wing flightsuit construction, much information needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightowl12020 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: x wing flightsuit construction, much information needed Reply with quote

I have searched over various forums and tutorials for conversion of coveralls and found vital bits of information missing. Nowhere have I found proper measurements for placement of the additional pockets or the final measurements of the pocket sizes. The tutorials I've seen have patterns/templates for the pockets and basic placement but neglect to clarify if the measurements of the pockets are the final size of the completed pockets or if that is the size before sewing. Also missing is any information about seam allowances for these pieces.

Another missing measurement is the placement of the pockets. How far down from the shoulder seam do the sleeve pockets start, and what is the distance between the upper cargo leg pockets and the bottom of the side entry leg pockets. I have seen some with a gap and some that are placed right at the bottom seam of the internal leg pocket. I guess I'm a bit picky when it comes to these items, since I do a lot of Historic uniform reproductions and I like to get things correct when creating a known piece of clothing.

If anyone has these bits of information or knows of a site or thread I might have missed somwhere, I would appreciate it so I can get this project off my table and completed. Thank you. Smile
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exact measurements? I'd PM Woofer from the Canadian Base. He may have that information... I think we pretty much just eyeballed it and made it look good for those of us with made suits. There's a diagram in the tutorials section.

I hope that helps.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nightowl12020 ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you JediXXL, I'll give him a try. I've already looked at the tutorials. They are what I'm talking about, no information other than pictures, and not enough detail in the meager text. I guess I'm too picky. Smile
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, unless you're already invested in some coveralls or are tight on time, you might want to wait for the suits that MonCal is working on mass-producing. He's a stickler for accuracy and perfection.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35404
nightowl12020 ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kievan, perhaps I should contact MonCal for the information then. I already have the coveralls I need and I've been doing costuming and tailoring for over 30 years. I kind of prefer doing my own work. That way, I know it will fit the way I want it and the only wait time depends on my own project list, which seems to get longer every day. Smile Thanks again.
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alderaan Base has tutorials, I used these, they were a lifesaver!

http://www.alderaanbase.com/reference/xwingcostume/

There's even diagrams with measurements for the pockets.
nightowl12020 ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at that tutorial, and while it is nice, there is information missing. They don't say if the measurements of the patterns are the final size or if you have to add a seam allowance and there is little information regarding placement, other than the rough sketch. I'm a little picky I guess. I like more precise measurements, need more input. Smile
Jedi_Boyer (Michel Boyer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pdf patterns of all the pockets for the x-wing flight suit. If you will pm me your email, I will send them to you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent. Thank you. Smile
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, don't get "target fixation" on a specific measurements on a garment.

If you put a pocket designed for a suit that fits someone who is 6' tall on a suit for someone 5'2", it will wrap halfway around the arm.

The movies have it easy: "To fit wardrobe they all need to be between 5'5" and 5'10", 150 to 180 pounds. Can you have 20 on set by Monday?"

Our goal is to re-recreate the look of the costumes and props as they appear on the screen.

If in doubt, go watch the movie again! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank everyone for their input. Thanks again Jedi_Boyer for the patterns and additional info. Almost done and ready to move on to the vest. I did have to make some minor pattern adjustments, since the pockets were a bit large for my suit after I tailored it to the proper size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: