About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8214d27ee2bf1960a50c09fe7d2d42c7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Reorganizing Jedi Forum in sub-categories
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JedHead wrote:
I suggested having the forums require a sticky thread at the top of each category, like on the TF.N Costuming Forum, where people would check FIRST before starting a thread on something a thread on a topic already posted previously, thus preventing multiple threads and confusion:

Along that train of thought, would it be helpful or not to reorganize the costume forums so that we have a section for Luke, a section for Anakin, a section for Generic Jedi, Obi-Wan, lightsabers - etc? This forum is now like, 20 pages long so people tend not to page through to find all the Luke threads.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay_Dee wrote:
JedHead wrote:
I suggested having the forums require a sticky thread at the top of each category, like on the TF.N Costuming Forum, where people would check FIRST before starting a thread on something a thread on a topic already posted previously, thus preventing multiple threads and confusion:

Along that train of thought, would it be helpful or not to reorganize the costume forums so that we have a section for Luke, a section for Anakin, a section for Generic Jedi, Obi-Wan, lightsabers - etc? This forum is now like, 20 pages long so people tend not to page through to find all the Luke threads.

I think that would be a good idea. We could model it the same way we developed a sub-forum in the Standards thread for Clones. This would allow us to group the individual threads in the main Jedi forum for each face character, leaving generic/all other questions in the main forum.

Now finding someone with the mod power to read and move all those stray threads... Wink I guess that's why they are called 'mods', eh?
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haz mod power. It would be my first crack at adding a sub-forum (I've only set forum permissions).

I think it could help to have as many sub categories as you can think of - like a General Lightsaber forum, what have you.

I guess list what you'd like? By browsing this forum I can see a need for:

Anakin Skywalker
Obi-Wan Kenobi
General Lightsaber discussion
Luke Skywalker
Other Prequel (Old Republic) Jedi
Expanded Universe Jedi (? - this is tough because some EU also are in the prequels like Quinlan vos)
If there are already enough threads you could have a Quinlan Vos category I guess?
Generic Jedi (old and new republic)

Once the sub forums are created then the existing threads can be moved into the proper forum. Whoever has mod status on this forum should be able to do it.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How granular do you want to set it up? Four different OWK costumes, one sub-forum to each one? However many costumes Luke has? Or do we just go with 'here's your one stop shop for <character name>' and leave it at that?
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking a forum for each costume of a named character would get really busy. Perhaps a single forum for Obi-wan, one for Anakin, one for Luke...and so on.

But I do like the idea of having costuming information for the Rebel Legion on the Rebel Legion forums. Sure, there's some great sites for costume construction out there, but my preference would be for everything about RL costuming to be here on our forums. (I'm not saying to discourage the development of other sites and would never discourage anyone from using them).

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediMasterMark wrote:
How granular do you want to set it up? Four different OWK costumes, one sub-forum to each one? However many costumes Luke has? Or do we just go with 'here's your one stop shop for <character name>' and leave it at that?

I dunno, I'd hope that just a forum for all Anakin (not set up into specfic sub forums for each type of Anakin) All, Obi-Wan, etc. could work? Let me hop over and look at how the Clones and the Fringe are set up. *edit* it does not seem that the troopers section is subdivided at all. But Fringe is, there is a subforum for all Han and it is not further broken into more sub-forums. Just all Han in the Han forum, and all Wookiee threads in the wookiee forum.

Not saying every single face character gets a forum (that would bet massive), but the main ones who have lots of threads stacked up here in the 24 pages of this forum should for sure and then others like Barris, Aayla, etc could be in a " Other Prequel (Old Republic) Jedi" forum to catch the rest? Maybe? And an EU Jedi forum for Corran Horn, Mara Jade - etc? Just ideas to help organize this forum that has gotten pretty massive so people hopefully find threads more easily Smile

Kay-Dee's Costume Site

Last edited by Kay_Dee (Kathy) on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. If you'd like we can split this topic of sub-forum organization off into it's own thread, and bring DragonStar into the conversation. The detachment leader should have a say in the forum organization and if they want it to go forward. Smile Just let me know and I can split the topic.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay_Dee wrote:
Just ideas to help organize this forum that has gotten pretty massive so people hopefully find threads more easily Smile

sorry, this is so off topic, but! It's a great idea. One of the things I've noticed in here is that it's REALLY hard to find information you need. I once tried a simple search for some costume info, but ended up with like a billion pages. Some costume subforums might help!

Mynocks deliver Babies

Last edited by Mara Skywalker (Anna) on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a single sub-forum for each character working. That would cut down on searches through the forum immensely.

I've reached out to Rob and Michael to see if they would join in the conversation.
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking a Padmé forum too? Or am I just too blind that I didn't see it on your list? Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doh...ahem...I was too fast there....of course Padmé wouldn't have a sub board in the jedi forum....

But! I do think this would really help too. Not just splitting up Jedi, but some of the other forums also? Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mara Skywalker wrote:
I'm thinking a Padmé forum too? Or am I just too blind that I didn't see it on your list? Smile

Yup, Mark (LMO) now knows there is a potential for this in other costume forums and should be reaching out to various detachment COs to see if they have interest in re-organizing their forums at all. So... we'll wait and see if the DCO or Mark starts a thread in the Royalty section. Don't want to jump the gun. We'll let him talk it over with the DCOs first.

This just came up here because of the entire Anakin info organization/gathering discussion. Natural evolution, I wanted you all to know it is possible to reorganize the forums is all. I never even really knew this was possible until I became a council member.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Anduril ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay_Dee wrote:

I guess list what you'd like? By browsing this forum I can see a need for:

Anakin Skywalker
Obi-Wan Kenobi
General Lightsaber discussion
Luke Skywalker
Other Prequel (Old Republic) Jedi
Expanded Universe Jedi (? - this is tough because some EU also are in the prequels like Quinlan vos)
If there are already enough threads you could have a Quinlan Vos category I guess?
Generic Jedi (old and new republic)

I think this would be a perfect way to set up the Jedi forums making it a lot easier for people to find all the information they need.

Check out my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/needleandblade
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE this idea! Amadalia I'm a big fan of hierakies and making browsing easier. The search function on the site is useless anyway, so it's vital the forums are easy to browse, and the information needed is easy to locate. Smile

Therefore I suggest this order: (for subforums)

Old Republic Jedi
- Anakin Skywalker
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Visas Marr
- Other Jedi
New Republic Jedi
- Luke Skywalker
- Mara Jade
- Corran Horn
- Other Jedi
General Lightsaber Discussion

And the main board would then be for generic jedi (old and new). Smile

Another possibility is this:
Prequel Jedi
- Anakin Skywalker
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Other Jedi (from the movies, Barriss, Luminara, Aayla etc.)
Expanded Universe Jedi
- Mara Jade
- Corran Horn
- Visas Marr
- Quinlan Vos (if he have enough threads for it)
- Other Jedi (not from the movies)
Luke Skywalker
General Lightsaber Discussion

I'll be honest and say I don't like the second suggestion I made; it has unintended overlaps between categories, inequalities in hieraky layers, many possibilities of being misunderstood/posting mistakes, and just creates too many questions of where to post what.
The first suggestion has the advantage of leaning against the categories used in our standards, and should be easier to figure out. Smile There may be a need for more individual character sub-subforums; the above is only what Kay-dee listed as an example of how a hieraki can be done. (Alright, Visas Marr was my own addition to demonstrate how the categorization will affect the hieraki). Wink

What do you say? I'll be happy to work on the hieraki if/when more characters/subjects are identified that need their own sub(sub)forum.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that leaving this main board for Generic Jedi will make sense or not? It's up to Mark and the Detachment CO I guess. I just want you to all be aware that no matter what, you will always have this general outer forum that has no clear stipulations other than "Jedi forum" and without defining what goes in it it could become chaotic with people still posting about Luke out here or whatever unless at first glance they see above a "Luke Skywalker" forum. I can sort of see the outer forum here being used for the posts that just don't have a clear classification. The "I'm Back" posts or "My Jedi" posts or "Post your Jedi Tattoo" just look at the sort of posts in the outer most forum of the Fringe section to get an idea.

With sub forums - if you make a sub forum for "Old Republic" and then further sub forums for characters beneath that it will *still* have an outer section that has no categorization and then the further sub forums beneath it so it can sometimes be hard to get people to post in the correct place.

So that's the only reason I suggested making the sub forums seen here in this outer most forum very clear such as 'luke skywalker' 'obi-wan kenobi' etc that will catch a newbie's eye because people do not tend to dig deep into sub forums. (We've already seen this happen in our Base Command forums.) And maybe the other less known characters as "Other Old Republic Jedi" beneath the popular name charcters.

That's just my suggestion based on how people have been using the forums and how they tend to not dig deep into sub-furum after sub-forum.

I think the LMO and the DCO/XO will need to be the ones to come to final agreement on the organizational solution Smile

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: